SQUIER CV JAGUAR 70 USER ?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

SQUIER CV JAGUAR 70 USER ?

Post by ludobag1 » Fri May 03, 2024 2:52 am

Since long time i haven't a jag ,and this one in black catch my eyes
don't find a thread about ?
how they were ? i think i will try one soon ,things to look out on it ?

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: SQUIER CV JAGUAR 70 USER ?

Post by BoringPostcards » Fri May 03, 2024 4:38 am

I have one in Surf Green. I wanted a black one, but couldn’t get one. I have zero complaints. I used to own an AVRI, and while it was a tad different in feel (mostly the nitro), the overall tone and everything is there.
I may change the pickups out eventually and swap out the vibrato/bridge for a Mastery kit, but I don’t feel like I need to do those things.
Ok, maybe the vibrato needs to go. It’s not the best, but the rest of the guitar is SOLID.

Squier really did a good job on these CVs.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Fri May 03, 2024 6:01 am

ludobag1 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 2:52 am
I'm going to imagine what makes it difficult to find a thread on it is that common words like "Jazzmaster" and "Jaguar" can't be searched using the built-in function. There's definitely been a bunch of threads about the CVs.

Regardless, to actually answer your question, I mostly agree with @BoringPostcards, the primary difference in opinion (even if our solution ends up being the same) is that the trem is serviceable with a tiny bit of work (disassemble the trem, all of five screws, and use a flat sanding block to clean the edge of the pivot plate so it comes to a point instead of the uneven shape of where it was die cut).

My #1 Jag is my FSR metallic purple CV. It was stock for quite a bit and I maintain that the factory Roswell OEM'd pickups are actually fairly stellar. That said, I did swap them for a set of Sunday Handwound Wandas which are a hair brighter and what I felt the guitar needed (for my personal tastes) and it has an AVRI trem and second-generation Staytrem bridge (the screws for the E's go all the way through to the other side of the plate). My other Jags are a mix of parts I bought separately, mostly from Squiers but a mix of CV and VM with aftermarket trems and pickups.

Main thing is to just make sure your neck angle is good to get the bridge up high enough and you're golden!

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Fri May 03, 2024 6:10 am

GilmourD wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 6:01 am
ludobag1 wrote:
Regardless, to actually answer your question, I mostly agree with @BoringPostcards, the primary difference in opinion (even if our solution ends up being the same) is that the trem is serviceable with a tiny bit of work (disassemble the trem, all of five screws, and use a flat sanding block to clean the edge of the pivot plate so it comes to a point instead of the uneven shape of where it was die cut).
I failed to mention I also had to do the sanding bit on the knife edge. I still find it feels somewhat cheap compared even to my Japan unit on my CIJ JM.
It works well enough now, but I’d still feel more comfortable down the road with a sturdier unit (AVRI or Mastery).
I plan on giving this Jag to my daughter someday, so I want it to be that extra bit better for her.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Fri May 03, 2024 6:31 am

BoringPostcards wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 6:10 am
GilmourD wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 6:01 am
ludobag1 wrote:
I failed to mention I also had to do the sanding bit on the knife edge. I still find it feels somewhat cheap compared even to my Japan unit on my CIJ JM.
It works well enough now, but I’d still feel more comfortable down the road with a sturdier unit (AVRI or Mastery).
I plan on giving this Jag to my daughter someday, so I want it to be that extra bit better for her.
I've been putting the AllParts trem on a few builds and have actually been really happy with it. The plate is thick and it has the lock. Like the CV trem they do need the pivot plate cleaned up and I do put Staytrem arms on them but they've been super solid!

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ludobag1 » Fri May 03, 2024 10:00 am

try it this afternoon and buy it
the +
light for a jag ,block and binding, sound really cool ,no need to change the pups at first seen ,fret are cool ,no need fret dress
the -
need a fucking set up , new set of strings 11 52 ,oiling the fretboard
as i am doing at this time
;D

the beer is not for the fretboard ;D

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Fri May 03, 2024 10:13 am

ludobag1 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 10:00 am
try it this afternoon and buy it
the +
light for a jag ,block and binding, sound really cool ,no need to change the pups at first seen ,fret are cool ,no need fret dress
the -
need a fucking set up , new set of strings 11 52 ,oiling the fretboard
as i am doing at this time
;D

the beer is not for the fretboard ;D
That minus has applied to every single guitar I've ever encountered in my 30 years of playing, including all my time in MI retail. Image

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Fri May 03, 2024 11:21 am

We have a FSR shell pink 70s Jag in our household (my girlfriend‘s - but she hardly ever plays these days)
And I have two more (sanded) CV 70s Jag necks for parts builds. They are great!
It came set up pretty great from Andertons. Very low action (probably not as lively as it could be because of that) but I didn‘t mess with it much.
Pickups are way more to my liking than the VM ones - and don’t feed back as easily as the MIJ ones. Bridge is alright. Nothing to complain. The Tort actually looks better than that from the Vintera line.
The arm sits tight but the vibrato is the weakest point in the chain. And we have a weird volume knob that needed a rubber as a spacer… otherwise it would short out.

