NGD: Fender MIJ 2023 Traditional Late 60s Jazzmaster

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
jonathanrichman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NGD: Fender MIJ 2023 Traditional Late 60s Jazzmaster

Post by jonathanrichman » Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:48 pm

So I had a cool $3500 burning a hole in my pocket and I wanted a guitar to pass through the hands of some real knowledegable offset wizards (who would bless it with their expert yet eloquent discourse before kissing it and shipping it to me in a separately purchased G&G hardshell case) so I headed on over to see what Mike & Mike's guitar bar had and LO AND BEHOLD...

I kid I kid. This bad boy came in today and dang. I ordered it direct from Kinko Music on Sunday and here it is! And it's a real BEAUTY.
I haven't had much time with it yet, but for sure - it's one of the best new production offsets I've played.
It's light (7.3lbs on the scale - if you're buying direct, make sure you take a look at the weights, because there was another one that was a whole pound or more heavier), resonant, and honestly, despite being fit with 10s, after tuning, it's unsurprisingly playable out of the box, good action and nary a buzz even with the stock threaded bridge (which sits at a good medium height due to the way Fender Japan has been angling the neck pockets nixing the need for shims the past 2+ years). Dunno if Kinko sets these up before shipping them out, but wouldn't be surprised if they did!

For sure, this is more of a first impressions kind of post - to share with those who might be thinking about getting one - so I will follow up with more after I've really had some quality time with it. Firstly, The neck is fantastic and probably the star here. The rosewood board is nice and dark, and has a nice full profile without being a baseball bat. Feels a little flatter while simultaneously feeling beefier than my FSR Piano Black B&B Jazzy's rounder back profile from 2021, while still comfier than the Vintera. A quick visual scan looks like these actually might have a 9.5" radius as published (again differing from that FSR model which had 7.25" but will need to wait til tomorrow to dismantle and maybe get some calipers on it along with checking the guts and potentially modding this this thing with a descendant or AVRI trem and mastery or am pro bridge. The basswood body feels light and resonant and the finish throughout the whole guitar is perfect. I really really love that they finally paired the blocks & binding with the big CBS headstock and the transition era decal.

The pickups, when sent through my UAD Apollo (it's already late where I am, so I can't cook up the tube amps or my neighbors will kill me) and through Overloud's early 60s era deluxe reverb clone, sounds very similar to the pickups that came stock with the Heritage series Mary Kaye Jazzy I have. They definitely sound better and warmer than the V-Mod pickups that came in the FSR model - and if they are as I am presuming - then they are some of the best stock pickups I've heard in a jazzy series in sometime. I'll loop back on this once I'm able to play it through my IRL DRRI, and have also had a chance to look under the hood.

Another pleasant surprise (when compared to the FSR B&B) is that it looks like Fender Japan has finally done away with the ugly printed red tort! This one is nice and dark, blurry with minimal swirl, similar to what I've been seeing on more recent American & Vintera models, and not as horrendous as some of those sharp & swirly AVRIs.

Hope to share more shots, and thoughts, after I've at minimum strung it with 11s in a follow up, along with any mods I might decide to do. I can't make the call on whether it's dethroned my Heritage or FSR B&B bc those have upgraded bridges and trems and also pickups so we'll have to see.
But already, even stock - I can highly recommend getting your hands on one if you're in the market for a B&B Jazzy with a full neck and good pickups (with some room for improvement in the standard bridge and trem categories) and hoping to spend less than $1500. Just stay away from M&M's lol
Last edited by jonathanrichman on Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD: Fender MIJ 2023 Traditional Late 60s Jazzmaster

Post by Embenny » Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:18 pm

jonathanrichman wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:48 pm
The body, despite the basswood, feels light and resonant and the finish throughout the whole guitar is perfect.
Basswood is a light and resonant wood, why would those properties be "despite" it?

The only knock against it is that it's considered soft and dings easily, but that's not been an issue with poly finishes in my experience. I've only put a single ding in my basswood MIJ Jaguar in the 21 years I've owned it, and that was from an amp tipping over on it in a crowded band van before I bought a hardshell case (in other words, no guitar would have shrugged that off!). Those finishes are harder than any wood underneath them.

