AO Series Discontinued

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: AO Series Discontinued

Post by Mechanical Birds » Sun May 22, 2022 10:50 am

sugarandopium wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 3:28 am
Another thought..

If it is a 66…. Are they going to deck it out with blocks or claim “early 66” and go with the AO/av65 bound dot necks they’ve been going with…..

Some of the “ 66 “ CS variants took that route with bound dot necks.

Idk…..
I’m sure we’ll find plenty to complain about 😆🤣😆
And then we’ll probably get a squire with a laurel board and a tenth of the build quality, but with all the right specs in 2023
Like 95% of MIJ reissues are somehow designated as a 66 reissue too even though they use a pre-cbs logo on the headstock, have no binding and definitely don’t have blocks, too.

And don’t get me wrong, wrong blocks are better than no blocks, but for fucks sake if yr gonna make a reissue at least just do it right. I can just see now, no LPB, goofy TVL blocks, it’ll come in CAR and have no matching headstock or a definite early/barely any red version of burst

wooderson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wooderson » Sun May 22, 2022 1:10 pm

Mondaysoutar wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 1:42 am
wooderson wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 4:40 pm
There will be an equivalent Jaguar to the Jazzmaster as always - the unnamed insider on "strat talk" probably barely remembers that Jaguars exist.
Hope so. I like jaguars, but can’t see it man. Especially right away anyway, as I say.
The AV/AVRI/AO line has continually had a Jaguar counterpart to the Jazzmaster, really no reason to believe they won't this time. If anything, it's more likely the '58 Jazzmaster is a fiction and both offsets will be '66ish.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Sun May 22, 2022 7:22 pm

Idk I could see them doing both just from where stores started doing those Thin Skins for previously unreleased models, especially the 59 Jazzmaster! That Wildwood one wasn’t a version of an existing release like all the AV65s were, ya know? Like they’re doing with the Classic Vibe special releases - there is otherwise no Classic Vibe 60s Jaguar, but for the FSR runs they sell them as a 60s variant.

I think this is inherently good and has always been something that annoyed me. There are like 3 versions of the Strat and Tele in every era of AV Fenders, but only ever one variant of the Jazzmaster or Jaguar, which is dumb enough, but is ESPECIALLY DUMB when you consider the fact that the only differences in the different versions are the aesthetics of the neck. Like all thru the AV65 line and AO60s line all that was stopping them from doing a 66 reissue is a different size inlay, maybe a slight change in the headstock decal.

I refuse to get my hopes up that they’ll put out this 66 reissue. It’s what I’ve wanted since I started actually learning about guitars, and I do think that eventually we will get one, but I’ll be surprised if it’s part of whatever this alleged new line is. I’m having doubts in general that there’ll be something new because usually these things leak a couple weeks before NAMM or whatever but we’re only like a week away from them and this is the only thing I can find whenever I search online for anything else talking about them.

Definitely hoping it’s real, though! I would no exaggeration buy a LPB 66 Jag or Jazzmaster immediately. Honestly I’d buy one of each and it would legit just be my guitar dream coming true. So again, if any fender sadist is reading this, c’mon, do the right thing here :)

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Mon May 23, 2022 12:40 am

I don't think they'd put out an expensive Jag this year in the same colour as the 60th anniversary model

Doc Sportello
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Doc Sportello » Tue May 24, 2022 2:03 pm

Any news?

dudecoolhat
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by dudecoolhat » Tue May 24, 2022 4:11 pm

Looks like the AO '60s JM just became available on fender.com. I had been eyeing these for a while but ended up pulling the trigger on an Am Pro II when those became available a few weeks back.

mcbrandt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcbrandt » Tue May 24, 2022 10:17 pm

Guitar of the day from Norms is a 2022 AO JM and doesn’t sound like anything’s changed with the model.

GreenKnee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GreenKnee » Wed May 25, 2022 12:11 am

mcbrandt wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 10:17 pm
Guitar of the day from Norms is a 2022 AO JM and doesn’t sound like anything’s changed with the model.
Fender have started to fill backorders recently for AOs ordered months ago. I've noticed a few UK guitar shops have AO Jags back in stock now.

sugarandopium
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sugarandopium » Wed May 25, 2022 6:43 am

Mechanical Birds wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 7:22 pm
Idk I could see them doing both just from where stores started doing those Thin Skins for previously unreleased models, especially the 59 Jazzmaster! That Wildwood one wasn’t a version of an existing release like all the AV65s were, ya know? Like they’re doing with the Classic Vibe special releases - there is otherwise no Classic Vibe 60s Jaguar, but for the FSR runs they sell them as a 60s variant.