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ludobag1 » Fri May 03, 2024 12:16 pm

2 hours and half to set up it
the trem was not thighten , the neck plate also
i have put 11 52 pyramide string on it ,tighten the truss , secure the saddle leg screws , enlarge the string slot on nut for (bone nut !)
i think it will be ready tomorow for rehearsale
serious guitar for the money i think ;)
the trem seems good on mine after proper set up ,tighten the spring , the inner plate // to the body
i let it dry for 2 hours , pyramide string don t take long time to be usable ( not like e b )
verify all and if it is good tomorow i try it to rehearsale ;D
as i try long time in store the pups seems really good and if not i have some peter leonard in spare
what s suprise me , it doesn't have a wire for trem cavity but it is not noisy maybe the bridge is grounded ?
last miss why not matching headstock :(

as i don t have the time today next week the guard will be jaguarised :w00t:

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ludobag1 » Sat May 04, 2024 12:04 pm

rehearsale return ,five song and the bridge fall down :ph34r:
then with some aluminium cigarette foil catch in the legs thread to contreact the gap in thread the rest of rehearsale was good
sound good easy to play it is ok ,the pups are really good for me despite the bridge fall i think i will use often even if i still prefer my jazz in fact ;)

rocko_the_cat
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by rocko_the_cat » Thu May 09, 2024 3:47 pm

ludobag1 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 12:04 pm
rehearsale return ,five song and the bridge fall down :ph34r:
then with some aluminium cigarette foil catch in the legs thread to contreact the gap in thread the rest of rehearsale was good
sound good easy to play it is ok ,the pups are really good for me despite the bridge fall i think i will use often even if i still prefer my jazz in fact ;)
My CV 70's Jaguar also had issues with the bridge dropping. I used LocTite to lock the threads in place and it's been working well ever since. I originally wrapped the posts in duct tape to keep it from sinking, but that had two issues: 1) It no longer rocked in place (arguably not an issue for some people) and 2) It seems to have broken the grounding so there was additional noise.

I've since replaced the tremolo with an AVRI (drop-in replacement!), the tuners with locking tuners, and the pickups with Pure Vintage 65's. None of these upgrades were really necessary, but it was a fun project. The stock pickups were really nice!

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ludobag1 » Fri May 10, 2024 3:15 am

i have secured the legs screws by putting a nut to act as conternut ,this way the nut avoid the gap in thread ,and no more bridge falling
i have also ,clean and degrease the saddle ,otate the nikel were strings pass (the string gliss on it,the saddle were too clean and strings don' t stay where they must)to have better catch and retighten the trem spring ,the bridge is 6 mm hight from the guard then don't need shim
adjust the nut hight too,to have correst value at first fret ,and know it seems to rock solid,the bridge stay in center
normal offset setup routine in fact
last thing i haven't done is the bend in the arm will do soon

Tiga
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Tiga » Sat May 11, 2024 2:51 am

Congrats on your new Jaguar. I have the CV in shell pink and did what a lot of others do here. I used some Stew Mac shims to increase the neck angle, I put loc-tite on the bridge threads, I put some electrical tape on the bridge posts, and in a AVRI trem. Set it up and it's been just great.

tombs
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by tombs » Sat May 11, 2024 7:34 am

Nice... I'm new to offsets, I got myself a CV Jayymasters and with some minor modifications it's a fine guitar. My main guitars are 2 proline Gretsches. The JM is a nice backup and something different. It will be hard to avoid a Jag and the CV looks a fine choice.

RockStarNick
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RockStarNick » Thu May 16, 2024 11:31 am

So, I don't own a SV 70s Jag, but I've played one at GC. My thoughts:

- it came with 9s (I think), which are a total disservice to the guitar. 10s or 11s would make it sing way better.
- fret ends were rough, but this could also just be a GC humidity thing
- fretboard was rough, BUT... so was the board on my Vintera Jag (which was almost $1K more)

My biggest complaint: this particular SV70s Jag at GC had a chip in the finish, revealing a coat of paint that was THICK. Not just a little thick. I'm talking almost a full mm thick.

Now, I know the rule is "if it plays good, and it sounds good, it IS good" but man... that coat of paint gave me pause.

Other than that, solid guitar for the money that, with a little TLC, could be a fun little ripper.