Question about upgrading Squier CV tremolo

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
RoaringTwenties
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Question about upgrading Squier CV tremolo

Post by RoaringTwenties » Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:05 pm

I just purchased a Squier CV Jaguar that I am stoked about! Maybe I'll post some pics and more info later.
The previous owner already put a Staytrem bridge on. I want to upgrade the tremolo/vibrato unit. My understanding is that the AV units will drop right in. Are the AV tremolo arms screw in, as opposed to push in, and if so, do they stay in place, or do they swing and dangle? I did already order a Staytrem collet, but there is a long waitlist. Is there a better option than an AV unit?

Thanks!

ryanthellama
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Question about upgrading Squier CV tremolo

Post by ryanthellama » Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:14 am

The AVRIs have a push-in arm. That would probably be my recommendation, though I do really like the Staytrem arm. I also like the Panorama a lot, but its spring issues make it hard for me to recommend it to anyone.

Powdered Toast Man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Powdered Toast Man » Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:25 am

I just dropped an AVRI vibrato into a Squier CV Bass VI. Holy wow, what an improvement! The Squier arm isn't compatible. I ended up ordering an AVRI arm as well.

The AVRI vibrato is just fine and is a direct replacement.

Tiga
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Tiga » Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:48 pm

I just put an AVRI tremolo in my CV Squier - huge improvement. Dropped right in - no drilling needed. It is a push-in arm however on mine the angle of the arm is too high. I need to bend it a bit - but otherwise the upgrade was well worth it. My stock unit was noisy/clunky.

marginwalker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marginwalker » Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:30 pm

You could always swap out the AVRI collet for a screw in collet and arm like what’s on the classic player/vintera series. That’s what I did on an AVRI trem that I’m putting in a partsmaster and I’m digging it. The arm does swing around freely though, but you won’t have to worry about it falling out

GreenKnee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GreenKnee » Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:26 am

Tiga wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:48 pm
I just put an AVRI tremolo in my CV Squier - huge improvement. Dropped right in - no drilling needed. It is a push-in arm however on mine the angle of the arm is too high. I need to bend it a bit - but otherwise the upgrade was well worth it. My stock unit was noisy/clunky.
If the arm is too high you can adjust the height of it by adjusting the screw in the middle of the unit. Takes a few goes as the strings change pitch when adjusting and so the screw will need further adjustment.
This can throw out the trem lock function, if you use it, and so in that case bending may be the best option.

SmoggyTwinkles
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by SmoggyTwinkles » Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:11 pm

RoaringTwenties wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:05 pm
I just purchased a Squier CV Jaguar that I am stoked about! Maybe I'll post some pics and more info later.
The previous owner already put a Staytrem bridge on. I want to upgrade the tremolo/vibrato unit. My understanding is that the AV units will drop right in. Are the AV tremolo arms screw in, as opposed to push in, and if so, do they stay in place, or do they swing and dangle? I did already order a Staytrem collet, but there is a long waitlist. Is there a better option than an AV unit?

Thanks!
I don't understand why you would want anything else if you've already ordered the staytrem collet, which comes with an arm I'm pretty sure.

My main guitar is a 93 MIJ Jaguar which I've owned for nearly 30 years, and just last year finally "fixed" it with the Staytrem bridge and the Tremolo (vibrato...) collet and arm. Really awesome upgrades.

I don't remember it taking that long to get it, I think they are kind of made by order type thing as opposed to a waiting list. I wanna say it was less than two months for me to get them, maybe even just one month, can't remember but it wasn't that long.

Totally worth it btw. It will still dangle but very slowly and won't fall out, and won't bottom out either if doing a big dive bomb.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:27 pm

I just bought a Squier CV70s Jag and will be going with a US unit on it. If it’s a keeper, it’ll get a mastery bridge as well.
The stock one has a nice collet and arm, but it stops there. The innards are not well executed, so it’s noisy when operated at anything more than a subtle wiggle. It makes a loud clang if you try to get any downward range out of it.
Rather than take it apart and grind smooth whatever part is fucked up, a la Mike Adams, I’ll get a US unit.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

CVBassVI
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by CVBassVI » Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:25 pm

If the arm is literally falling out, you have literally not put it in all the way. Properly pushed it, it does not fall out. There are videos on Youtube about this non-issue.
"You WISH your overpriced Fender was actually better than my Squier." --TSElliot

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:25 pm

Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:48 pm

Prior to the Am Pro II's Panorama trem appearing, there was the 'American Professional' trem that came on the original Am Pro jag/JM series guitars. That was basically an MIA AVRI trem but with a screw-in arm. You could buy it as a separate part. But a quick check suggests that that trem has disappeared from sale as a part - neither Riley, Guitar Parts Resource, nor Angela have it. You can of course now buy the Am Pro II Panorama trem as a part. But given the issues that some people have with the Panorama, it might make sense to re-release the original Am Pro trem as a part. However the Korean-made Classic Player trem (on some MIM offsets) can still be bought as a part and does also have a screw-in arm.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:26 am

timtam wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:48 pm
Prior to the Am Pro II's Panorama trem appearing, there was the 'American Professional' trem that came on the original Am Pro jag/JM series guitars. That was basically an MIA AVRI trem but with a screw-in arm. You could buy it as a separate part. But a quick check suggests that that trem has disappeared from sale as a part - neither Riley, Guitar Parts Resource, nor Angela have it. You can of course now buy the Am Pro II Panorama trem as a part. But given the issues that some people have with the Panorama, it might make sense to re-release the original Am Pro trem as a part. However the Korean-made Classic Player trem (on some MIM offsets) can still be bought as a part and does also have a screw-in arm.
I’m pretty sure you can still order the American Vintage unit and arm. It has the push in collet and arm, rather than screw in.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

echoplex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by echoplex » Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:06 am

timtam wrote:
But given the issues that some people have with the Panorama
What are the issues some have with the Panorama trem?

Powdered Toast Man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Powdered Toast Man » Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:43 am

echoplex wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:06 am
timtam wrote:
But given the issues that some people have with the Panorama
What are the issues some have with the Panorama trem?
It was well documented but I think it was Mike Adams who actually figured it out. If I remember correctly the spring and whole design of the new Panorama vibrato is designed to work with 9's or 10's. The problems came up when owners tried to put 11's or higher on them and suddenly they were having all kinds of problems with the vibrato tension and the arm bottoming out.

https://youtu.be/wNTXt1YFmpA

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:08 am

Pretty sure we'd collectively figured it out on here well before Hamface Adams did his video. There's a huge thread and I seem to remember a lot of people saying they only had issues moving from the shipped 9's onto proper strings.

You can feel just with your fingers they're a softer spring. It's immediately obvious when you have them side by side. I've got a bag of parts for all different vibratos and the AV65 and vintage seem to be the best balanced, Panorama and 90s MIJ are softer (Panorama the softest), 00s CIJ are a touch firmer, Squiers look like the cheapest spring ever made.

I need to take out a vintage one to my garage as they look just like Ford or Chevy valve springs and I've got a bunch in a tub all labelled up.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?