Dark theme???

For troubles with forum features or general questions regarding site moderation/administration.
JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Dark theme???

Post by JVG » Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:03 pm

øøøøøøø wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:30 pm
You can add small attachments—photos, etc—by uploading directly (instead of using Imgur or whatever). This is not only way easier, it means that the posts will still be whole ten years down the line (which is almost never the case with linked photos/files).
This would be fantastic, and from my perspective the single most beneficial change to the site.

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:01 am

I don't agree that anything needs to change, but that's just me. There is a bit of a delightful natural filtering effect that this simple text format accomplishes. People who need flashing shit and fifteen frames each with their own changing-content, and the site having to reload with every click - THEY might be inclined to stay. But you all know what I think about them. (It's bad in a cosmic sense.)

That said I liked most of what Brad said except:
øøøøøøø wrote:
I think this next one is controversial on here for some reason, but the ability to acknowledge or agree with a post (via a “like”) obsoletes the litany of empty/needless “+1” and “QFE/QFT” responses. I find this to be a massive net-positive, as it clearly increases the proportion of substantive content
I would love an example that's not from your example site. In every single instance, where there are like buttons, there is FAR MORE shitty unfunny posts from others who are trying to get likes. In short, I have seen the exact opposite of what you say in TDPRI and TB, and of course in all social media.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:13 am

DeathJag wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:01 am
I don't agree that anything needs to change, but that's just me. There is a bit of a delightful natural filtering effect that this simple text format accomplishes. People who need flashing shit and fifteen frames each with their own changing-content, and the site having to reload with every click - THEY might be inclined to stay. But you all know what I think about them. (It's bad in a cosmic sense.)

That said I liked most of what Brad said except:
øøøøøøø wrote:
I think this next one is controversial on here for some reason, but the ability to acknowledge or agree with a post (via a “like”) obsoletes the litany of empty/needless “+1” and “QFE/QFT” responses. I find this to be a massive net-positive, as it clearly increases the proportion of substantive content
I would love an example that's not from your example site. In every single instance, where there are like buttons, there is FAR MORE shitty unfunny posts from others who are trying to get likes. In short, I have seen the exact opposite of what you say in TDPRI and TB, and of course in all social media.
I am inclined to agree with the first part. I don't really desire any changes apart from the direct image upload. That would be amazing. There's not a lot of "+1/QFE" type posts here anyway so I don't see that issue personally.

As for a dark mode? Well, not wanting to sound like someones dad, but it's not healthy to be on your phone as you're about to go to sleep or in an overly dark room, put it away :D :D
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:11 am

DeathJag wrote:
In every single instance, where there are like buttons, there is FAR MORE shitty unfunny posts from others who are trying to get likes. In short, I have seen the exact opposite of what you say in TDPRI and TB, and of course in all social media.
I disagree that this is true in every instance--I think shitposting (or not) has more to do with the people in the community than the presence or absence of a "like" button.

I basically only look at two old-school fora besides this one anymore: GroupDIY and Pro Recording Workshop (which uses Tapatalk). Both have "like" functionality, and I haven't seen the sort of thing you're describing at either of those places, and I suspect we wouldn't see it here, either.

While we're on the subject of Tapatalk, I don't like it nearly as well as the Xenforo that GroupDIY uses.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:15 am

@Jay I just thought of another major, major, major feature request, and a handful of minor ones

First, the big one: this is the only place on the internet I frequent that doesn't allow typical word processor key command shortcuts when using the editor.

At least twice per session I hit "command-I" to do italics (which is how it works on every other forum), and every time I'm rewarded with apple's Mail app drafting a new message with the entire page's contents. If the page is long and image-heavy, this is slow, then I have to delete the new message (without saving draft!) and go back to my browser window.

In the grand scheme of things this isn't the worst problem anyone could have, but it is quietly maddening every single time it happens, and for me would be the single most compelling reason to switch to a more-contemporary forum software.

Also, GroupDIY has a "multi-quote" function that allows you to select multiple quotes from different authors in the same thread and reply to them in a single post. This is much more elegant than what I've done here--which is make a separate post for each reply.

Bonus:

In classifieds sections, the color-coded "FS/FSOT/WTB/FT" icons (and the ability to mark something sold, changing the icon) is incredibly convenient on modern fora like the new GroupDIY. It allows you to scan the page and see what's still available quickly, and disregard the sold items. It also allows you to do a classifieds search and see at a glance what hasn't been marked as sold yet.

