Squier Paranormal Jazzmaster XII

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
akpasta
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by akpasta » Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:45 am

Alright, Fender released a new XII string model, at a very accessible price point too!

Here's a Youtube Review . Although these blokes don't seem to know or care much for 12 strings, from the video this guitar seems like it will look/feel/sound pretty similar to the Fender Alternate Reality XII from 2019. Same neck profile, similar/same bridge. They moved the truss rod adjustment to the headstock, which is a huge benefit, as 12-string setup needs to be pretty fine-tuned to play well/in-tune, and this makes minor adjustments incredibly easy.

I love the way the vintage Fender XII and 2019 ARXII feel and play. They sound pretty good too, have their own kinda vibe. I hardly hardly need another 12 string. This one doesn't seem like it will be that much different, except for one pretty crucial element.

This guitar has Jazzmaster shape pickups, which means you have an entire industry of jazzmaster-shaped pickups available to try!

I do have a question for you JM heads. What is thee lowest output jazzmaster pickup you can get? Vintage Rickenbacker scatterwound pickups measure like 7.2k. Is there a similar single coil Jazzmaster pickup one can purchase? Let me know, personally that's probably the one thing that could get me to try this guitar out.

Anyone have one of these yet?

manfesto
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Squier Paranormal Jazzmaster XII

Post by manfesto » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:02 am

akpasta wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:45 am

I do have a question for you JM heads. What is thee lowest output jazzmaster pickup you can get? Vintage Rickenbacker scatterwound pickups measure like 7.2k. Is there a similar single coil Jazzmaster pickup one can purchase?
PV65s are spec’d at 6.8K / 3.2H.

SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SignoftheDragon » Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:00 am

I have 2 of these (one in each color) pre-ordered from a local dealer. Their 'dealer info' for in-hand date is 'Late June.'

Of course I'll NGD as soon as my mitts are on them!

bessieboporbach
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bessieboporbach » Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:45 am

akpasta wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:45 am
Alright, Fender released a new XII string model, at a very accessible price point too!

I'm genuinely curious how similar these will be to the Alternate Reality model from 2019, particularly in terms of neck profile. The ARXIIs have MONSTER necks, or at least mine does. Admittedly I haven't played a ton of electric 12s (most of my 12-string experience is on acoustics), but the AR seems to have a wide and deep neck even relative to some of the acoustic 12s I've played. It's sort of flat on the back but it retains the "meat" across the entire width.

akpasta
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by akpasta » Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:04 am

I’m a big fan of the ARXii neck. It’s a bit wide but doesn’t seem super deep to me. The vintage xii neck is truly deep, esp with its rounder 7.25” radius.

My main problem with the ARXii neck is the super tall frets. They tend to fret notes sharp more. 12 strings ought to have shorter frets for better intonation.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:52 am

SignoftheDragon wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:00 am
I have 2 of these (one in each color) pre-ordered from a local dealer. Their 'dealer info' for in-hand date is 'Late June.'

Of course I'll NGD as soon as my mitts are on them!
I‘m looking forward to read your verdict.

Also I already thought about if it would be mod-able to fit a XII pickguard (and pickups) but just realised that the „upper horn“ screw holes would show…

MotorBongo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MotorBongo » Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:24 am

bessieboporbach wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:45 am
..., but the AR seems to have a wide and deep neck even relative to some of the acoustic 12s I've played. It's sort of flat on the back but it retains the "meat" across the entire width.

So it's more than likely that these upcoming Squier Jazzmaster XII guitars won't have same neck-pocket as a normal 6 str. Jazzmaster, right?

I was hoping I could get one of these new XII ones and swap necks with a Squier Jazzmaster VM that I have around.

A Jazzmaster without the vibrato plate (and no rhythm circuit) feels/looks much too naked for me.
I could lock the vibrato, but I like having that extra 'dead' string section after the bridge.
www.motorbongo.nl

buckaroo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by buckaroo » Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:14 am

I should have the LPB XII later this week.

I'm curious if anyone else is considering modding one of these to get it closer to the original XII?

I understand the pickup cavities need to be routed a little deeper to accomodate Curtis Novak's XII pickups.

For the pickguard, there's a pretty good chance one could fit the WD Alternate Reality guard, but you're looking at filling the existing holes and drilling new ones. The tough part would likely be getting the Faction Guitars XII control plate to fit with the guard.

