Why do people hate the Dragster humbuckers in the J-Craft Jaguars?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
User avatar
dangayle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:29 am

Why do people hate the Dragster humbuckers in the J-Craft Jaguars?

Post by dangayle » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:23 pm

I have both the J-Craft Jaguar Special HH and the Baritone Special HH guitars, and I love them to death. Especially the baritone.

One thing I've noted is that most of the people who have bought them in the past immediately swapped the Dragster humbuckers out, and I don't know why. I think they sound great. They're unique sounding, neither like anything that's ever been in a Jaguar and nothing really like a Gibson humbucker either. Not too hot, but thick. The bridge does have a bit of a honkiness too it, like a mid-range resonance, but I look at that as a feature, not a flaw.

Why do people dislike them so much?

User avatar
JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 8887
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:33 pm
Location: Old Hampshire, Old England

Re: Why do people hate the Dragster humbuckers in the J-Craft Jaguars?

Post by JSett » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:04 am

I had one of the Baritones up until recently and I thought the Dragsters sounded great in it - really suited the tone of the instrument.

I had one of the normal guitar ones about 12 years ago and hated the pickups for regular guitar playing. They probably weren't that bad but I was a die-hard single coil guy at the time. I think I put P90s in and then, eventually, swapped in regular Jag pickups. Then sold it :D

Glad they work for you though, it's not often we're happy with stock pickups in things. I don't think a single one of my Fenders has the stock ones still in it :D
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

User avatar
dangayle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:29 am

Re: Why do people hate the Dragster humbuckers in the J-Craft Jaguars?

Post by dangayle » Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:52 am

JSett wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:04 am
I had one of the Baritones up until recently and I thought the Dragsters sounded great in it - really suited the tone of the instrument.

I had one of the normal guitar ones about 12 years ago and hated the pickups for regular guitar playing. They probably weren't that bad but I was a die-hard single coil guy at the time. I think I put P90s in and then, eventually, swapped in regular Jag pickups. Then sold it :D

Glad they work for you though, it's not often we're happy with stock pickups in things. I don't think a single one of my Fenders has the stock ones still in it :D
That's my experience with the baritone, the pickup sounds perfect in that. Maybe the EQ curve fits the scale length better.

User avatar
interceptör
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:30 am

Re: Why do people hate the Dragster humbuckers in the J-Craft Jaguars?

Post by interceptör » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:19 am

Surely because everyone in their right mind knows that not a single Fender guitar has ever left a Japanese factory without sub-par pickups.

User avatar
JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 8887
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:33 pm
Location: Old Hampshire, Old England

Re: Why do people hate the Dragster humbuckers in the J-Craft Jaguars?

Post by JSett » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:11 pm

interceptör wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:19 am
Surely because everyone in their right mind knows that not a single Fender guitar has ever left a Japanese factory without sub-par pickups.
Apart from the new ones that have USA electronics 😂
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

User avatar
interceptör
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:30 am

Re: Why do people hate the Dragster humbuckers in the J-Craft Jaguars?

Post by interceptör » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:27 pm

JSett wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:11 pm
interceptör wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:19 am
Surely because everyone in their right mind knows that not a single Fender guitar has ever left a Japanese factory without sub-par pickups.
Apart from the new ones that have USA electronics 😂
Yes, but only if you know they do; otherwise they are just yer plain ol' run-of-the-mill bland generic nondescript MIJ pieces of shyte.

User avatar
dangayle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:29 am

Re: Why do people hate the Dragster humbuckers in the J-Craft Jaguars?

Post by dangayle » Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:25 pm

interceptör wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:19 am
Surely because everyone in their right mind knows that not a single Fender guitar has ever left a Japanese factory without sub-par pickups.
That's a bit of a stretch, isn't it? The weird Strat-style single coils under a Jazzmaster cover are one thing, I can understand the dislike of those, but every single one? Ever?

User avatar
interceptör
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:30 am

Re: Why do people hate the Dragster humbuckers in the J-Craft Jaguars?

Post by interceptör » Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:46 pm

dangayle wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:25 pm
interceptör wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:19 am
Surely because everyone in their right mind knows that not a single Fender guitar has ever left a Japanese factory without sub-par pickups.
That's a bit of a stretch, isn't it? The weird Strat-style single coils under a Jazzmaster cover are one thing, I can understand the dislike of those, but every single one? Ever?
Sorry, man, I was just making a bit of fun of our douchy cork-sniffin' and trope-gobblin' ways.

