2008 thin skin colors confirmed

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Re: 2008 thin skin colors confirmed

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Sun May 04, 2008 3:47 am

Deckard wrote: *shakes head*

After all the hunting for an IBM Jazzy and it doesn't even get taken to gigs! If i was you i think i'd just rotate them every song just too look like a flash git. If your sets shorter than the amount of guitars you have (i'm sure its getting that way, when i joined here i'm almost certain you had a couple and within the space of a year you've tripled that  ;D) just switch during songs  :D

I had 5 or so when I joined.  I've since doubled that number.  :wtf:

Honestly, my first AVRI JM gets 75% of the time on stage. 
StevenO wrote:
Deckard wrote: *shakes head*

After all the hunting for an IBM Jazzy and it doesn't even get taken to gigs! If i was you i think i'd just rotate them every song just too look like a flash git.
Oh, you mean Jeff Tweedy...?  ;)
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Sun May 04, 2008 3:48 am

ollenorin wrote: so what pickups in them ? standard avri ones suck !

WHAT?  :wtf:

AVRI pickups sound great, IMO.  What don't you like about them?

BTW, yes the thinskins have AVRI pickups.
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

ollenorin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ollenorin » Sun May 04, 2008 4:27 am

RumorsOFsurF wrote:
ollenorin wrote: so what pickups in them ? standard avri ones suck !

WHAT?  :wtf:

AVRI pickups sound great, IMO.  What don't you like about them?

BTW, yes the thinskins have AVRI pickups.
i think they lack "balls", punch and all the great stuff the vintage ones have.....ones u go vintage u wont go back.

JVSeller
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by JVSeller » Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:24 pm

I have a 2008 thin skin Jaguar in Fiesta Red. I’m the second owner and have to admit I bought it on a whim thinking it would probably be a good investment. Being that it appears unplayed, it lives in its case and I virtually never take it out. But I took it out the other day because I was contemplating a trade. I noticed that the paint looks a bit odd, almost pitted although it feels completely smooth. I haven’t been able to see any other FR thin skins with good up close pictures of the finish so not sure if it’s normal or if the original owner jacked it up somehow, explaining why he sold an unplayed collectors guitar for a very reasonable price (1800 dollars, I bought it in 2018 I believe).

Anyway, what do you think?

Edit: just realized I apparently can’t upload images from my phone so when I have time and figure out how, I’ll have to try to have them hosted somewhere? If anyone has a close up of your FR thin skin in the meantime I’d be very interested and grateful if you could share it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zxg4rchlh8xy1 ... .jpeg?dl=0
Last edited by JVSeller on Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sunburster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sunburster » Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:59 pm

JVSeller wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:24 pm

Edit: just realized I apparently can’t upload images from my phone so when I have time and figure out how, I’ll have to try to have them hosted somewhere? If anyone has a close up of your FR thin skin in the meantime I’d be very interested and grateful if you could share it.
For pics, try imgur.

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:00 am

sunburster wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:59 pm
JVSeller wrote:

For pics, try imgur.
Yeah, Imgur.com is what I use. Create an account so you can keep track of all the things you upload. On each picture you upload click on the three dots that appear when you hover over it and then copy the BBCode to paste into your post.

Bad Monkey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bad Monkey » Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:13 pm

JVSeller wrote:
I have a 2008 thin skin Jaguar in Fiesta Red. I’m the second owner and have to admit I bought it on a whim thinking it would probably be a good investment. Being that it appears unplayed, it lives in its case and I virtually never take it out. But I took it out the other day because I was contemplating a trade. I noticed that the paint looks a bit odd, almost pitted although it feels completely smooth. I haven’t been able to see any other FR thin skins with good up close pictures of the finish so not sure if it’s normal or if the original owner jacked it up somehow, explaining why he sold an unplayed collectors guitar for a very reasonable price (1800 dollars, I bought it in 2018 I believe).

Anyway, what do you think?

I've got an '08 FR thinskin, I'm. not seeing any finish issues at all. Well, aside from the dinks and doinks from gigs and such. It's holding up pretty well actually; I don't see any yellowing, fading, or anything like that.

northern_dirt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by northern_dirt » Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:10 am

ollenorin wrote:
Sun May 04, 2008 4:27 am
i think they lack "balls", punch and all the great stuff the vintage ones have.....ones u go vintage u wont go back.
With the amount of gain, distortion and noise I use I can't tell the difference between the OG AVRI jag pups or the Pickup Wizards someone put into my AVRI Jag.

JVSeller
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by JVSeller » Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:49 pm

sunburster wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:59 pm
JVSeller wrote:

For pics, try imgur.
Okay, still couldn’t get it to post the pic in my reply but the link to Dropbox should be clickable.