Congrats, it looks like a great option. So glad to hear that Fender Japan is finally being allowed to make guitars without the old electronic/hardware handicaps.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

jonathanrichman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jonathanrichman » Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:15 pm

lol will edit as that's not what I meant. might have been a Freudian slip. I've seen Basswood get a bad rap from folks over the many years I've been on various guitar forums. Anything from it being associated with cheaper guitars to the "soft so they dent easy" that you mentioned to "dull sounding" which also hasn't ever really been my experience.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:27 pm

Ah, I see what you meant now. Yeah, I've never understood why anyone would dislike it. I think it was en vogue with lower-priced import guitars back in the day, but it's a great wood and there have been a lot of mid and high end guitars made with it for decades at this point.

Kind of reminds me of the way people now talk about pau ferro (which was always highly regarded by acoustic guitarists and luthiers before electric guitarists started viewing it as a sign of a budget guitar) compared to Indian rosewood (which used to be regarded as the poor quality substitute for Brazilian rosewood, before becoming a standard guitar wood, and then a high-end guitar wood).

Certain woods seem to get a reputation among guitarists for reasons that are completely independent its physical properties. It's all about whether it's a "poor man's [other wood]" or "the wood I see on a lot of cheap guitars."
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

sciuri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sciuri » Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:15 pm

Looks great and happy NGD! What do you think of the inlays? Some photos make them look opaque flat white, but I imagine in real life there is some color variation or translucency?

whatisdust
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by whatisdust » Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:20 pm

Great looking guitar! I love Jazzmasters with matching headstocks. The blocks and binding is just icing on the cake. Enjoy your new guitar!

MrFingers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrFingers » Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:07 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxiQgdKR-Tk

Did they make a video for you?

GGJaguar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GGJaguar » Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:24 am

Correct headstock shape is nice touch. Is it fitted with Pure Vintage 65 pickups?
See my offset guitars at www.ggjaguar.com

jonathanrichman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jonathanrichman » Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:29 pm

MrFingers wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:07 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxiQgdKR-Tk

Did they make a video for you?
Yep! The one they sent me has the same address! Great experience with them!
https://youtu.be/gxiQgdKR-Tk

PapaB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PapaB » Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:00 pm

I love your review and your new guitar. Especially the fret-markers, and what appears to be fret-binding on the neck. It is gorgeous. CONGRATULATIONS!
It is a thing of beauty.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:11 am

Looks stellar! Congrats!
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

jonathanrichman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jonathanrichman » Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:16 pm

Thanks for the congrats on the new guitar friends!
I'm finally about to play it through a proper tube amp (had a bunch of other priorities and helping a fam member move) right after receiving this guitar.

Wanted to share a few more observations in the meantime:

- Checked with my radius gauges and its just a hair flatter than 7.25" - so these are def 9.5" radius Image

- Asked if the blocks are flat white. No. These are def still MOP block inlays - just not as dark in some of the swirls as other block necks I've had

-Haven't yet had a chance to peek under the hood but measured and the pickups read 6.96k bridge, 6.93k neck - and they sound great - as stated before - similar to the Black Bobbin early 60s style pups in the Heritage JM - so I really doubt these are V-Mods

GGJaguar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GGJaguar » Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:59 pm

The pickup impedance is just a bit higher the PV65 set. Very cool!
See my offset guitars at www.ggjaguar.com

sciuri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sciuri » Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:47 pm

jonathanrichman wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:16 pm
Thanks for the close-up shots of the blocks. They look great! The fret ends also look nice and tapered in... I love rolled fretboard edges on unbound necks, and hopefully these also have a buttery smooth feel even with the binding.

I'm ordering an MIJ Jaguar! Just a sunburst one, but if it plays well I'll have it refinished.

garyfanclub
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyfanclub » Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:13 pm

First stop... Mint pickguard!

Looks great, I love my 2017 MIJ Traditional. The new MIJs are fantastic gigging guitars, and I prefer them bang for buck wise over the MIA Fender stuff. I've upgraded a couple parts (Staytrem bridge, AVRI trem, Sunday HW pickups) but that's really just personal preference, the guitar was excellent off the rack.

Enjoy it!