Post your Custom Shop Offsets

Discussion of newer designs, copies and reissue offset-waist instruments.
JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Post your Custom Shop Offsets

Post by JSett » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:11 pm

Unicorn Warrior wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:12 pm
johnnysomersett wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:43 am
This seems as an appropriate place as any on here to ask this:

Have any of you ever bought a CS model and felt, well, underwhelmed?

After a few months of owning and playing it I've come to the sad conclusion that, after lusting for - and eventually treating myself to - what I thought was the ultimate current production example Jazzmaster ...that I actually prefer playing my old beat-up MIJ :unsure:
While I’m sorry you may feel a bit underwhelmed, I’m kinda glad you are honest about it. I very nearly pulled the trigger on a custom build CS last year. With an amount of money I really didn’t need to spend on a guitar. I often wonder “what if?”…and your statement reminds me of this old beater 75’ mustang I got rid of. Now it’s worth quite a bit more, but 5 or 6 years ago it was the same price as a standard strat. But I traded it for something that was supposedly worth quite a bit more. I was so unsatisfied with the more expensive instrument. As a matter of fact, there’s a lot of things about my rig I liked better before I “upgraded”.

Just serves as a reminder to enjoy what you have. Everything could always be better. What matters is the art you’re making and the heart that it’s coming from more than anything.

New gear is fun and can be inspirational, but not always. For the longest time I’ve been married to the thrill of the chase rather than the thrill of the already achieved. I think the latter is where the good stuff comes from.
I've become much more of a realist in my late-30s and much better at 'owning' mistakes. My misplaced sense of pride all but disappeared by quitting my (highly paid, yet high stressed) job and starting from the bottom in something completely new. Going from a high salary to no salary as an apprentice really puts things into perspective!

I am guilty as sin of loving the 'chase'...for me it's almost a hobby. A lot of the time it pays off but, yes I'll admit, this time I've been stung. Time to move it on and learn my lesson (again)
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:30 am

johnnysomersett wrote:

After a few months of owning and playing it I've come to the sad conclusion that, after lusting for - and eventually treating myself to - what I thought was the ultimate current production example Jazzmaster ...that I actually prefer playing my old beat-up MIJ :unsure:
I was underwhelmed with my guitar when it first showed up. I had like four other Jaguars, and each one had an attribute that was a little better than the CS version, but I stuck with it, and it grew on me more and more and more. It evolved into my favorite guitar. It has everything I could want, and I changed up a few things on it as I got more familiar with Jags and what I needed from them. I sold all my other Jags and only have the CS one for that model.

I often wonder with CS rejects (and all guitars for that matter) how much of a chance people give their guitars before they move them on-- but I know that sort of thing is so personal that there is never going to be an answer that works for everyone.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:51 am

Jaguar018 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:30 am
johnnysomersett wrote:

I was underwhelmed with my guitar when it first showed up. I had like four other Jaguars, and each one had an attribute that was a little better than the CS version, but I stuck with it, and it grew on me more and more and more. It evolved into my favorite guitar. It has everything I could want, and I changed up a few things on it as I got more familiar with Jags and what I needed from them. I sold all my other Jags and only have the CS one for that model.

I often wonder with CS rejects (and all guitars for that matter) how much of a chance people give their guitars before they move them on-- but I know that sort of thing is so personal that there is never going to be an answer that works for everyone.
I'm pretty sure I know what it is. Well, it's a combination of things really. The neck is a weird profile for one, and a little wide at the nut, meaning it's not so comfy to play. That's probably the main stumbling block.

The second is a mental issue. I've had it before when I've bought 'pretty' guitars. I'm scared to play them. I play rough and I'm clumsy. I know if I relax with it I'll do major damage to it. I'm no good at babying instruments.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

iainmayfield
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by iainmayfield » Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:54 am

Hey Johnny - i've been following your posts on the BMM JM - i nearly bought that from Coda but you pipped me to the post! - i have a 3 custom shop jazzmasters and they are all different - but in heir own way - a combination of weight - neck feel - and overall sound. My favourite is my gold sparkle 62 relic - light , easy to play and sounds just great - least favourite is a closet classic 64 in sonic blue - heavier but then sounds great. I have around 30 jazzmasters now - my favourites are definitely the the ones that can be played without worry of bashing them up - my MJT home made ones are probably my favourites. (although nothing compares to my vintage 1966 in suburst!)

BTL
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BTL » Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:14 am

This thread has me daydreaming about CS Jags & Mustangs. I think I've gone down a rabbit hole.
Owner, Lowe Custom Guitars

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:24 am

Here are my CS Jag's battle scars after having it for 13+ years. It was gigged back when that was happening, but now it spends its days in the basement with the rest of my guitars. I vaguely remember being upset about the first ding it got, but after that? I don't really care. This is one of those personal things that we all have different levels of. The idea of being upset about scratches and dings depending on a price point is very interesting if you think about it. Now if we were talking cars, a big deep scratch on a vintage Ferrari is going to be different than one on a Toyota, or perhaps a Rolex vs. a Timex... but these sort of things are expected on guitars, and even sought after. I dunno. I have a guitar that I love and it makes me happy. I've never been precious about anything that I collect.

drybiro
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by drybiro » Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:40 am

Since I got my Namm 2013 Mustang a few years ago I've been keeping an eye out to see if any others pop up.

One of the black ones has just surfaced in Japan, it's very pricey but it looks really cool.

Here's a link to it if anyone's feeling flush: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/305382859789