Speaking of classifieds, many fora have a feedback system for sellers.

That's much, much more elegant than a 110-page "successful/positive dealings" megathread. I'm not really sure anyone is going to find useful information about a potential trading partner via that mechanism.

Edited to add: Does't seem like i can tag you, Jay. Is that not supported? If so, there's another one for the list! :)

Cheers!

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:24 am

johnnysomersett wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:13 am
As for a dark mode? Well, not wanting to sound like someones dad, but it's not healthy to be on your phone as you're about to go to sleep or in an overly dark room, put it away :D :D
It's an accessibility issue for some types of vision impairments and learning disabilities. Some people comprehend and/or see better with different levels and types of contrast, and it's more-inclusive to support a couple of variations.

Also, I just prefer it as an experience at any time of day, because a computer screen is not a sheet of paper. A white background is basically staring into an illuminated light bulb, which is not my favorite user experience.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:53 am

øøøøøøø wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:24 am
johnnysomersett wrote:
It's an accessibility issue for some types of vision impairments and learning disabilities. Some people comprehend and/or see better with different levels and types of contrast, and it's more-inclusive to support a couple of variations.

Also, I just prefer it as an experience at any time of day, because a computer screen is not a sheet of paper. A white background is basically staring into an illuminated light bulb, which is not my favorite user experience.
Valid point, well made. I retract my earlier statement
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

JackFawkes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JackFawkes » Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:42 pm

øøøøøøø wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:24 am
johnnysomersett wrote:
That's more or less what I was going to say too. As someone who stares at screens for a living (as well as frequently on my off-time) I use "dark mode" on as many things as possible regardless of time-of-day; since I feel my eyes don't get tired as quickly with dark mode.

Jack

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:09 am

Further to the last couple of comments, old computers all used "dark mode" - the only reason that computer visual interfaces switched to dark text on a bright background was thanks to the popularity of WYSIWYG word processor software such as MS Word (which were trying to make it look exactly as it would on your eventually printed piece of paper). As mentioned already, it's harder on your eyes, your eyes are naturally trying to focus on the great big white thing around the text that you actually want to read. That's why it hurts after a while. This has been known for decades, and finally designers are doing the right thing about it.

BTW while we're talking about possible improvements, the one the mostof interest to me is the ability to embed videos in a post. No need to follow a link and open another tab/page, just click on it and it starts playing there and then, inline.

Oh, and strikethrough for text. How often I used that on other sites for tongue-in-cheek comments...

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:33 am

Yeah, sensible list for me would be:
- html text editor
- fully mobile responsive (it’s pretty good at this, but ya know)
- image uploading
- link previews, &
- video embedded
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:25 am

Futuron wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:09 am

BTW while we're talking about possible improvements, the one the mostof interest to me is the ability to embed videos in a post. No need to follow a link and open another tab/page, just click on it and it starts playing there and then, inline.

Oh, and strikethrough for text. How often I used that on other sites for tongue-in-cheek comments...
+1 to both of these

(Or “like” on most other fora :) )

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:50 am

Another new GroupDIY feature I like: hovering over a thread title brings up a preview of the first few lines of text (this might be the "link previews" that sal paradise mentioned above).

This is sometimes useful if the thread title is ambiguous or just to see if a thread might be more relevant than it appears from the title alone.

soggy mittens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by soggy mittens » Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:18 am

While it is still fresh in the conversation, I remember there was discussion of it a while ago but I always thought the idea that I put forth was kinda genius. Basically having a like button system that is turned off by default and those that want to use it can do so by selecting it in their profile, it would be invisible to everyone that hasn't enabled it and invisible to anyone that isn't logged in. That way the haters don't have to deal with it, and the supporters get to enjoy it, everyone wins. I mean how could anyone argue with that proposal, water tight from where I'm laying.!11
If OSG has tort me anything...

luau
Admin
Admin

Post by luau » Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:24 am

DeathJag wrote:
This is my basic stance as a user. The less it's like Slack or Teams or Facebook or Twitter the better.

Hosting images is the only suggestion in here that seems worth the effort to me personally.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:38 am

Other than being able to directly upload images, I don't have much complaint.

Oh, also the method of making text be a link is a little cumbersome.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.