NGDx2 - Guess Which Squiers...

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGDx2 - Guess Which Squiers...

Post by Surfysonic » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:05 pm

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:30 pm
i have both too. the toronado quickly became my main. i did mod it a wee bit but it's now the ultimate post-hardcore guitar.

as for my starcaster. i removed the pickguard and put on a dusenberg drem. oh and a cautionary sticker
Nice! Both look fantastic! 8)

Some day, I kind of want a Toronado build with a tremolo that I can slap some single coil pickups in - kind of a wider-bodied Jazzmaster. :?
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

mekhem
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mekhem » Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:01 am

Surfysonic wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:32 pm
BoringPostcards wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:22 pm
Throw some CuNiFe WRHBs in that Starcaster!
Oofa, the Fender CuNiFe WRHBs ain't cheap! $200 per pickup! :derp:

If I end up not happy with the stock pickups, I'll have to do some research to find some affordable alternative pickup options.

Update: Had a look at the usual suspects - Novak, Lollar, Fralin - the Fender CuNiFe WRHB pickup cost is actually competitive. 8)
Heads up - Adorama has the Fender CuNiFe pick ups on sale for 150 each - so thats something to look at

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:27 am

mekhem wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 5:01 am
Surfysonic wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:32 pm
BoringPostcards wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:22 pm
Throw some CuNiFe WRHBs in that Starcaster!
Oofa, the Fender CuNiFe WRHBs ain't cheap! $200 per pickup! :derp:

If I end up not happy with the stock pickups, I'll have to do some research to find some affordable alternative pickup options.

Update: Had a look at the usual suspects - Novak, Lollar, Fralin - the Fender CuNiFe WRHB pickup cost is actually competitive. 8)
Heads up - Adorama has the Fender CuNiFe pick ups on sale for 150 each - so thats something to look at
Cool, thanks very much - I love Adorama. That is a sweet deal. I'm gonna leave the stock pickups in the Starcaster but I still would like to get the Fender CuNiFe set for a parts build.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:56 pm

My nickel Duesenberg Les Trem II arrived from Germany today! Installation was super easy. I may swap out the Starcaster's tuners for vintage-style ones because I'm fairly bad at installing strings on modern tuners and the open/uncovered slot of the string ball holders on the Les Trem II made stringing a wee bit more chaotic for me. :derp: I think I'll be able to restring with a bit more ease with the vintage ones in the future. :whistle:

Anyhoo, got new strings on and after stretching them, I'm very pleased with the guitar staying in tune after using the Les Trem II a lot. Definitely recommend if you like a wiggle stick. Really loving the Starcaster in general - boggled how I took so long to get one. :fp:

Sorry this one's a bit blurry - trying to get the natural light shot without the flash... :-[

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:02 pm

Looks great! The Les Trem really works on these as long as you do something with the bridge. I modified a Mastery to fit mine which worked fantastically. Unfortunately I moved mine on as I had other projects that I wanted the space for but it ended up looking a lot like this...

Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:45 pm

johnnysomersett wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:02 pm
Looks great! The Les Trem really works on these as long as you do something with the bridge. I modified a Mastery to fit mine which worked fantastically. Unfortunately I moved mine on as I had other projects that I wanted the space for but it ended up looking a lot like this...

Nice! I swapped out the stock bridge for a Tru-Arc Copper SerpenTune bridge. Working great so far! 8)

jmurph
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jmurph » Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:26 am

Congrats on the new guitars, Surfysonic! Thanks for your insight on the Duesenberg vibrato. I’ve wondered if they’d pair nicely with Squier and Epiphones. This thread was a bad influence on me. I wasn’t planning on buying any more guitars, but you had to mention the pro audio star sale. :wacko: I ended up ordering a baritone tele. Should be here this week. I’m really tempted to order a couple more guitars, but I don’t think my bank account would be happy about that.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:46 am

jmurph wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:26 am
Congrats on the new guitars, Surfysonic! Thanks for your insight on the Duesenberg vibrato. I’ve wondered if they’d pair nicely with Squier and Epiphones. This thread was a bad influence on me. I wasn’t planning on buying any more guitars, but you had to mention the pro audio star sale. :wacko: I ended up ordering a baritone tele. Should be here this week. I’m really tempted to order a couple more guitars, but I don’t think my bank account would be happy about that.
Glad to have helped! Congrats on the incoming NGD. Yeah, dinosaurkale turned me on to that sale. I was tempted to get a Squier CV Bass VI but thankfully for my wallet, they're out of stock. 8)

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:01 am

Surfysonic wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:56 pm
My nickel Duesenberg Les Trem II arrived from Germany today! Installation was super easy. I may swap out the Starcaster's tuners for vintage-style ones because I'm fairly bad at installing strings on modern tuners and the open/uncovered slot of the string ball holders on the Les Trem II made stringing a wee bit more chaotic for me. :derp: I think I'll be able to restring with a bit more ease with the vintage ones in the future. :whistle:

Anyhoo, got new strings on and after stretching them, I'm very pleased with the guitar staying in tune after using the Les Trem II a lot. Definitely recommend if you like a wiggle stick. Really loving the Starcaster in general - boggled how I took so long to get one. :fp:

That is utterly brilliant!!!
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:34 pm

Congrats, Surfysonic!
That Toronado was on my list for quite some time too! Such an interesting color!
johnnysomersett wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:02 pm

Johnny, this looks awesome! I even prefer that (Edit: no Coronado obviously, whatever it is:) black headstock neck on that body shape. This makes me think about adding a Starcaster to genes of my future Mighy JagBakka Mashup-build! :)

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:00 pm

Maggieo wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:01 am
Surfysonic wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:56 pm

That is utterly brilliant!!!
Thanks, Maggie - I'm thinking about getting two more Les Trem IIs - one for my Gibson Les Paul Special Tribute and my Gretsch CVT. :)
MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:34 pm
Congrats, Surfysonic!
That Toronado was on my list for quite some time too! Such an interesting color!
Thanks, MTFBWY! I'm very pleased with the Mystic Seafoam Green with the parchment guard. Definitely some deals to be had out there. 8)