Also of note, mine is listed as Candy Apple Red, not FR. Did they really have 2 red colors with the 2008’s?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zxg4rchlh8xy1 ... .jpeg?dl=0

B
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by B » Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:30 am

JVSeller wrote:
I have a 2008 thin skin Jaguar in Fiesta Red. I’m the second owner and have to admit I bought it on a whim thinking it would probably be a good investment. Being that it appears unplayed, it lives in its case and I virtually never take it out. But I took it out the other day because I was contemplating a trade. I noticed that the paint looks a bit odd, almost pitted although it feels completely smooth. I haven’t been able to see any other FR thin skins with good up close pictures of the finish so not sure if it’s normal...
Hey there JVSeller,

My name is Brett. I worked at a shop called Music Machine Guitars back when we created the Thin Skin guitars and was particularly involved with the Jazzmasters and Jaguars. The original run of these was a joint project between three guitar shops... Music Machine Guitars, Wildwood Guitars and Dave's Guitar Shop. I can shed some light on exactly what you are seeing.

Now I am not a chemical engineer and I can't give you the exact scientific explanation or chemistry involved with what you are seeing, but I can give you a layman's explanation. Or at least how we had it explained to us and subsequently educated our customers who also experienced this issue.

They were finished and put away wet.

OK, maybe that is a great oversimplification, so I'll share a bit more info. I remember seeing this phenomenon fairly frequently, particularly on the Jazzmasters and Jaguars. It seemed to be caused by the fuzz in the case sticking to the finish. Kinda.

The popularity of the Jazzmasters and Jaguars caught everybody involved somewhat by surprise (except me, because they had been me and my friends guitar obsession since the 80s when we all wanted to be Robert Smith, lol). So as soon as Fender would produce these, man we wanted them shipped ASAP. I literally had butcher paper stapled to my office wall with the names and numbers of people waiting for them. And OSG was incredibly badass by letting me poll members here about colors we wanted to see and give advanced notice of what colors were coming.

So anyway, When these arrived into our shop, they smelled REAL freshly painted. And sometimes we would pull them out and, while not "glued" to the case interior, you could tell there was JUST starting to be some adhesion between the nitro and the case fuzz. On my sonic blue Jazzmaster from that run, I have the exact same phenomenon you do (though after years of playing you'd be hard pressed to see it anymore). Granted it was not as noticeable on a non-metallic, opaque finish like Fiesta or Sonic Blue. BUT, if you caught it early enough, before the finish fully cured (roughly within the first year) you could actually make the finish heal itself. LITERALLY freakin' heal itself. You took it and hung it all day in the direct sun behind a glass window. Next day? Like magic, it looked like new. We even did this on a Jaguar that had the lacquer crack all over it from the cold during shipping... Hung it in our shop window and the next day, *POOF*, finish checks we GONE. So long story short, when these arrived to us the finishes were VERY fresh and VERY soft because it takes a while for nitro to fully cure and harden after you shoot it. And I do remember a couple of returns because the finish had slightly adhered to the fuzzy case lining and looked exactly like what your photo shows. So into the window they would go, next day they would look like new again, and the customer next on the waiting list was happy to buy it.

It was known in our shop as "the window fix". "Oh no, another one... Time for another window fix!" Did the window trick "melt" the flaw away? Did the UV light add a mirror like sheen back to the spotted area? Like I said, scientifically WHO KNOWS, but it worked 99% of the time, seemed to cure the finish enough to prevent it from happening again, so all was good in our eyes.

So that is what you are seeing. It is probably from being stored away in the case and not moving for some time during the first year or two. With this many years having passed, I'm sure the finish is WELL cured by now and the window fix isn't an option any longer. But what the hell, give it a try!

Hope this shed some light on that for you or anybody else who may have experienced the same thing and couldn't figure out what it was.
Last edited by B on Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

B
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by B » Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:58 am

On a side note, I would have never imagined I would be providing updates on this thread 15 years later. :D

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:30 am

B wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:58 am
On a side note, I would have never imagined I would be providing updates on this thread 15 years later. :D
Lol, me neither, but thank you!
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Meriphew
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Meriphew » Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:29 pm

I'm surprised that dealers haven't done a recent run of Thin Skin Jaguars. Someone should do a run of Charcoal Frost Metallic with matching headstock Jaguars.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:31 pm

Meriphew wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:29 pm
I'm surprised that dealers haven't done a recent run of Thin Skin Jaguars. Someone should do a run of Charcoal Frost Metallic with matching headstock Jaguars.
It's my understanding that new guitar sales have absolutely cratered. Everything is expensive, nobody has money, everyone bought more guitars than they needed during the pandemic.

Just look at the AVII guitars. There's a reason the JM only comes in two colours. If they thought they'd sell more by making more colours, they'd be doing that. They haven't even made a base model AVII Jaguar yet, so clearly they anticipated low demand after how the 60th anniversary models sold.

Thin Skin runs were commissioned. Wildwood had to place the order in sufficient quality to get Fender to make them. If Wildwood had the capital and the demand, they'd be doing it now. Clearly one, the other, or both are missing.

If you want a $2500 Jaguar in a cool colour, there are lots of ways to get one.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Franz the Stampede
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Franz the Stampede » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:31 pm

B wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:30 am

Hey there JVSeller,
[…]
Fantastic story, thanks for sharing it!