New Squier Starcasters - Classic Vibe, Contemporary, and Affinity

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Re: New Squier Starcasters - Classic Vibe, Contemporary, and Affinity

Post by Maggieo » Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:20 am

skeletonsmith wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:50 am
I have mine since it came out new (2019?), added a Les Trem, Roller-Bridge and new Knobs to it and am still very in Love with the Starcaster. I even like the Stock PU's. And the Ultra-Thin Neck feels great to me.

Right there. A perfect Starcaster.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

czech-one-2
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by czech-one-2 » Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:10 pm

X-Ray Spex wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:10 am
czech-one-2 wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:14 am
I ended up with a Bigsby on mine. Its really my favorite guitar at the moment!

Thread bump.

How are you liking this one two years on?
I changed it up a bit with some passive split humbuckers from a Fender Meteora and like it even more now.
Unfortunately, 2 years on I'm no longer in a band. But its a keeper for sure!

skeletonsmith
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by skeletonsmith » Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:44 am

Maggieo wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:20 am
skeletonsmith wrote:
I have mine since it came out new (2019?), added a Les Trem, Roller-Bridge and new Knobs to it and am still very in Love with the Starcaster. I even like the Stock PU's. And the Ultra-Thin Neck feels great to me.

Right there. A perfect Starcaster.
Thanks a lot! i would like to have the Natural one too, love the look, but that would be overkill.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:09 am

skeletonsmith wrote:
I agree with Maggie, those are perfect mods to put on one of these reissues. Couldn't think of any way to improve it.

Out of curiosity, how's the weight on yours? I've been on a recent kick of semihollow and hollowbody guitars, so I'm now looking at the Starcaster with renewed appreciation.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

skeletonsmith
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by skeletonsmith » Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:42 am

I live without a Scale and never weighed a Guitar in my Life. It's not heavy at all, maybe best comparable to a Mustang or Cyclone for me.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:34 am

Never remember learning when I still had one - the pickups in these the same as Fender’s non-accurate version they did before relaunching the WRHB or are they (fingers crossed but won’t hold my breath) built more like the old/real WRHBs? Have to assume so but never confirmed on my own

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:17 am

Mechanical Birds wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:34 am
Never remember learning when I still had one - the pickups in these the same as Fender’s non-accurate version they did before relaunching the WRHB or are they (fingers crossed but won’t hold my breath) built more like the old/real WRHBs? Have to assume so but never confirmed on my own
Yeah, they're the 'fake' WRHBs.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

pikmin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pikmin » Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:41 pm

JSett wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:17 am
Mechanical Birds wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:34 am
Yeah, they're the 'fake' WRHBs.
Yeah « fake » but new designed and different from the old ones …
I like them a lot actually .

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:10 pm

I have MIM ones in my JMJM that my friend rewound and stuff. I wish they’d make a more affordable version with AlNiCo or something because there’s no way the rest of the process for making them is that far out of bounds compared to making the crappy PAF thing they were before.

I realize lots of others did this and charge a premium and they wouldn’t wanna make cheaper versions to compete with the real ones but like, they do it for every other kind of pickup they make ya know

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:22 pm

Mechanical Birds wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:10 pm
I have MIM ones in my JMJM that my friend rewound and stuff. I wish they’d make a more affordable version with AlNiCo or something because there’s no way the rest of the process for making them is that far out of bounds compared to making the crappy PAF thing they were before.

I realize lots of others did this and charge a premium and they wouldn’t wanna make cheaper versions to compete with the real ones but like, they do it for every other kind of pickup they make ya know
Eyguitar have several relatively inexpensive Alnico-polepiece-based 4-wire "WRHB" pickups, both regular and hotter ...
https://www.eyguitarmusic.com/Eric-Cust ... _2727.html
(the one review suggests they may compare favourably to boutique options)
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

MattK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MattK » Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:37 pm

Damn, that photo above makes me want to see one of these Starcasters with a trapeze or Frequensator tailpiece. I guess the stoptail holes would spoil it a bit, but ...

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:30 pm

MatthewK wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:37 pm
Damn, that photo above makes me want to see one of these Starcasters with a trapeze or Frequensator tailpiece. I guess the stoptail holes would spoil it a bit, but ...
You could totally stick those TOM plugs on it, or a "Custom Made" plaque like the vintage Gibsons that got Bigsbys, that would be pretty fun.
timtam wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:22 pm
Eyguitar have several relatively inexpensive Alnico-polepiece-based 4-wire "WRHB" pickups, both regular and hotter ...
That's exactly what I'd stick in a Squier Starcaster if I bought one. Also, the "vintage output" ones are way lower resistance than the vintage WRHBs, but that's what appeals to be about them. Those are only 20% higher resistance than vintage Firebirds, on bigger bobbins, so if they're wound with 42AWG, those are gonna be really nice and sparkly.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:52 am

timtam wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:22 pm
Mechanical Birds wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:10 pm

Good looking out! I wonder if I could fit them in the Fender covers

Polyhistor
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Polyhistor » Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:10 am

skeletonsmith wrote:

This is a beautiful guitar!!! I was wondering what parts you used to modify it? What is the tuneomatic bridge used and is there a specific size? What is the tremolo you used to replace the stoptail and did you have to consider size? Where did you find the knobs that look like the original Starcaster ones? What is the thread size on the Starcaster and is that a consideration when replacing parts? Thank you!! ;D

skeletonsmith
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by skeletonsmith » Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:18 pm

Thanks a lot! :)

The Roller Bridge is made by Göldo, it's this one here:
https://www.thomann.de/de/goeldo_turnom ... bridge.htm

The Tremolo is a Duesenberg Les Trem II, a great Solution for all Stoptail-Guitars. (just don't expect to Dive-Bomb, it's more subtle)
https://www.thomann.de/de/goeldo_turnom ... bridge.htm

Everything is simple to install and totally Drop in and reversible. No drilling or any Stuff involved. Done in 20 Minutes.
I can't really remember where I got the Knobs, i think they are from Banzai-Music, a Retailer in Germany. They have LOTS of Knobs.
I also put a Graph-Tech Stringtree on it, for smoother Trem-Use.

Hope I could help!