Glitch viewing the forum on an iPhone *UPDATED with a clear screenshot of issue*

For troubles with forum features or general questions regarding site moderation/administration.
NBarnes21
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Glitch viewing the forum on an iPhone *UPDATED with a clear screenshot of issue*

Post by NBarnes21 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:26 pm

Hey, I love to check and post @ this forum regularly on my iPhone, but there is a bit of a formatting glitch (see pic below).  It's a bit blurry and backwards, but notice that my profile summary at the top is misaligned with the rest of the webpage, making the page a lot bigger and the words on the page a lot smaller (and making it more difficult to navigate).  I'm not sure how you fix this, but thought you might like to know.  Anyone else like to surf the forum on their iPhone, or am I the only one with this issue?

UPDATE- 7/15
Here's a better photo of what the page looks like on my iPhone.

Last edited by NBarnes21 on Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hello, my name is Nate, and I'm a bend-aholic

callum
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Glitch viewing the forum on an iPhone

Post by callum » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:44 am

hmm, is that pic not working for anyone else,  ???

luau
Admin
Admin

Post by luau » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:57 am

There's a glitch viewing the picture of a glitch.

My phone doesn't have such problems.

:)
Bigger in sum than parts.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:13 am

luau wrote: There's a glitch viewing the picture of a glitch.

My phone doesn't have such problems.

:)
:D

somehow I expect a mountain of cocaine next to that phone....dunno why!

;D
Resident Spartan.

hieronymous
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hieronymous » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:34 am

NBarnes21 wrote: Hey, I love to check and post @ this forum regularly on my iPhone, but there is a bit of a formatting glitch (see pic below).  It's a bit blurry and backwards, but notice that my profile summary at the top is misaligned with the rest of the webpage, making the page a lot bigger and the words on the page a lot smaller (and making it more difficult to navigate).  I'm not sure how you fix this, but thought you might like to know.  Anyone else like to surf the forum on their iPhone, or am I the only one with this issue?
I usually don't look at forums on my iPod Touch, but I checked and you're right - the profile summary is over to the right. But everything else looks as I would expect. I have no idea why this would be, though in my experience sometimes websites that look fine on one browser can be completely messed up on another.
4 strings, 6 strings, 8 strings, more! (basses, that is)

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:05 pm

I'd definitely need to see a screenshot for starters to be able to look into it further but I have a feeling it's a function of the way the site is laid out to expand to around 90% of the window width.  Scaling the window down to smaller then the minimum width of all of the individual elements (as would be necessary for display within the iPhones low resolution) will cause them to stack up on top of one another.

NBarnes21
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NBarnes21 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:52 pm

Weird, I can view it fine.  I tried uploading it again, here goes:

NBarnes21
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NBarnes21 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:56 pm

Here is one more, I reformatted it and everything, if it doesn't work, I don't know what else to do.

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:02 pm

Unfortunately that's just too small and fuzzy for me to see what's going on.  If you want to try and get a real screenshot there's a utility to do so here.

NBarnes21
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NBarnes21 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:08 pm

Yeah, you have to jailbreak your phone to get that app, which I'm not gonna do, it voids your warranty and keeps you locked into the current software version until they find workarounds for the updates.  The profile summary at the top, just under the offsetguitars heading, is misaligned (farther to the left in the picture, which is backwards) with the forum thread topics, resulting in the large gray area you see in the left of the picture.  Notice to the right of the profile summary there is also a blank gray area.  It's really no big deal, I don't mind it too much, just thought you might like to know.  Thanks for looking!

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:50 pm

That's pretty fucked up.  >:(  I can't see any reason to not allow thrid party applications and to prevent you from being entitled to software updates if you hack your phone to install them.  I'm surprised Apple isn't being sued for that right now... it should be (and probably is) illegal.

NBarnes21
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NBarnes21 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:56 am

It'll all change this month because apple is finally releasing a Software Developer's Kit and opening it to 3rd party apps.  Up until now, you had to jailbreak your phone to get 3rd party apps made by developers, and the process of jailbreaking would fundamentally change how the OS operated on a root level.  Then, when they tried updating to new software versions Apple released with jailbroken phones, things would get totally fucked up on their phone because so much shit was different and some phones would "brick" and become useless. 

Apple's stance was to not support people who had gone this route, as it violates the agreement they signed upon activating it (Apple has always been about locking people into a specific system, i.e. iPod and iTunes, but hey, it's a pretty damn good system, and saves it from many of the problems Windows faces, i.e viruses).  Thank God all that shit will be over with come late June because then anyone will be able to get 3rd party apps on their phones through itunes, and there's no real reason for anyone to continue to develop apps that require jailbreaking, unless they want to unlock it to work with a network other than AT&T.

Sorry, that had nothing to do with offset guitars, or webpage glitches.  ::)

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:59 am

Thank God all that shit will be over with come late June because then anyone will be able to get 3rd party apps on their phones through itunes, and there's no real reason for anyone to continue to develop apps that require jailbreaking, unless they want to unlock it to work with a network other than AT&T.
The first half of that statement sounds like monopoly to me.  And the second half should be illegal already.  I'm truly amazed nobody in the US has challenged exclusivity agreements for a piece of purchased hardware that the customer owns.  It'd be as if I could only buy internet service from AT&T for my mac desktop.  Oh, and the software I want to use on it can only be purchased through Apple.  Oh, and if I don't want to use the hardware and software I purchased and now own in a way we deemed acceptable by Apple, they'll render your computer useless.  It's unreal and totally fucked IMO.  Some European countries have laws to prevent this sort of behavior IIRC... it's why it took them longer to get it released there.  /rant.

Off topic is ok from time to time.  I see if I can figure out the rendering thing today.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:06 am

I'm not sure if things have changed, but when the iPhone was launched here in the UK, you could only get it through one phone company (O2)

I'm with T-Mobile, so unless I changed phone companies I couldn't get an iPhone

...so I never got an iPhone...which is a shame, as I've used macs for years and years and I'm used to the way they work.

Apple is shit like that sometimes. :(
Resident Spartan.

NBarnes21
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Glitch viewing the forum on an iPhone *UPDATED with a clear screenshot of is

Post by NBarnes21 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:33 pm

Well, the iPhone's new software now includes a screenshot utility, so here is a shot of what the page looks like when I view it on my iPhone, I also added it to my first post in this thread up top.