Case Showdown! [Fender Classic Series Wood Case vs Gator GW-Jag]

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Case Showdown! [Fender Classic Series Wood Case vs Gator GW-Jag]

Post by GilmourD » Sat May 27, 2023 2:02 pm

Looking for a case for my offsets and I'm curious which is the better case.

I'm not talking price so much (cuz I can find good deals on stuff if I dig hard enough) but more along these criteria:
  • Which case fits better? Does either case allow the guitar to slide around inside or will the guitar be nice and secure either way?
  • Which case is more able to take a bump?
  • Which case has better latches?
Here's the links to the cases I'm talking about, just for specifics:

sunburster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Case Showdown! [Fender Classic Series Wood Case vs Gator GW-Jag]

Post by sunburster » Sun May 28, 2023 4:15 pm

Both of those are junk. For about the same price you can get a 1SKB-62, which is a lot better (I have one of these and love it). Or pay a bit more and get a G&G case (I have four of these and love them too!).

mcatano
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcatano » Mon May 29, 2023 5:25 am

I'd say more than half of the SKB JM/jag cases I've come across have had broken latches or cracked corners.
I broke a latch on one of mine going from our practice space to a club 10min away in a car. They're maybe not the best cases.

whitewatersky
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by whitewatersky » Mon May 29, 2023 6:56 pm

I've found that these are great:
https://www.fender.com/en-AU/accessorie ... 12306.html
I don't like metal latches due to rust here on the coast...

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Tue May 30, 2023 2:12 am

Yeah, the deluxe moulded Fender cases are amazing

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:01 am

OK, I appreciate the alternatives... But I'm not a touring musician. :D

I'm looking for something on the lower end of the budget that isn't floppy like a gig bag (and thus able to be stood up or stacked) for storage purposes. I would LOOOOOVE that Fender Deluxe molded case, but the bank account is already very unhappy with me. 😅

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:32 pm

I have the Deluxe Molded Case and the Gator Case.
Both do their job.
The handle of the Fender feels better - and the fit obviously is - I prefer the Fender one (handling, balance, feel) but from a (in your case not relevant) touring aspect it could be the Gator surviving longer - as the ABS plastic could break at some point.
Would love to try an SKB or find a Hagström case that is a perfect fit (is there any) for a slightly lower price point and the freaking best/most comfortable handle ever.

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:22 pm

OK... What about this guy here? Not as aesthetically pleasing but how's it hold up compared to the fender and the nicer looking Gator?

Gator GC-JMASTER Deluxe Molded Case for Fender Jazzmaster Guitars https://reverb.com/item/64605530?utm_so ... t=64605530

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:26 pm

Hiscox are better, stronger and lighter than everything mentioned so far.

Probably pricier depending on where you're located though.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:32 pm

andy_tchp wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:26 pm
Hiscox are better, stronger and lighter than everything mentioned so far.

Probably pricier depending on where you're located though.
North Jersey. 🤌

ryanthellama
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ryanthellama » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:44 pm

GilmourD wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:01 am
I'm looking for something on the lower end of the budget that isn't floppy like a gig bag (and thus able to be stood up or stacked) for storage purposes. I would LOOOOOVE that Fender Deluxe molded case, but the bank account is already very unhappy with me. 😅
Stratosphere often sells these for a decent bit under list price. They have more of the Strat/Tele ones, but if you’re not in a rush you can probably keep an eye on their website or eBay store and snag one for a good price. That’s how I got all of mine. When Fender has sales, they’re often included too.

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:00 am

ryanthellama wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:44 pm
GilmourD wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:01 am
Stratosphere often sells these for a decent bit under list price. They have more of the Strat/Tele ones, but if you’re not in a rush you can probably keep an eye on their website or eBay store and snag one for a good price. That’s how I got all of mine. When Fender has sales, they’re often included too.
I used to get them this way, until their international postage went through the roof. The price including domestic postage would be very attractive

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:13 am

OK, seriously, now.

Are the Gator cases I mentioned actually junk or is that hyperbole? Links for them are here, just in case you want to double check what I'm talking about.

GC-JMASTER - ABS Guitar Case For Fender Jazzmaster

GW-JAG - Jaguar Style Guitar Deluxe Wood Case

The only case I have that is indeed junk is some no-name vintage-looking hardshell with terrible latches and hinges that I got for... I don't even know. LOL It wasn't much.

Other than that, my kid's Strat came with a Gator molded case, my Wolgang Special came with whatever Peavey shipped them with, I have an SKB soft/hardshell that I paid only $65 for in 2015, the Fender G&G Kurt Cobain Jaguar case, and I have the G&G case I got for my Strats/Teles. Jeebus, I paid $191.91 shipped for that G&G BRAND NEW from MF in April of '21! Maybe that's why I just can't deal with case prices right now! LOL

Oh, and I have a bunch of different gig bags (Fender, Gator, another brand that I can't remember right now but I'm not home to look) that just flop all over the place and fall off whatever shelf I put them on.

I tried to keep that all out of the OP because I was trying to avoid cluttering things with unnecessary information. I was just trying to get a comparison between two specific cases, but neither of those cases have been mentioned since the OP. :D

I think the Fender Classic Series case is a known quantity of being... alright... Nowhere near the G&G but not the worst thing ever. But I threw it in this thread as a comparison for the Gator as a known quantity.

Remember, I just need something to take the Jazzmasters out of the house occasionally that stays where I put it when I store it. I'm not touring. I'm sadly not even currently occasionally gigging at the moment.

OK, now that this got way longer and more complicated than I had intended... Please give me some honest answers. ;D

flying_squad
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by flying_squad » Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:35 pm

I have just taken delivery of the Fender Deluxe Moulded Jaguar/Jazzmaster case (I have a new MIJ Jaguar that only has a very flimsy soft case). Initial impressions of the case are:

Great build quality
Guitar stays in place - no jiggling about
Convenient storage pocket
Lightweight ABS makes it surprisingly easy to move around

It’s no hardcore flight case but I didn’t really want that: they are heavy and overkill for an amateur like me. The wooden traditional cases look great but I get the impression they’re not particularly hard wearing. This ABS case can be had direct from Fender for 5-10% discount and feels sturdy and manoeuvrable compared to the other options.

If you are considering a hard case then you could do a lot worse: this will keep your pride and joy safe without breaking your back or bank balance.

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:59 pm

Is everybody completely ignoring my questions about the Gator cases trying to tell me something?