Alternatively, the existing XII guard appears to be a standard CV JM guard. I'm wondering how hard it would be to get one custom cut for XII pickups? I know Tony at Pickguardian could probably do it.

And then there's changing the toggle switch to the selector - shouldn't be a big deal.

Anyone else pondering doing something like this? I have a Squier Bass VI and a CV 60s JM that I've modded quite a bit and I'm very happy with them.

MotorBongo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MotorBongo » Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:24 pm

buckaroo wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:14 am
I should have the LPB XII later this week.
Nice! Please feel free to post pics/impressions/whatever then.
I'm curious if anyone else is considering modding one of these to get it closer to the original XII?
Nice that different people each have a different mod-direction in mind! :)

Interested in some modding as well, but in another direction: Jazzmaster ('less naked body', so adding JM tailpiece, rhythm circuit, 'more yellow' neck....
... and last but not least, I'm actually more interested into making this an experiment-with-tunings guitar.
I was looking around for a simple not-too-expensive 12-string to try 6 unison pairs iso the 4 octave pairs - and then happened to find these JM XII's upcoming.
Last edited by MotorBongo on Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.motorbongo.nl

Nudger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Nudger » Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:26 pm

buckaroo wrote:

I understand the pickup cavities need to be routed a little deeper to accomodate Curtis Novak's XII pickups.

For the pickguard, there's a pretty good chance one could fit the WD Alternate Reality guard, but you're looking at filling the existing holes and drilling new ones. The tough part would likely be getting the Faction Guitars XII control plate to fit with the guard.

And then there's changing the toggle switch to the selector - shouldn't be a big deal.

[/quote/]

I have done this with Squier affinitty hardtails..
Heres one with a custom made pickguard
Needed to grind pup routs out a little at the sides to accomodate ARXII pups. Poss need to deepen aswell for novaks.

If the routing is the same as squier AF jazz it is a bit of a challenge, ARXII guard did not cover the routing leaving about 1mm exposed on lower horn.
I used a fat dowel and filler to rectify and got body resprayed.
Also there is no wood for a couple of the xii pup screws so more wood needs adding, i used dowel/epoxy.

Faction control plate will "not" fit jazzmaster rout.. Ive done about half a dozen of these and all needed custom made control plates,
If going with a XII style plate you will need to remove wood from the jack end due to extra length. Also need to remove wood to get FS pots in there due to re positioning.

These having the same routing as AF Jazzy is just an informed guess but it would have to be drasically different not to throw up similar challenges to those ive experienced.

Good luck, Cant wait to see the 1st Vintageefied Squier paranormal XII :)

Nudger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Nudger » Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:28 pm

Nudger wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:26 pm
buckaroo wrote:

[/quote/]

Needed to grind pup routs out a little at the sides to accomodate ARXII pups. Poss need to deepen aswell for novaks.

If the routing is the same as squier AF jazz it is a bit of a challenge, ARXII guard did not cover the routing leaving about 1mm exposed on lower horn.
Also there is no wood for a couple of the xii pickguard screws so more wood needs adding, i used dowel/epoxy.

Faction control plate will "not" fit jazzmaster rout.. Ive done about half a dozen of these and all needed custom made control plates,
If going with a XII style plate you will need to remove wood from the jack end due to extra length. Also need to remove wood to get FS pots in there due to re positioning.

These having the same routing as AF Jazzy is just an informed guess but it would have to be drasically different not to throw up similar challenges to those ive experienced.

buckaroo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by buckaroo » Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:27 pm

Nudger wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:28 pm
Nudger wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:26 pm
buckaroo wrote:

[/quote/]

Also there is no wood for a couple of the xii pickguard screws so more wood needs adding, i used dowel/epoxy.

Very cool build there! I love it. Thanks for all the info - it answers a lot of questions I had. I think I'm going to forego the control plate and stick with the JM pickguard.

TagoMago
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by TagoMago » Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:03 am

If I hadn't recently bought a Guild Starfire XII for about the same money as the Squier, I'd be all over the Lake Placid Blue XII. They look brilliant!

dinosaurkale->
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dinosaurkale-> » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:42 am

hoping / waiting for some limited colors from CME or Andertons...

also dreaming of putting the neck on a squier cabronita...pretty sure the heel shape will be different though

Sonichris
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sonichris » Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:22 pm

I ordered a white one last Wednesday direct from Fender - Showed up today. Tuned up, truss rod adjust, and played it for 1.5 hours.

If they are all as nice as this one, you all will be impressed.