NGD: I won't make you guess. It's a Guild T-bird.

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NGD: I won't make you guess. It's a Guild T-bird.

Post by Embenny » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:14 am

Another belated NGD. I picked this one up during the summer, but my policy lately is to sit with a guitar for quite a while before deciding whether or not to keep it.

This one was kind of a no-brainer, though, because I already knew I liked the model, and because I got it for an amazing price. I've been doing quite a bit of trading/flipping these last couple of years, and a guy I've dealt with before messaged me to basically say, "I need to sell something quick to jump on a guitar I really want, make me a lowball offer on anything I've got listed and I'll accept."

So, I got this for "Squier money," but it's most certainly a cut above. Without further ado, here's a photo with crappy lighting because it's been grey and overcast for days:

The mahogany has actually got quite a bit of quilty chatoyance to it, which I can't really show on a dreary Canadian January day, but this photo from the seller captures it quite well:

I've asked myself whether I actually need this guitar, since I've got a nasty habit of "doubling down" whenever I find something I like, only to realize that owning and liking the one example of that model is all I needed in the first place.

After all, getting it felt like a bit of an anticlimax since my first one was a whole project and one of those real "dream guitars" since I literally daydreamed about it for ages:

But, I've decided that they're different (and lovely) enough to keep both. One of the big reasons is that the original neck pickup in my blue sparkle one spontaneously shorted out and died, so I took a file to the pickguard and crammed some Filtertrons in there. They sound absolutely amazing in that guitar, but it meant that I no longer had that Guild Little Bucker tone available.

This sunburst one is also significantly lighter, like maybe by a full pound. If the two guitars were identical, there would be no impetus to play the stock one over the modded one, so having the different pickups and feeling weightless on a strap are two good enough reasons to pick this one up sometimes instead of the Sparklebird.

Now that I've got a stock T-bird on hand, I'm trying to figure out how well I like the Little Buckers compared to PAFs like the Classic 57s in my Flying V. They're basically the same guitar on paper - all mahogany, 24.75" scale length, TOM bridge, two humbuckers - so the major differences should really come down to the pickups themselves.

I don't feel like I've fully appreciated those differences yet, because this Guild came to me strung with telephone cables, and I haven't yet taken the time to set it up for my preferred 10-46 gauge. I think these must be 13s on it, and I've been enjoying them as-is since they make me play it very differently than I would otherwise.

It's been discussed quite a bit regarding these Newark St. Guilds, but the neck pickup is quite differently wound from the bridge one. They allegedly modeled them off of a vintage guitar, but Guild experts are quite confident that one of those pickups must have been rewound, because the neck pickup uses a thinner wire gauge and has a much higher DC resistance than the bridge pickup.

Apparently that wasn't a thing on the originals, so nobody really knows what the hell they copied or why they did that without referencing at least a second guitar. Now, a higher resistance doesn't mean a higher inductance/output; that comes down to the number of turns of wire. But in the case of these pickups, I don't think the number of turns was properly balanced for the difference in wire gauge, because the neck pickup is FAT and the bridge pickup is very bright and sharp, almost in a Telecaster Custom kind of way.

When I get this guitar on the bench for the string gauge swap, I'm debating what to do about the pickups. I happen to have the spare working bridge pickup, so I could swap that into the neck position and have a matching pair, albeit of the two thinner sounding bridge pickups. The other option would be what most people end up doing, which is a simple swap of the neck and bridge in order to get it "calibrated" like a modern guitar with a hotter bridge than neck.

I'm not totally sure what to try first. For now, I've lowered the neck pickup and raised its polepieces, which makes the imbalance manageable. I like the character of the bridge pickup more out of the two, so I'm leaning toward using the two bridge pickups. I don't know if the guitar will lose the kinda bright but midrangey snarl it has in the bridge position if I put the neck pickup in there. Hopefully the old low pickup/high polepieces trick gets them balanced enough for my liking.

Overall, I'm quite enamored with it, even as-is. These Guilds are just absurdly well made for their price point. The binding is as nice or nicer than the bound Gibsons I've owned, the fretwork is superb, and the finish is very consistently applied. The woods are gorgeous, too, which is not something I could appreciate on the Sparklebird. Someone put a decently large crater of a ding into the top, which is impressive, because the finish on this is super durable. It's the kind of guitar I could easily have kept in mint condition forever, but for the price I paid I'll accept it.

Also, someone lost the trem arm and the little chrome thumb wheel that adjusts the tightness of the trem arm. Not a big deal, since the Sparklebird has all its parts if I'm dying to struggle with the Tremar. These come with a Tuneomatic, though, so I've not used it at all. Some day, I'll get around to putting a roller bridge on it so I can get a sense of whether the Tremar is a usable or enjoyable unit, but for now it's functioning as a funky looking stop tailpiece on both guitars.

