Rule request - Keep prices visible

For troubles with forum features or general questions regarding site moderation/administration.
Telliot
Mods
Mods

Re: Rule request - Keep prices visible

Post by Telliot » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:46 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:20 am
Telliot wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:29 am
FYI, I've gone ahead and updated the rules to reflect this request. Please let me know if I should amend the update in any way.
Maybe not about this, but as I was reading the rules, I noticed that there was a "use the best English you can" section. The other day I noticed a couple people discussing in Swedish, and I thought that was pretty cool.

Why not put something on there saying all languages are welcome? I doubt it will matter much, but I would hate for people to think this is an English language only forum.
That rule always struck me as a bit odd, but I get the gist of it in that we want everyone to be understood - if anything the rule might be written a bit awkwardly. I don't think there's any rule against people speaking in other languages. I seem to recall a couple people sending quick sentences back and forth in a friendly way to acknowledge their commonality. I think that's cool, personally.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:53 am

Telliot wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:46 am

That rule always struck me as a bit odd, but I get the gist of it in that we want everyone to be understood - if anything the rule might be written a bit awkwardly. I don't think there's any rule against people speaking in other languages. I seem to recall a couple people sending quick sentences back and forth in a friendly way to acknowledge their commonality. I think that's cool, personally.
Well, no, of course there's no mandate for English only, still, it just occurred to me that it might be discouraging at first glance. I might suggest something like "All languages welcome, but we strive for understandability as much as possible, so if you are using English please..."

That sort of thing. They should make me a mod! Except for my incredibly poor attitude.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:30 pm

I always thought the 'best English' was to stop the use of txt spk and the annoying habit of everyone back in 2006-2010 of abbreviating EVERYTHING thanks to character limitations in SMS services and the like. I always find it amazing that people can understand a second language so well that the least we can not do is not go all "I like this gtr and it looks gud on u". Also, in this day and age of limitless characters and extremely good autocorrect, it automatically makes me thing the person on the other end of it is a moron :D
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:33 pm

That's a fair point, I hadn't considered that angle.

graceless
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by graceless » Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:12 pm

Is it possible to just disable the 'edit' function on for sale posts? I am sure this will continue to happen

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:13 pm

graceless wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:12 pm
Is it possible to just disable the 'edit' function on for sale posts? I am sure this will continue to happen
It just happened! :)
If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:37 pm

johnnysomersett wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:30 pm
I always thought the 'best English' was to stop the use of txt spk and the annoying habit of everyone back in 2006-2010 of abbreviating EVERYTHING thanks to character limitations in SMS services and the like. I always find it amazing that people can understand a second language so well that the least we can not do is not go all "I like this gtr and it looks gud on u". Also, in this day and age of limitless characters and extremely good autocorrect, it automatically makes me thing the person on the other end of it is a moron :D
This was really the reason for the rule, to try and keep the l33t talk to a minimum. But also as a gental reminder, we're communicating with people who speak various languages from various places and english, for better or worse, is the common language most of us speak.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:46 pm

graceless wrote:
This is great until someone wants to edit it to adjust pricing ("price drop") or needs to edit a mistake/spelling error/etc

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:10 pm

johnnysomersett wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:46 pm
graceless wrote:
This is great until someone wants to edit it to adjust pricing ("price drop") or needs to edit a mistake/spelling error/etc
Agreed, I don’t think it needs to be so draconian. A simple reminder of the rules should suffice, I hope.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:23 pm

We should be able to self-police that to some extent. The vast majority of us are conscious of these things and polite enough to request it if someone has edited incorrectly if we see it.

I actually just went back to re-add the prices in from my Tele/Jag post and realised I'd done it right the first time (for once)!

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:57 pm

Telliot wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:29 am
FYI, I've gone ahead and updated the rules to reflect this request. Please let me know if I should amend the update in any way.
I think it should be just slightly different (regarding editing the thread title after the item is sold), adding "except to append SOLD"

?

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:10 am

Done :)

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:53 am

Thanks for doing this.

It has been very annoying to see the 'sold please delete' as the thread title without having any idea what was up for sale.