Modern Player Jaguar: Neck size and shape?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Modern Player Jaguar: Neck size and shape?

Post by GilmourD » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:58 am

Does anybody know what the dimensions are on the Modern (not Classic) Player Jaguar neck? I can't find anything definitive. Just that the MP Jazzmaster neck is almost as much of a chonky boy as the Mascis neck, but that's not the Jag.

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Modern Player Jaguar: Neck size and shape?

Post by alexpigment » Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:38 am

One of the great things about used gear at Chicago Music Exchange is that they publish neck specs. Here's a listing for one:

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/pr ... 11-1254394

Seems decidedly "not chunky" I guess.

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alexpigment » Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:46 am

On a tangent here, I think the reason the Modern Player Jazzmaster neck is roughly the same as the Mascis because they were made in the same factory, and they probably only made one Jazzmaster neck profile. The 'C' in the serial number is China, and the 'G' is "Grand Reward" (the factory). It's then either followed by an F for Fender or S for Squier. All original Classic Vibes and the Mascis were CGS, and all Modern Players are CGF. Apologies for the pointless info ;)

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:45 am

alexpigment wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:38 am
One of the great things about used gear at Chicago Music Exchange is that they publish neck specs. Here's a listing for one:

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/pr ... 11-1254394

Seems decidedly "not chunky" I guess.
alexpigment wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:46 am
On a tangent here, I think the reason the Modern Player Jazzmaster neck is roughly the same as the Mascis because they were made in the same factory, and they probably only made one Jazzmaster neck profile. The 'C' in the serial number is China, and the 'G' is "Grand Reward" (the factory). It's then either followed by an F for Fender or S for Squier. All original Classic Vibes and the Mascis were CGS, and all Modern Players are CGF. Apologies for the pointless info ;)
Ah, that's pretty nifty. And, yeah, doesn't seem very much so... I was hoping the neck I was looking at purchasing was on the thicker side.

And I did know about the factory codes. Same factory, actually, as my CV Strat, although that's CGRK19, and likely not the same exact profile but definitely comfy even if on the thinner side. Did they make any Jags in China besides the MP? Even the VMs were Indonesia.

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alexpigment » Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:20 pm

GilmourD wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:45 am
Same factory, actually, as my CV Strat, although that's CGRK19, and likely not the same exact profile but definitely comfy even if on the thinner side. Did they make any Jags in China besides the MP? Even the VMs were Indonesia.
That's interesting about the CGRK serial. I would guess that they came up with a new serial number scheme in the short time that they switched to laurel fretboards before Squier stopped using Grand Reward for manufacturing.

As for other Chinese Jags, not to my knowledge. If they did, it would have been something in the Paranormal series; those are made in the newer Chinese factory where the current Mascis guitars are made (I believe it's the "Yako" factory). There *is* the Super Sonic, but that neck is obviously reversed and it's not terribly chunky (.83 to .89 according to CME) - also all of those necks are strangely pale ;)