Overall, it's a light and super comfortable guitar to play, with an excellent neck and okay pickups. I'll give the double-bridge-pickup configuration a fair shake, but there's a decent chance I order a new pickguard and just put Firebirds into it, which was my plan for the Sparklebird before I tested out the Filtertrons and kinda fell in love with them.

The T-Bird is one of those guitars, like the Meteora, that turned out to be way more comfortable to play than I expected. It's the combination of the aggressive forearm bevel and the very smooth finish, it's just very ergonomic (or at least, it is for me).

Also, the sunburst continues onto the back of the neck and the headstock, which is the kind of detail I really like in a guitar. I spend more time seeing the back of the neck than the top of a guitar as a player, so over the years I've come to appreciate a bit of eye candy there. I had Stike continue the blue sparkleburst onto the neck for that reason, and specced a walnut/mahogany/maple laminate for my custom 12-string acoustic as well. It's really nice to catch glimpses of something pretty when I look over at my fretting hand. It adds something to the playing experience, even if it has absolutely no bearing on playability or tone.

I know the Gumby look isn't for everyone, but I love it. And the electronics are instantly familiar to a lifelong Jaguar player like me. Other than putting the strangle switch on the "wrong" side of the pickup switches, it's literally just the Jaguar circuit, which frankly makes a lot more sense on this kind of guitar, since the pickups are fat enough to make the bass cut pronounced, but bright enough that you can still get use out of a tone knob and rhythm circuit. It really just feels like what would have happened if Gibson had made the Jaguar instead of Fender. It just feels like a cohesive design too, which of course it was, much more so than the various "Gibsony" Jaguars with TOMs and humbuckers that I've owned over the years. Those hybrids feel like they stamp out the Jag's quirkiness, while the T-Bird cranks the quirkiness to 11.

If you ever find one of these for a good price, jump on it. I'm 2/2 with them being great guitars. I kind of can't believe how much I got for that price. They remind me most of my Japanese Fenders in that they've got amazing bones (especially the necks) and kinda 'meh' pickups, all under a perfect but thick poly finish. Even brand new at retail price, these are a lot of guitar for the money.

Also: yes, I consider this an Offset, since it's a true reverse offset waist, and not just an asymmetrical body. Reverse Offsets feel like they belong here more than in the "non-Offset" category, since you certainly can't accuse this shape of having a symmetrical waist.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Re: NGD: I won't make you guess. It's a Guild T-bird.

Post by Maggieo » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:52 pm

Congrats!
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Stephen_42
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Stephen_42 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:55 pm

I've always been intrigued by these guitars. They seem broadly popular on OSG, but I just find them ugly. I can see why there might be a sort of so-bad-it's-good attraction to the weirdness of the shape though, and presumably some people find them aesthetically pleasing.

Do people who like the look of T-birds find them beautifully ugly, or just conventionally beautiful?

echoplex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by echoplex » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:55 pm

Funny shape. Not my cup of tea but still plenty of fun with it ! ;)

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:08 pm

I think they are cool, nice collection. There's nothing wrong with having two of the same model if you like how they play and they sound different, you know?

I also have a Guild coming.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Sweetfinger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sweetfinger » Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:04 pm

Guild changed specs on the small humbuckers at some point in the 1960s.
When Fender was working to reissue the pickups, they went to eBay and bought a vintage pair. What they didn't realize was the bridge and neck were from those two different time periods, not from the same guitar, sent them off to be reverse engineered, and that's why those have different wire. The new owners of Guild, Cordoba, have almost zero interest in any R&D, changing specs on pickups, offering different mounts, etc.
I know there are two different pickguard templates for the reissue T-Birds, if anybody needs a guard.
That sparkle one is gorgeous! Why didn't you simply buy another LB bucker?

barrycreed
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by barrycreed » Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:20 am

I had 2 of these, the white stoptail one and the sunburst one. Sunburst one was a nightmare, neck warped, couldn't get the trem to work (came without the locking screw). Sounded good though and would revisit (a black reissue maybe).
The white stoptail model was fine, but without all the extras felt a bit like I was losing out on something!
If I could trust the trem won't give me issues, I'd revisit.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:42 am

The waist on these is reverse offset, by the way.
I’ve played a few at guitar stores. They sound amazing, but they’re ugly as hell, IMHO.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:13 am

Nice to see someone else repping the incredible work Guikd is doing lately. Every chance I get I sing their praises because the guitars they’re making right now are shockingly great. Mine is like the nicest guitar I own, just blows me away

Was the sparkle one just one you got and finished or did you put it all together yourself? Looks awesome either way

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:19 am

Congrats! Lovely pair of T-Birds! 8)
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:14 am

Maggieo wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:52 pm
Congrats!
Thanks! Good to see you around again, Maggie.
Stephen_42 wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:55 pm
I've always been intrigued by these guitars. They seem broadly popular on OSG, but I just find them ugly. I can see why there might be a sort of so-bad-it's-good attraction to the weirdness of the shape though, and presumably some people find them aesthetically pleasing.