I think this is inherently good and has always been something that annoyed me. There are like 3 versions of the Strat and Tele in every era of AV Fenders, but only ever one variant of the Jazzmaster or Jaguar, which is dumb enough, but is ESPECIALLY DUMB when you consider the fact that the only differences in the different versions are the aesthetics of the neck. Like all thru the AV65 line and AO60s line all that was stopping them from doing a 66 reissue is a different size inlay, maybe a slight change in the headstock decal.

I refuse to get my hopes up that they’ll put out this 66 reissue. It’s what I’ve wanted since I started actually learning about guitars, and I do think that eventually we will get one, but I’ll be surprised if it’s part of whatever this alleged new line is. I’m having doubts in general that there’ll be something new because usually these things leak a couple weeks before NAMM or whatever but we’re only like a week away from them and this is the only thing I can find whenever I search online for anything else talking about them.

Definitely hoping it’s real, though! I would no exaggeration buy a LPB 66 Jag or Jazzmaster immediately. Honestly I’d buy one of each and it would legit just be my guitar dream coming true. So again, if any fender sadist is reading this, c’mon, do the right thing here :)
I agree with most of what you said but this might be the time they finally put out multiples….

We’re not the small group of enthusiasts we were 20years ago. They seem like they just keep getting more and more popular…
I could totally see this being true and then doing 3 each strat and tele and 2 JM.

The thing that would sell me is if the 59 comes in white blonde with a flash coat (basically like the wild wood thin skin a few years ago but only with smaller frets and 7.25) complete with black bobbin pups, sign me the fuck up, I’d probably even preorder it!

I know there’s a very similar MIJ out right now but it’s nitro over poly. I’ve still considered grabbing one of them, want to see what next weeks announcement brings…

dave19er
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dave19er » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:14 am

In the interest of not starting a new thread, and with apologies for reviving an old one - has there been any other news of the American Original series actually being discontinued (and replaced with American Vintage II or some other line)? I ask because I've seen a few AO Jaguars trickle into guitar shops over the last few weeks or so. It seems weird that if Fender had been planning on discontinuing the line, they'd still be shipping new ones? Although maybe they're still fulfilling orders? I realize I'm probably well within the realm of speculation, but is Fender just waiting until the April 2023 NAMM to announce the new line?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

DavidG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DavidG » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:42 am

There's more speculation here, basically somebody has shared a reply from what they say is Fender customer support, confirming the American vintage line is coming soon: https://www.strat-talk.com/threads/new- ... es.589672/

Then you've got somebody on this thread going further, and listing some models (including a 66 jazzmaster). But the forums calling BS at present because recently another person on there did similar and turned out to be a troll: https://www.tdpri.com/threads/american- ... r.1111235/

I'm a fan of the American original line so I don't care too much, but it almost seems inevitable they will be replaced soon enough once they have fulfilled back orders.

dave19er
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dave19er » Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:36 pm

I’d seen that stuff about the troll. Annoying. It would be cool for Fender announce it soon, just to pull the band aid off of whether or not they’re gonna be doing it.

I, too, dig the AO line. I’m just not wild about the colors they have for the Jags. I don’t care if it’s AO or AV, I just want some other colors (and I do like Daphne blue, but I already have a strat in that color).

Thank you!

sugarandopium
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sugarandopium » Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:03 pm

Well they just announced a bunch of new fenders and looks like nothing for offsets except for the acoustisonic player.

I guess we’ll have to wait til next year to see any new models. Hopefully the narrow tall fret trend will be over but then.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:09 am

I don't care about the frets...one trip to a tech to get them to do a very heavy fret dress and you're back to vintage height. Too many people worry about something so easily fixed.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

dave19er
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dave19er » Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:12 pm

sugarandopium wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:03 pm
Well they just announced a bunch of new fenders and looks like nothing for offsets except for the acoustisonic player.
What?! Ugh. That’s so annoying. While I’m sure the world needs more iterations of strats, teles, and p-basses, I really wish they’d do more with offsets (plus, I’m full up on Strats and teles). Ah well.