Hardcase - to stash or not to stash?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.

What purpose does a hardcase have for you?

To store guitar in at home
38%
Only use when the guitar leaves the house
20%
Only use for valuable/vintage guitars
9%
Stack in corner of room gathering dust
9%
Stuffed in the attic/cupboard/etc and forgotten about
23%
Sell them
2%

Total votes: 56

garyptaszek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Hardcase - to stash or not to stash?

Post by garyptaszek » Wed Jul 10, 2024 3:30 am

I used to use my hiscox cases for storing my main live guitars, and everytime my guitars left the house.
Since downsizing and getting a double gig bag i just use my 2 hard cases for storing whatever tele and jazzmaster I’m not playing right now.

Mighty_Zoltan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mighty_Zoltan » Wed Jul 10, 2024 11:11 am

sal paradise wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2024 11:33 pm
JSett wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:54 pm
Well, I'm actually pretty surprised by the results so far. I can't believe so many people can be actually bothered to take a guitar in & out of a hardcase every time at home to play!
Agreed. That would be quite literally the death of any guitar practice for me. I need to reduce the effort to stand any chance. Even cables unplugged can be enough of a barrier.
I keep a little Gretsch “Jim Dandy on a stand in the living room and usually have a cheap Epiphone on a stand in my studio space, but I just get my guitars out of the hard cases. Doesn’t make any difference to me whether I have to undo a zip or a latch. It’s not in a safe!

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Wed Jul 10, 2024 2:23 pm

i have one or two out at home usually but the ones in the studio stay in their cases unless i'm there using them of course. i clicked the "store at home" option even though it's not entirely accurate for me.

Beltone
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Beltone » Thu Jul 11, 2024 5:26 am

I have 3 hard cases and 3 gig bigs and it’s a mix that works for me. My 3 less often played guitars are stacked in hard cases and my 3 frequent flyers are in gig bags scattered around the house for quick access.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Thu Jul 11, 2024 6:57 am

Sorry to say all but one of my electric guitars currently reside in a storage unit, mostly inside hard cases (though some are in gig-bags, both semi-rigid and utterly flaccid). Notably, my hobbyist Mustang mostly lies about in the hard case you, OP JSett, kindly gifted me a while back.

I will say that the hard cases stack better than soft ones do, but they all feel more or less equally protected, whatever variety of case they're in. But, yeah, stackability makes the case for the hard case.

Ideally I'd get my collection down to about half a dozen, all with period-correct (or genuine original) cases. It should come as no surprise that I also hold onto the original boxes stuff comes in whenever possible.

Tangentially, I have a pipe dream to record an LP's-worth of songs using more-or-less all my electric guitars, thus capturing their souls for posterity, after which I hope to have fulfilled the silly fantasy that I need all those guitars because each can lend an unique character to a recording at some point, and can then happily release the majority of them into the wild.

With fitted cases, in many cases. :D

R_T_Hermit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by R_T_Hermit » Thu Jul 11, 2024 8:47 am

In the early 70’s I was following a VW bus pulling a homemade trailer on the way to the Lake Jordan Marina and Yacht Club somewhat north of Montgomery. The gate/ramp opened itself—for no reason that I’ve ever figured out—and I watched 2 amps, a telecaster and my Gretsch Nashville bounce out. Luckily I stopped in time, and was able to block the highway. The telecaster case flew open and the neck broke off, the amps needed some tubes, but that big, heavy, Gretsch case with all those ‘useless’ fasteners only took on a bit of road rash. If any guitar leaves my house it’s in a case.
Isn’t Sunburst a guarantee it’s NOT a refin?

patski
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by patski » Thu Jul 11, 2024 2:52 pm

I have two hard cases and a gig bag.

I hate the hard cases as I live in a very small apartment with my partner, son, and two cats. They take up space, they're ugly, and I prefer my guitars out so I am inspired to play 'em!

I'm considering selling one of them but I'm hemming and hawing over it.

patski
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by patski » Thu Jul 11, 2024 2:55 pm

sal paradise wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2024 11:33 pm
JSett wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:54 pm
Well, I'm actually pretty surprised by the results so far. I can't believe so many people can be actually bothered to take a guitar in & out of a hardcase every time at home to play!
Agreed. That would be quite literally the death of any guitar practice for me. I need to reduce the effort to stand any chance. Even cables unplugged can be enough of a barrier.
Same, same, saaaaaaaaaame.

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Thu Jul 11, 2024 4:58 pm

Most guitars live in their hard cases at home with a couple coming out to hang out on the stand periodically.

Mono case for playing out - I think it offers close to what a hard case does (maybe more than the Rickenbacker foam and plastic ones) and easier to move around.

The most recent guitar (Yamaha sa1200s) doesn’t fit in my mono bag so I’ll either haul around the (old but non original) hard case or (just as likely) leave it at home in favor of a guitar that does fit in the mono case.

I think my Marr has been in its case a handful of times in the years since I’ve owned it. The (lovely!) Marr case hasn’t left the house.