Do people who like the look of T-birds find them beautifully ugly, or just conventionally beautiful?
I don't know if I'd call the shape "beautiful." But I get a kick out of it. It's weird but in a fun way to me. I appreciate it for what it is - a product of the 60s. It kinda looks like a go-go dancer wiggling its hips, or a cresting wave. Or maybe it's how a guitar looked to the designer on an acid trip. It's literally groovy.

With so many guitar shapes being repeats of the same handful of shapes over and over, I appreciate novelty. Same reason I get a kick out of my Flying Vs. In both cases, the bodies turned out to offer nice ergonomics too (the forearm contour on this one being perfectly angled/placed for my taste, and the Flying V balancing perfectly on a strap when standing and defaulting to a classical position while seated).
echoplex wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:55 pm
Funny shape. Not my cup of tea but still plenty of fun with it ! ;)
For sure, I won't begrudge anyone their opinion if that shape isn't their cup of tea!
Larry Mal wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:08 pm
I think they are cool, nice collection. There's nothing wrong with having two of the same model if you like how they play and they sound different, you know?

I also have a Guild coming.
Thanks, sorry it's not a corvus. This shape is my kind of weird. I'm not sure if the corvus is anybody's kind of weird.

Congrats on the incoming Guild. If I were to guess, I'd say it's going to be somewhat more symmetrical and spruce-topped than this one. Probably with a speed hole in the middle to make it play faster.

I agree that there's nothing wrong with doubling up, until it happens too many times in a row. I set a goal for myself this last year or so to really focus on reducing the number of guitars around here, and have been succeeding. So it felt kind of bad in a way to just straight up buy this guitar, but that was quickly outweighed by how lovely it is to play.

And while it increased the number of guitars around here again, I keep reminding myself that I could easily have spent this amount of money on a guitar pedal, which wouldn't bring me anywhere near as much enjoyment. It's right up there as one of the best bangs I ever got for my buck. It cost me as much as the Kinman strat pickups I just bought, maybe less after shipping and tax now that I think about it, and it's easily the equal of some of my nicer guitars.
Sweetfinger wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:04 pm
Guild changed specs on the small humbuckers at some point in the 1960s.
When Fender was working to reissue the pickups, they went to eBay and bought a vintage pair. What they didn't realize was the bridge and neck were from those two different time periods, not from the same guitar, sent them off to be reverse engineered, and that's why those have different wire. The new owners of Guild, Cordoba, have almost zero interest in any R&D, changing specs on pickups, offering different mounts, etc.
I know there are two different pickguard templates for the reissue T-Birds, if anybody needs a guard.
That sparkle one is gorgeous! Why didn't you simply buy another LB bucker?
Ah, that makes sense. Like buying a set of pre-CBS black bobbins to copy, and failing to realize that one was actually from '79 or something. Thanks for filling in the story there. It's a shame Cordoba hasn't been interested in correcting that issue.

And thanks! I'm still in love with the Sparklebird. The main reason I didn't buy another Little Bucker was that I had a drawer full of pickups I knew I'd like, so it was the path of least resistance. Those Filtertrons had been sitting there since about 2012 or so, when I bought them for a project that changed directions many moons ago. I kind of figured that, if I wanted to preserve the stock look, I'd just send the dead pickup to be rewound to custom specs which wouldn't be much more expensive than a new stock one.

They sound amazing in it, though. With the strangle switch, they can cover a lot of single coil territory, and with the rhythm circuit/tone knob they can cover a lot of humbucker territory. It's a Sparklebird in both appearance and tone, now.
barrycreed wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:20 am
I had 2 of these, the white stoptail one and the sunburst one. Sunburst one was a nightmare, neck warped, couldn't get the trem to work (came without the locking screw). Sounded good though and would revisit (a black reissue maybe).
The white stoptail model was fine, but without all the extras felt a bit like I was losing out on something!
If I could trust the trem won't give me issues, I'd revisit.
Sorry to hear about your QC experience. I hear you on the stop tail model, I looked at those but had that exact same impression that I'd be missing out on something.