User avatar
dangayle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:29 am

Re: Why do people hate the Dragster humbuckers in the J-Craft Jaguars?

Post by dangayle » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:19 pm

interceptör wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:46 pm
Sorry, man, I was just making a bit of fun of our douchy cork-sniffin' and trope-gobblin' ways.
Ahh, sarcasm. I thought maybe, lol

User avatar
Ceylon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 3295
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:27 am
Location: Middle of the Baltic Sea

Re: Why do people hate the Dragster humbuckers in the J-Craft Jaguars?

Post by Ceylon » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:22 am

Strangely enough I remember people on here being overwhelmingly positive towards the Dragster humbuckers because they were a bit clearer, less hot and more Fendery than your average humbucker. I definitely put them on the list of pickup I'd want to try because of the discourse on here.
Science Friction burns my fingers
Electricity still lingers

User avatar
dangayle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:29 am

Re: Why do people hate the Dragster humbuckers in the J-Craft Jaguars?

Post by dangayle » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:19 am

Ceylon wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:22 am
Strangely enough I remember people on here being overwhelmingly positive towards the Dragster humbuckers because they were a bit clearer, less hot and more Fendery than your average humbucker. I definitely put them on the list of pickup I'd want to try because of the discourse on here.
I don't remember where I read it, but one person put them in his Gibson and was raving about it.

User avatar
ainm
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 296
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:36 pm

Re: Why do people hate the Dragster humbuckers in the J-Craft Jaguars?

Post by ainm » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:44 am

Definitely one of those grumpy fucks who loves Japanese guitars but has a tendency to rubbish the electrics and pickups, but I like Dragsters 👍 I’ve got a few kicking about in my “must have more pickups than guitars” stash.

User avatar
windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 4428
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:31 am
Location: South Eastern Australia

Re: Why do people hate the Dragster humbuckers in the J-Craft Jaguars?

Post by windmill » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:44 pm

Have a couple of stock guitars with dragsters in them.

Playing mainly at home at low volume I wasn't impressed. They were "wooly" sounding.

Recently pulled one of them out to try for a new project I have going with friends and finally tried the "turn the guiter volume up to full and turn the amp volume down" instead of the other way around, which i have done in the past.

Completely different sound, the "wooliness" is gone and the mysterious "jangle" people talk about is there.

Impressed .

HTH

:)

User avatar
GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1742
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:11 pm
Location: Rutherford, NJ

Re: Why do people hate the Dragster humbuckers in the J-Craft Jaguars?

Post by GilmourD » Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:31 pm

windmill wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:44 pm
Have a couple of stock guitars with dragsters in them.

Playing mainly at home at low volume I wasn't impressed. They were "wooly" sounding.

Recently pulled one of them out to try for a new project I have going with friends and finally tried the "turn the guiter volume up to full and turn the amp volume down" instead of the other way around, which i have done in the past.

Completely different sound, the "wooliness" is gone and the mysterious "jangle" people talk about is there.

Impressed .

HTH

:)
Sounds like the exact reason that people put treble bleeds on their volume controls.

User avatar
bessieboporbach
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 284
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:40 am

Re: Why do people hate the Dragster humbuckers in the J-Craft Jaguars?

Post by bessieboporbach » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:27 am

dangayle wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:23 pm
I have both the J-Craft Jaguar Special HH and the Baritone Special HH guitars, and I love them to death. Especially the baritone.

One thing I've noted is that most of the people who have bought them in the past immediately swapped the Dragster humbuckers out, and I don't know why. I think they sound great. They're unique sounding, neither like anything that's ever been in a Jaguar and nothing really like a Gibson humbucker either. Not too hot, but thick. The bridge does have a bit of a honkiness too it, like a mid-range resonance, but I look at that as a feature, not a flaw.

Why do people dislike them so much?
Part of it is that a lot of guys just refuse to hear with their ears.

Part of it is that internet guitar bros only really like 3 kinds of pickups: extremely vintage-correct single-coils, extremely vintage-correct PAFs, and absurdly overpowered ones like the JB. Anything that isn't one of those 3 types of pickup is inevitably going to be dismissed.

Post Reply