(T?)NGD: AV65 CFM Jazzmaster

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
rbrcbr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: (T?)NGD: AV65 CFM Jazzmaster

Post by rbrcbr » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:09 am

windmill wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:03 pm
I would be experimenting with how little food I really need.

:)
If I didn't live with my girlfriend and have to consider her well being, I'd absolutely consider it hahahaha
MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:01 pm
I think it was such a Thinskin model that made metallic finishes an option I liked. CFM is still a winner. :?
The 59 just looks like a expensive JMJM...
But keep what feels and sounds best!
It's unfortunate that this is an actual consideration, despite the JMJM being a great guitar. Especially once I start playing shows again..."hey man love that JMJM" :fp:
Have I finally evolved into snobby guitar dude that wants to show off offset nerddom with expensive (mostly) vintage correct reissue guitar and not be mistaken for cheaper guitar that looks just like it? :whistle: The blonde '59 gold guard truly is one of the best looking jazzmasters out there, I understand why J would pick it for a signature model. Do we know if he ever played a blonde gold guard? I don't think I've ever seen him with one, but I'm not the biggest Dinosaur Jr fan by any means.
garyfanclub wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:07 am
ooooffff I don't envy you, that CFM JM is gorgeous (add tort and it's my dream JM)

I'd go with a quick string change and see what you think after you've swapped to your usual gauge. Agree that 10's on a JM is going to feel sloppy and probably sound pretty plinky... "Feel" is always the deciding factor for me and a new guitar - does it play a certain way that I find inspiring? Maybe it's not *exactly* how my others play, but sometimes that's nice and it'll force me to take a different approach to what I'm writing... same for tone, I wouldn't want 2 guitars that sound exactly the same. Not trying to justify you keeping both or anything ... :shifty:

Agree that the AV65 pickups can be a bit much on the high end. Like I said, I'm running flats and I still find myself avoiding the bridge PU entirely and riding the Vol/Tone controls.
Yeah, that's next on the list. I'd missed that the G saddle was low for some reason and the string was sitting out of radius, even more plinky sounding than usual. I plug it in and it sounds fine, tho bright, but once I put it against everything else I've got it just sounds entirely too bright. The tone knob taper is too dramatic too to really tame the high end without completely mudding up. I think the black bobbin pickups will end up in this, maybe even with the 280k pots. . The '59 is great (great neck and weight) and all and maybe it's just novelty of a new guitar but I'm finding myself drawn to this one a bit more, even in it's current shitty set up state. I'm between giving it another week or two to decide, or just being brash and letting go of the '59. We'll see soon enough!

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:24 am

rbrcbr wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:09 am
MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:01 pm
I think it was such a Thinskin model that made metallic finishes an option I liked. CFM is still a winner. :?
The 59 just looks like a expensive JMJM...
But keep what feels and sounds best!
It's unfortunate that this is an actual consideration, despite the JMJM being a great guitar. Especially once I start playing shows again..."hey man love that JMJM" :fp:
Have I finally evolved into snobby guitar dude that wants to show off offset nerddom with expensive (mostly) vintage correct reissue guitar and not be mistaken for cheaper guitar that looks just like it? :whistle: The blonde '59 gold guard truly is one of the best looking jazzmasters out there, I understand why J would pick it for a signature model. Do we know if he ever played a blonde gold guard? I don't think I've ever seen him with one, but I'm not the biggest Dinosaur Jr fan by any means.
Two of my favorite color combinations there (I had that CFM on my watch list but couldn't pull the trigger).
I'd propose that the '59 is total next-level guitar nerddom. Most folks may be "nice JMJM" but only a select few will see that the trem is in the right place, with the right bridge... And there's nothing wrong with having a guitar that doesn't set off the "rare jazzmaster" alarm bells for most folks... Those who know, know.

gutter rock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gutter rock » Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:31 pm

Would be an easy choice for me! Charcoal Frost is the keeper. There is a bazillion white Jazzmasters out there in the wild. Charcoal frost is quite a rare sight and it’s awesome!

algeriet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by algeriet » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:30 am

cestlamort wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:24 am
Those who know, know.
Agreed.
rbrcbr wrote:
I understand why J would pick it for a signature model. Do we know if he ever played a blonde gold guard? I don't think I've ever seen him with one, but I'm not the biggest Dinosaur Jr fan by any means.
J's Squier is in fact based on this refin '58 of his:

My 0.02€:

You've got two killer guitars. I've got (among too many other Jazzmasters) an AV65 in targetburst that's been my favourite guitar since I got it back in 2017 and a 2018 60th anniversary '58 reissue Jazzmaster that should be very similar to your Thin Skin '59 with minor differences in spec. This duo, like my duo, is to me imo a perfect Jazzmaster setup where you've got an amazing bound thicker neck and a later 60's vibe, and the late 50's in the other with what I presume has a thinner neck. Two Jazzmasters that are similar and different at the same time and of equal calibre quality wise.

