Noventa Jazzmaster thoughts?

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
Lost In Autumn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Noventa Jazzmaster thoughts?

Post by Lost In Autumn » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:29 am

zovosaf wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:27 am
Lost In Autumn wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:01 am
I've played the Noventa when it first came out. The P90's in it here ok, I don't recall them being overly hot or dark, like the pickups in the J Mascis Jazzmaster. If my memory serves me well, I'd say they're a bit better than the P90's that Eastwood uses, but perhaps not as good as those in vintage gibsons and certainly not nearly as sweet as Fralins. The guitar will jangle, but there's not much twang in them. they'll work just fine with fuzz, overdrive and distortion.
Could probably fix that with some of the P90 offerings from Tv Jones. I heard they do a good job.
My preference for P90s is Lindy Fralin, but I'm also happy with the TV Jones pickups I have. ymmv.

zovosaf
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by zovosaf » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:39 am

Lost In Autumn wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:29 am
zovosaf wrote:
Lost In Autumn wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:01 am
I've played the Noventa when it first came out. The P90's in it here ok, I don't recall them being overly hot or dark, like the pickups in the J Mascis Jazzmaster. If my memory serves me well, I'd say they're a bit better than the P90's that Eastwood uses, but perhaps not as good as those in vintage gibsons and certainly not nearly as sweet as Fralins. The guitar will jangle, but there's not much twang in them. they'll work just fine with fuzz, overdrive and distortion.
Could probably fix that with some of the P90 offerings from Tv Jones. I heard they do a good job.
My preference for P90s is Lindy Fralin, but I'm also happy with the TV Jones pickups I have. ymmv.
TV Jones has a bunch of different P90s, I'll do my research on those. The Fralin ones sound pretty good too, if I were to choose a fralin set for my genre and type of sound it would probably be the Alnico Rod Hum-Cancelling P90s. Have some more defined highs judging by the chart.

Lost In Autumn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lost In Autumn » Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:45 am

zovosaf wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:39 am
Lost In Autumn wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:29 am
zovosaf wrote:

TV Jones has a bunch of different P90s, I'll do my research on those. The Fralin ones sound pretty good too, if I were to choose a fralin set for my genre and type of sound it would probably be the Alnico Rod Hum-Cancelling P90s. Have some more defined highs judging by the chart.
The Alnico Hum Cancelling P90's are effectively Jazzmaster Pickups in a soapbar form factor. The only difference that I can discern is that the string spacing is different; other than that, they're identical sidewinder style pickups. I like them in that they have more high end definition than steel pole p90s and a little more low end than Jazzmaster pickups, while maintaining clarity.