FSR Squier CV 70s Jazzmaster with matching LPB headstock impressions.

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
bankyVee
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

FSR Squier CV 70s Jazzmaster with matching LPB headstock impressions.

Post by bankyVee » Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:33 pm

This Squier arrived with care from CME a couple of days ago and some initial impressions;

[*] it's a darker blue not really reflected in the photos. LPB is notoriously hard to accurately photograph but this one definitely is darker than most other LPBs I've seen in person. It's much closer to the Cobra blue used in the Fender American Ultra JM from a couple of years ago. Fender AmUltra JM Cobra Blue

[*] The headstock matches the dark shade perfectly but it's not the period correct 1970s logo/markings. This has the swirl from the classic 1960s logo decals. The 40th anniversary Squier models actually have the correct font and logo decal for the 1970s-era Fenders.

[*] The inlays are identical to the 40th anniversary gold edition block inlays - not period accurate with regard to size but they still look good. No dings or scratches on the binding or blocks.

[*] out of the box this one had wonderful low action but a slight buzz on the low-E (common). Not extreme enough to require a shim , so I may fix this with a bridge height adjustment. The frets themselves are a little gritty on bends, some 600-1200 grit sandpaper may be required to smooth-en them out.

[*] CME packed it securely box in a box and with nice fretboard protection (cardboard). Props to Olivia for taking great care for the inspection and packing.

[*] CME and Anderton's exclusive FSR. I don't know how uncommon this is but I've seen a lot of posts of these lately. There are others on CMEs site right now but with lighter fretboards. (EDIT: these are all gone from the CME site except for the teaser expecting more in 2023)

I'm curious what others' impressions are in comparison with the 40th anniversary versions. I actually traded in a 40th JM because I prefer the matching headstock but also the action was way too high on the 40 and the fretboard looked like a sickly pale veneer of Indian Laurel instead of the dark one on the FSR. There was also a noticeable slight indent on the upper horn which was almost imperceptible because the gloss polyurethane finish was fine over it. The 40th had a lighter shade of LPB but I'd imagine this varies from batch to batch and it's likely no 40th Squiers are exactly the same;
Antique white comparison

CROSS_guitars
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: FSR Squier CV 70s Jazzmaster with matching LPB headstock impressions.

Post by CROSS_guitars » Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:05 am

The location of the top strap button is getting a bit outta control on these CV's
Seems like the strap would slip right off while playing.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:39 am

CROSS_guitars wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:05 am
The location of the top strap button is getting a bit outta control on these CV's
Seems like the strap would slip right off while playing.
I noticed that too... absolutely wild angle on that thing!
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

bankyVee
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by bankyVee » Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:27 am

Good observation! I did not notice at first because I'm primarily a seated player but the upper strap button definitely warrants a button lock.

some more stats;

weight :7.9 lbs
Neck pickup DCR: 6.72
Bridge pickup DCR: 12.23

The bridge has a higher DCR than the old stock CV bridge. The weight difference is not significant compared to the 2019 CV I have (7.8lbs) but interestingly heavier than the 40th anniversary (7.43lbs)

Nevets
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Nevets » Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:47 am

Definitely a darker shade of blue than my LPB strat. I'm still in the honeymoon phase with mine. I absolutely love it. Probably because of the looks! Just recieved a set of witch hat knobs to upgrade the stock ones.

Curious about the bridge height on yours. Mine came pretty high, with some room left to lower the action. I'm pretty sure there's an angled neck pocket on these things. It seems like it would need a reverse shim to get the action lower.

I actually got mine from Thomann in Germany. Neither Andertons or CME would ship these to Canada.

LVC
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by LVC » Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:07 pm

That's a great looking guitar! I especially love the color. Traditional LPB was always a little pale for my taste but this shade looks awesome.

IdontneedanotherjazzmasterIdontneedanotherjazzmasterIdontneedanotherjazzmasterIdontneedanotherjazzmasterIdontneedanotherjazzmasterIdontneedanotherjazzmasterIdontneedanotherjazzmasterIdontneedanotherjazzmaster :squint: :squint: :squint:
Create art, not content