Jag HH options

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Snoo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Jag HH options

Post by Snoo » Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:37 am

Hi!
Starting a new project with a drummer and I'm after a Jag with humbuckers. I'm after the switching fun, tremolo and short scale and whilst the Vintera HH looks to be the absolute dream, I can't really stretch to the price. So I'm trying to figure out my options.
First I thought of throwing some twin rails into a CV Jag. But just realising that the jag single coils are wider than, say a strat. Is my only option therefore to route the body? I know there are fancy-pants pickups for Jags about, but by the time I've paid for them it's probably getting on for the price of a used vintera. Compared to a set of say, Warman level pups.

So just trying to garner thoughts on doing this. Cheers!

ainm
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jag HH options

Post by ainm » Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:22 am

Have you seen the Squier Contemporary Jag? You can pick those up for £200-300 used. Not sure what they cost on the other side of the pond if that's where you are.

The shoreline gold with roasted neck is to die for. If I didn't already have two HH Jags (Vintera Modified and the abomination that is the Ultra Luxe), I'd be all over it.

Switching wise, I believe it has option to go from parallel to series and from humbucker to single (possibly o ly on the bridge). It doesn't have a mid-tone cut in the hexagon control panel, only a selector switch. Everything should be easily modable to the Vintera Modified circuit, though.

Another option may be the HH Special, which has the same circuit as the Vintera Modified. They can be pricey too, but you may have a better chance of them popping up cheaper second hand because they're not a current model and have dropped out of many folk's memories.

Derp: just realised the Squier Contemporary doesn't have the term system 🤦🏼‍♀️

ainm
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ainm » Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:28 am

I think you could whack one of these on the Squier Contemporary? Others may know better.

https://store.duesenberg.de/en/tremolo- ... es-trem-ii

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:42 am

The Vintera Mod Jag is basically a Classic Player HH Jag in Surf Green.
You can find Olympic White or Sunburst models for a fraction of the costs (some maybe even with Rosewood fretboards) I see them floating around for 500-800 pretty often.

Then there is the Squier Contemporary Jaguar (that features all the plates) and the Fender Blacktop and Player series (that have a more reduced wiring and a big pickguard with a single lower chrome control plate).

Blacktop and Contemporary come with a Les Paul Style Tune-o-matic & stop-tailpiece that could easily be upgraded to a Duesenberg Les Trem and a Roller Bridge
Player series comes with a Bridge Humbucker and a Neck Single Coil - a regular offset vibrato but a pretty cheap Bridge. Player series Jags have successfully be modified to either dual Humbucker or dual Singlecoil Guitars on here
Player Jag routing

Then there is also the Kurt Cobain Jag - which is another great guitar - but also more cost intensive.

You could also rout for PAF sized pickups and get a new pickguard - this is what I have done on my Squier VM.

Depends what you value more: offset vibrato or little to no routing.

And you could also go Jag90 (P90 in Jag size).
There are dual rail humbuckers that don‘t eat up all the space as a Strat pickup does (with its bottom plate) - but they tend to look too small in a Jag as you already pointed out.

Question is: so you need Humbuckers? Or do you think you need them because you played humbucker equipped guitars before?
A single coil pickup with Fuzz/Distortion can be quite a lot more versatile (but that‘s a question of taste I guess) - and if it‘s too shrill for you - putting in 250k pots instead of the 1Meg would take some of the brightness away.

echoplex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by echoplex » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:18 am

How about trying to get your hands on a Squier Jaguar VM cheap and use it as a platform to extend with proper pups and such.
There's plenty of good pickup options out there and if you can get a Jaguar VM it's a pretty solid base.
Probably the best bang for the buck route

ryanthellama
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ryanthellama » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:36 am

I don’t know if it’s enough cheaper, but the Vintera HH often pops up used or as b-stock for closer to $800. It’s a really great guitar, so if you ever do find one in your price, highly recommend. You could also check out the Blacktop Jaguar. Those often go for $600-700. And the Player Jaguar at least has a bridge humbucker if you’d be interested in that.

Snoo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Snoo » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:19 am

Well, heck.
Seems I'm the proud new owner of a Tidepool blue player Jag that was on sale. Looks stunning, just need to get it to a tech for a proper setup. Should tick all the boxes.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

ryanthellama
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ryanthellama » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:26 am

Glad to hear it! Tidepool really is a cool finish, enjoy the new guitar!

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:20 pm

Yeah! That‘s good news!
Tidepool is one of the coolest (current) colours out there!
Have fun!