There's going to be an American Vintage 2 series apparently.

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Britfingersisback
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: There's going to be an American Vintage 2 series apparently.

Post by Britfingersisback » Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:51 am

Given the current prices of fenders at the present time iv decided to build one using quality parts. Should come in for around half the price.

Nevets
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Nevets » Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:48 pm

I'm a lot more enamored with Squier these days than I am with Fender.

Powdered Toast Man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Powdered Toast Man » Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:49 pm

From the comments I'm reading about the neck profile I'm really glad I decided to jump on the AO60's at the end of last year. That fat C neck is what attracted me to it.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:53 am

The AV65 was one of my favorites. The new ones are a lot thinner?

daysleeperjeff
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daysleeperjeff » Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:01 pm

If the QC on AVII’s is really as bad as that Mike Adam’s video, I’d go on the hunt for an AO.

The AO Jazzmaster l bought was the highest quality production line fender I’ve ever played. Could have easily passed for a custom shop guitar. I found no QC issues. Light and resonant body. Just perfect really.

As for Mike Adams, I watch his videos sometimes and he covers some interesting topics and he’s very knowledgeable on many things but he just comes off a bit like comic book guy from the Simpsons when it comes to offsets. He has that passive aggressive Nothing’s ever good enough, cork-sniffing, know-it-all vibe but then tries to cover it up with a sales guy sweetness. I can only take so much of that.

Powdered Toast Man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Powdered Toast Man » Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:42 pm

Hugo281
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Hugo281 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:08 pm

Hello everyone, my name is Jacques.
I live in France and I would like to give you my opinion on this new vintage jazzmaster vintage IIn66 in dakota red color
Which I received 1 week ago.
I already have an avri 62 jazzmaster
An old vintage 61 Jazzmaster that i have in lent and some jaguar.

I received a model whose finish is perfect.
It is lighter than the avri62 and more resonant.
The only criticism I would make of it is that it has less bass and a little hollow sound than my depth and medium facing the Avri 62.
Avri 62 IS a very massif guitare sound
On the other hand, vintage II 66 it twang+ and has better sustain.
Its a beautiful and good guitar that complements my avri62 well.
With a very scintillant sound
Sorry for my langage. ;D

Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Veitchy » Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:53 pm

Hugo281 wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:08 pm
I received a model whose finish is perfect.
It is lighter than the avri62 and more resonant.
The only criticism I would make of it is that it has less bass and a little hollow sound than my depth and medium facing the Avri 62.
Avri 62 IS a very massif guitare sound
On the other hand, vintage II 66 it twang+ and has better sustain.
Its a beautiful and good guitar that complements my avri62 well.
With a very scintillant sound
Sorry for my langage. ;D
Nice to hear they got one right for someone.

The assessment of the sound seems consistent with some of the demos I've heard - the pickups being down on output a tad would mean less poke in the midrange. I bet it'd twang great like you say.

superficial
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by superficial » Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:58 am

Thanks Hugo. This thread is presumably horrible reading for anyone who bought an AVII, but it's worth noting that even with unacceptable QC issues on the line as a whole, most individual guitars will be good or even great.

You do have to wonder whether releasing a whole line at the same time was a bad idea. It may be that the next runs of each of these guitars will be better-made. It's too early to write the whole line off IMHO.

However, I am feeling slightly better about buying my AO recently ;D

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:10 am

superficial wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:58 am
Thanks Hugo. This thread is presumably horrible reading for anyone who bought an AVII, but it's worth noting that even with unacceptable QC issues on the line as a whole, most individual guitars will be good or even great.

You do have to wonder whether releasing a whole line at the same time was a bad idea. It may be that the next runs of each of these guitars will be better-made. It's too early to write the whole line off IMHO.

For sure, I think this is all important stuff for people to read while considering a purchase, but the only thing that matters is the guitar in your hands.

Gibson has taught me that. The internet lore of horrible Gibson QC is similarly in reference to a small percentage of overall guitars. I just learned from experience that I can't mail order a Gibson and expect it to be great, so I stick to buying/trading in person, and I've acquired a few truly exceptional guitars that way.

We were spoiled for a bit, the AV65 line was so consistently great right off the bat that it makes the AVII issues stand out more. I had a first-year AV65 JM and it was honestly the nicest Jazzmaster I've ever played, easily the equal of my actual pre-CBS guitars in every way. Every story I've heard about those early AV65s was the same - they were seemingly all gems.

So, we have to just accept the reality that Fender's struggling with QC at the moment. If you buy a guitar sight-unseen, get it from a dealer with a good return policy. Hopefully they work out the kinks. I suspect that they will - we know they did a ton of hiring and firing in the last couple of years, but don't know yet whether that has led to a temporary drop in quality or a more longterm one. I'm hoping this ends up being the former.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Powdered Toast Man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Powdered Toast Man » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:48 pm

superficial wrote:
Same. I'll die on the hill that the AO60's line in particular are the best instruments I've laid hands on. I've got a SB AO60's JM and aside from maybe a paint colour option there's nothing compelling about the AVii lines that would make me want to buy one.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:36 pm

Powdered Toast Man wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:48 pm
superficial wrote:
Same. I'll die on the hill that the AO60's line in particular are the best instruments I've laid hands on. I've got a SB AO60's JM and aside from maybe a paint colour option there's nothing compelling about the AVii lines that would make me want to buy one.
I was in a store recently and tried a bunch of expensive CS Teles for fun/comparison. My AO60s Telecaster easily stacked up against them all. Just the lacquer on the back of the neck bedding in more and it would have easily have been indiscernible.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:32 pm

The first round of AV65s also had the wack trem arms though let us not forget

DavidG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DavidG » Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:12 am

It's not all bad with these. I took delivery of a 66 Jazzmaster in LBP and Fiesta Red 61 strat the first week they were available. Admittedly, the Jazzmaster came with the wrong trem arm originally (since sorted), and yes it does have a few dodgy side dots which arent centred. The strat was flawless, and the minor annoyances with the Jazzmaster are immediately forgotten when playing it. It plays superbly, I am really enjoying the slinky neck versus my AO jag.

Not sure if they have tightened the trem collet or increased the thickness of the (now correct) trem arm, but the arm stays in place and overall feels much tighter than my AO jag (which flops around fairly easily, staytrem to the rescue with that one).

Anyway, if they straighten out some out these general QC issues, then I think opinion will change. The ones I have are easily up there with the AO jag and 2017 avri 52 tele I own in terms of sound and playability.

Powdered Toast Man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Powdered Toast Man » Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:37 am

johnnysomersett wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:36 pm
Powdered Toast Man wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:48 pm
superficial wrote:
I was in a store recently and tried a bunch of expensive CS Teles for fun/comparison. My AO60s Telecaster easily stacked up against them all. Just the lacquer on the back of the neck bedding in more and it would have easily have been indiscernible.
I've got an AO60's Tele too (in LPB). It's the guitar that sent me down the AO rabbit hole. At one point I had five of them. I sold off the AO50's Strat as I just didn't bond with it and I had an opportunity to pick up a CS61 Strat so that won out. But right now I have four and a half of the AO60's lineup (I built a partscaster using an AO60's Tele neck). I've got the AO60's Tele, Strat, Jag, and JM. These are my forever never selling guitars.

You see it over on TDPRI that the AO60's Tele is extremely highly regarded. Some people have lamented that they're hard to find and I think that's because they're so good that owners aren't turning them over on the used market nearly as often as other models.