I don't know if you can trust these trems, mine certainly suffers from TOM Vibrato Syndrome. I'm 90% sure I have a roller bridge that would fit these metric posts, so I told myself I'd put it on the next time I change strings. The only trouble is that I strung it with Elixirs and those easily last me a year unless I manage to break a string :D
BoringPostcards wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:42 am
The waist on these is reverse offset, by the way.
I’ve played a few at guitar stores. They sound amazing, but they’re ugly as hell, IMHO.
Reverse offset, indeed. Aggressively so - probably by six inches. I like how polarizing the shape is. They make other solidbodies with these same general specs and pickups if you're into less bizarre shapes but like the feel and tone. I'm sure they're great, if they're anything like this one.
Mechanical Birds wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:13 am
Nice to see someone else repping the incredible work Guikd is doing lately. Every chance I get I sing their praises because the guitars they’re making right now are shockingly great. Mine is like the nicest guitar I own, just blows me away

Was the sparkle one just one you got and finished or did you put it all together yourself? Looks awesome either way
Yeah, I think I owe you one, because your posts gushing about your T-Bird were one of the factors that gave me the confidence to order my first one sight-unseen. I didn't think I'd ever run across one in the wild here, though it eventually happened.

The Sparklebird is a refinished stock one. I bought it on Reverb and had it shipped straight to Stike at Rowyco Kustoms. I couldn't find any used ones in Canada, and I didn't want to pay for the two international shipping trips it would take to play it before committing to the refinish. It was a gamble, but it paid off.

They really are great guitars. Both of them have flawless necks and fretwork, which gives them a really high end feel. If I had refinished mine in nitro instead of poly, it would feel like an AV65-quality vintage reissue, which is kind of nuts for their price point. I don't think poly feels bad by any means, it just makes the guitar feel more of the modern era.

Who knows, if I ever get bored some day, maybe I'll get the sunburst reshot in nitro and add a kick stand :D
Surfysonic wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:19 am
Congrats! Lovely pair of T-Birds! 8)
Thanks, Steve!

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:26 pm

That makes me feel so good to know I had a positive influence on anybody, that’s so awesome! And I agree with everything you’re saying - the fretwork, the finishing, the whole guitar is just shockingly nice for how much I paid.

I should have recognized that finish work, Stike is a god. Looks so so so sick

bessieboporbach
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bessieboporbach » Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:35 pm

WANT. Big Zal Yanovsky/Spoonful fan here, and this is a kind of dream guitar.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:11 pm

Mechanical Birds wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:26 pm
That makes me feel so good to know I had a positive influence on anybody, that’s so awesome! And I agree with everything you’re saying - the fretwork, the finishing, the whole guitar is just shockingly nice for how much I paid.

I should have recognized that finish work, Stike is a god. Looks so so so sick
Thanks, man. Stike does good work. My favourite thing is the back of the neck. He pushed for continuing the sparkle onto the neck, and I'm very glad he did. I was worried the flake finish would be too thick and would impact the way it feels transitioning to the binding, but I don't feel anything at all. I think it's because he faded it to black before it hits the binding, and probably shot thick enough clear for the whole thing to be seamless. He did a great job of it. My only complaint on the entire guitar is that, right at the first fret on the bass side where it's most visible, there's a short section where the black paint travels onto the binding and breaks the perfectly straight line that runs down the whole neck. In fairness, I don't know if that was him or Guild that did that, since the guitar was black before the refinish and I never held it before he worked on it. It's subtle but obvious to a perfectionist. I never even mentioned it to him, because he did such a stellar job and it might not even have had to do with him. The entire finish is even and smooth as glass, the sparkle is unbelievably deep and vivid in person, the fade to black is incredibly well executed, and the shade of blue is exactly what I asked for, so the last thing I want to do is make him feel like I'm not happy with his work.

I have pot lights in my music room, and the sparkles on whatever portion of the neck I can see while playing absolutely come to life as I move around. I'd love to see them under stage lights.

Overall, especially with the Filtertrons, it's the kind of guitar that makes me wonder why I have so many guitars. It's bright, it's articulate, it's got versatile wiring, it's my favourite scale length, it's got a perfect neck, it's noiseless, and it's loud and flashy in exactly the way I want an electric guitar to be. Plus, it's got that sentimental bonus of being highly personalized.

This Sunburst one still has a great vibe. I don't often love sunbursts, but it's a very well-executed one and the grain really pops on it. The Little Buckers definitely have a completely different vibe from my usual tones, but that's what makes it interesting to play. The neck pickup has this papery quality to the attack that gets me playing stuff differently than I normally would.

I'll play around with the Little Buckers for quite a while, but part of me wants to stick some single coils in there some day. There were at least 3-4 distinct pickups used on these in the 60's, and all of them other than the Little Buckers were single coils. What few demos and recordings you can find of the single coils all sound great to me. It brings out more of the guitar's Jaguar side.

Musjagjazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Musjagjazz » Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:25 pm

Radioshop Pickups in the UK will rewind and sort out the balance issues of the LB-1 pickups although you mentioned you may put single coils in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQL3lKUd718

Same pickups in a Starfire after being rewound to original specs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5OZJdxHtVI