You do whatever you want/need to do, but I'd hate for you to look back one day and realise that you made a mistake and regret anything. You said you've always wanted a CFM so congrats on finally getting one. You've got two special Jazzmasters that are imo lifers as far as modern factory production guitars are concerned. There's no rush, save some cash and in a couple of months down the line have some new pickups/pots/bridge installed in the CFM if you need to.

Otherwise lemme have first dibs on the white one! 👹

rbrcbr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rbrcbr » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:17 am

Well, a decision has been made and a guitar has moved on...

As much as I was resisting it, the '59 is just a better fit for me - the thinner neck just suits me better. There's not too much else to say. I was in the process of taking set up measurements to swap bridges and pickups and kind of realized that the '59 is perfect where it's at, and that I didn't want to go through the trouble of changing anything over to the AV65.

I loved the CFM but it sort of seems to occupy the "dream jazzmaster" slot for a lot of people...it's frickin cool but not my dream jazzmaster if I'm being honest. Rather not stress myself financially to keep two at the moment and eventually get into something spec'd out as my dream jazzmaster, either something vintage or go all in on something like this: https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/pr ... ial-973566 .

That said, it's already packed and on it's way to one of our own, warreng!

Thanks for tuning in on this difficult choice hahaha, I'm looking forward to many more years with this '59.

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:54 am

algeriet wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:30 am
cestlamort wrote:
Those who know, know.
Agreed.
rbrcbr wrote:
I understand why J would pick it for a signature model. Do we know if he ever played a blonde gold guard? I don't think I've ever seen him with one, but I'm not the biggest Dinosaur Jr fan by any means.

My 0.02€:

You've got two killer guitars. I've got (among too many other Jazzmasters) an AV65 in targetburst that's been my favourite guitar since I got it back in 2017 and a 2018 60th anniversary '58 reissue Jazzmaster that should be very similar to your Thin Skin '59 with minor differences in spec. This duo, like my duo, is to me imo a perfect Jazzmaster setup where you've got an amazing bound thicker neck and a later 60's vibe, and the late 50's in the other with what I presume has a thinner neck. Two Jazzmasters that are similar and different at the same time and of equal calibre quality wise.

You do whatever you want/need to do, but I'd hate for you to look back one day and realise that you made a mistake and regret anything. You said you've always wanted a CFM so congrats on finally getting one. You've got two special Jazzmasters that are imo lifers as far as modern factory production guitars are concerned. There's no rush, save some cash and in a couple of months down the line have some new pickups/pots/bridge installed in the CFM if you need to.

The JMJM would be objectively better in every way if the trem spacing wasn’t like it is holy shit. I hate a TOM as much as anyone hates yr typical murderer or rapist but if it came down to typical BTB string length and having to use a TOM or the setup I ended up with, closer BTB and a Staytrem (that more and more I feel might not be wholly necessary, on this guitar at least) I’d take the former.

Buddy of mine just bought a new JMJM from a relatively local store who told him it was being discontinued and that was why they had 7 of them on the wall. That sounds idiotic to me because it’s like the most popular Squier guitar ever probably so hopefully it’s not true. I want that guitar to exist in perpetuity

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:57 am

And yeah, if we’re talking current production that 66 Journeyman is the coolest ever oh my god

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:41 pm

Zeus wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:05 pm
rbrcbr wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:40 pm
...unless I sell off a bunch of pedals and other gear that is easier to source down the line.
Sounds like you've solved the problem!
This.
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:15 pm

I commend the OP’s sensible and practical choices.

I guess the neck is important, but all those other bits could easily be upgraded. I’d go with the CFM all day.

What I learned when I had two similar guitars, a Sherwood Green AVRI Jag and another green Jag I ordered from the Custom Shop is that at first I preferred the AVRI, but over time the CS Jag won out as I got more and more used to it. That AVRI was great, but I don’t miss it.

Lost In Autumn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lost In Autumn » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:12 am

Mechanical Birds wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:54 am
algeriet wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:30 am
cestlamort wrote:
Those who know, know.
Agreed.
rbrcbr wrote:

My 0.02€:

The JMJM would be objectively better in every way if the trem spacing wasn’t like it is holy shit. I hate a TOM as much as anyone hates yr typical murderer or rapist but if it came down to typical BTB string length and having to use a TOM or the setup I ended up with, closer BTB and a Staytrem (that more and more I feel might not be wholly necessary, on this guitar at least) I’d take the former.

Buddy of mine just bought a new JMJM from a relatively local store who told him it was being discontinued and that was why they had 7 of them on the wall. That sounds idiotic to me because it’s like the most popular Squier guitar ever probably so hopefully it’s not true. I want that guitar to exist in perpetuity
I changed everything possible on mine and still didn't love it; I attribute that to the trem spacing. Still, I sold it for $220 more than I paid for it, so I'm not mad.

MattK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MattK » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:37 am

Sell pedals and anything else not nailed down, eat beans, clip coupons but for the love of god KEEP THEM BOTH.