best Jazzmaster under $1000 (new or used)?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: best Jazzmaster under $1000 (new or used)?

Post by marqueemoon » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:36 am

doctor_capleson wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:06 pm
I have the Vintera JM. I like it fine. I bought it as a backup to my CIJ JM, so it was important to me to have the specs be as close to vintage as possible so that the guitars are nearly identical. It's now my primary gigging instrument, and the CIJ is the backup / gets plenty of love and a nice comfy spot at home.

Pros: Only JM in the Fender lineup that is "vintage correct" re: fretboard radius, neck profile, vibrato unit spacing from bridge, vintage style tuners, JM-spec pickups with 1M ohm pots. Every other JM in the Fender lineup messes with one or more of these things.

Cons: not a fan of the screw-in vibrato arm; immediately replaced stock bridge with a Mustang bridge

I had a set of nice JM pups lying around that I planned to drop in, but honestly the factory pickups sound alright in the Vintera. There was a little fuss with setup and break-in (as always with JMs; I've never seen one come from the factory in a playable state)

My bandmate has one of the first run TVL JMs, and I would put the Vintera up against that one any day. The only differences I can see are: TVL had neck binding, TVL has exclusive colors, TVL has a more robust toggle instead of the dinky slider for the rhythm circuit, TVL comes with a Fender hard case.

If you can live without the binding, toggle, and colors and happen to already have a roadworthy JM case, then the Vintera is not a bad buy.
I quite like the Vintera neck profile. It’s officially a “thin C”, but feels more substantial.

If I were to get another JM an IBM Vintera is high on the list.

I agree about the screw-in arm. That would have to go.
Last edited by marqueemoon on Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:55 pm

redchapterjubilee wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:47 am
I bought my Classic Lacquer JM used from Dave's in 2016. I own three other AVRI's and an AV65 and if I had to downsize I'd lose one of the AVRI's before I'd part with the Classic Lacquer JM. Maybe I got lucky with mine but it plays amazing. Dunno if there were bridge issues because I swapped out for a cheap Mustang bridge right away. I'm even ok with the stock trem on it. None of my JM's have stock pickups so no worries there either.
There are certainly finish issues. There is a spot of two of highligher yellow on the back of the body near the neck pocket. And yah, nitro does get sticky when you sweat on it. All of my JM's have that problem. That's why I periodically polish the back of the necks and body to get my nasty off of them. I didn't notice the contours were different on it than my other JM's until someone on OSG pointed that out. With prices what they are these days were all my gear stolen or burnt in a fire or something I'd look for another Classic Lacquer JM for sure. I had a roadworn from 2016 as well but I didn't like the feel of the neck finish as much. Marqueemoon has that one now and I believe rather likes it.
It may be the guy who got that Lacquer 60’s Jag in a Trade just got a bad example? Who knows? But this Thread is about Jazzmasters not Jags??? I played many Lacquer 60 Jazzmasters.. Thought they were the best non USA offering then.. I just didn’t want Green… I’d buy one now as a back up to my AV65 JM if it was Clean & the Price was right.. I have not been impressed by most of the non USA JM’s then & now… But, like those old Lacquer 60 JM’s….

redchapterjubilee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by redchapterjubilee » Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:48 am

It's not my favorite color either. I'd rather have had the fiesta red Fender used for the Jaguar.

Arthon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Arthon » Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:13 am

slowpogo wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:07 pm
People seem to like the Squier J Mascis a lot. I've also seen good things about the Squier 40th Anniversary models.

What else would you look for in this price range, new or used?
I have tried 2 40th anniversary Squiers next to a normal CV, and the CV was better sounding. My 2cents about those 40th anniversary.

Under 1k$, I would choose a J Mascis Jazzmaster, because it's a fantastic guitar, but they have P90 disguised in Jazzmaster pickups, so they dont sound exactly like a Jazzmaster. Not better, not worst; just different.
The Blues Cartographer
(sorry for the spelling, I speak french)

Larsongs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larsongs » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:03 pm

I tried lots of JM’s.. I wanted one as close to Original Spec as possible & bought a new AV65 JM & love it!

The Lacquer 60’s was my 2nd choice but didn’t want Green.. It is also very close to an Original Spec 60’s JM.. I’ve grown to like the Green..

I also bought bought a J Mascis.. Not exactly Original 60’s Spec but I liked the Sound & it was well made.. Unlike most of the non USA JM’s… It did require several hours to Set up.. I thought I would never get nice low Action & great Intonation.. But, finally got pretty close to where I like it.. They also look great! I agree that they are a good choice..

Nevets
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Nevets » Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:12 am

I have an AV65 JM and the Classic 60's Lacquer, and the Classic 60's definitely holds it's own against the AV65. It's probably my favorite guitar.

Good luck finding one used under $1000 though.

PapaB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PapaB » Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:37 pm

A second opinion, to my previous comment, as I just bought one: a CME special offering, MIM Sonic Blue, White headstock, '65 pups, no rhythm circuit (but routed for it in case), with a very cool, very useful 4 way switch. (I was eyeing the beautiful Johnny Marr bright yellow Jag .... At $2.5k it's too much guitar for me, but it has a similar set-up, with the 4way. I might mod this Jazzy with a cap & out of phase swith too, later on.)
Guitar came in at under $1k. No case. Vibrato assembly lacks the locking mechanism .... Has the Fender script on it. I like the stickers on the back of the headstock: MIM Special Edition & Fender 75. Weird, LOL right? I dig the stickers.
In all, a sort of limited edition, modern take on the Jazzmaster, in DuPont Cadillac colors, with a tough bulletproof finish, for a somewhat reasonable price, as everything is going up. (Exclusivity on the somewhat cheap.)
The Vintera '60 is also very nice. Vintage specs. But also $300.00 more.

PapaB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PapaB » Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:09 pm

I should add, it needed a trip to the luthier, neck needed shimming, bridge raised, adjusted and intonated with the new flatwound 11s it now has. The vibrato unit needed tweaking with a tuner, to find it's optimal position and stay in tune, and lastly the nut needed a quick touch up. It was uneven and too high.
I suspect the low string angle of these Jazzmasters is a bit of a design flaw. Shimming, tilting back the neck like a violin or a cello, or a Gibson guitar, ... is a must. Bridge works fine. Notes sustain somewhat .... Lol. One gets a lovely resonance from the vibrato too, an unique sound.

Anyhow, I wished these came from Fender with a factory shim. Or an angled neck like the new starcaster.
They are great guitars. The sound, those '65 pickups are divine!!!