Dark theme???

For troubles with forum features or general questions regarding site moderation/administration.
DaFuzz
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Dark theme???

Post by DaFuzz » Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:26 am

Hello! I was wondering if there will ever be an option for a "dark theme" of this forum as far as display options are concerned. If this has been already discussed I apologise.

Cheers!!!
ART IS RESISTANCE

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Re: Dark theme???

Post by Telliot » Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:22 am

We've never had one as far as I know, but I would definitely opt for that if given the chance.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

Tele295
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tele295 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:38 pm

I’d be down for that
Jill Martini & The Shrunken Heads - all aloha, all the time

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:16 pm

Surely there are other upgrades that would be more useful before dark mode?

phpBB is 20 years old. The UX is a looong way from a decent internet experience when it comes to posting images & links.
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

soggy mittens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by soggy mittens » Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:58 am

+1

This site hurts my eyes at night. :C
If OSG has tort me anything...

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:14 am

Bring it! 8)

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:10 am

sal paradise wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:16 pm
Surely there are other upgrades that would be more useful before dark mode?

phpBB is 20 years old. The UX is a looong way from a decent internet experience when it comes to posting images & links.
We've looked into some options... the hope is that eventually we can migrate to something more contemporary but transferring this database into some new forum software using whatever tools are provided will surely make a huge mess to clean up and frankly, seems about as likely to improve things as it would be to ruin things completely.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:19 am

Use your accessibility settings. There will be an 'invert colours' setting in there somewhere you can toggle on/off

Although, that does invert pictures as well :D

There's probably an app out there to force a dark mode on websites tbh
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:17 pm

johnnysomersett wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:19 am
Use your accessibility settings. There will be an 'invert colours' setting in there somewhere you can toggle on/off

There are a bunch of plugins for most browsers. I tried one but it didn't look great as I think the background on here is actually a fixed image.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

luau
Admin
Admin

Post by luau » Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:43 am

andy_tchp wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:17 pm
johnnysomersett wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:19 am

There are a bunch of plugins for most browsers. I tried one but it didn't look great as I think the background on here is actually a fixed image.
This bit of css in your browser's user css file will nuke the background image:

body#phpbb {
background-image:none !important
}

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:30 am

GroupDIY just changed to a new forum user interface after decades of being in an outmoded/deprecated environment.

The transition appears to have been seamless, and the user experience is SO much improved, it looks nicer, it's more flexible... just generally an all around major upgrade.

I wonder whether it might be worth admin checking out to see what they're using, maybe getting in touch to see if they have any experience to share?

I'd also like a dark mode along with myriad other features, if we're wishing.

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:20 am

GroupDIY is running xenforo, you can see a link to the software at the bottom of the site in the footer. From a very cursory glance, it appears to be visually similar to PHPbb in general, so I'd be interested in which user experience elements you feel are improved.

Also, looking at it some more, xenforo is really expensive, so probably not an option for us but having some idea about what makes it better would be great for thinking about where to go in the future.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:30 pm

Some things I like:

Cleaner user interface; look and feel is vastly improved from old GroupDIY site.

Messaging is great—it exists in the form of conversations that are threaded, instead of the old-school PM style

I think this next one is controversial on here for some reason, but the ability to acknowledge or agree with a post (via a “like”) obsoletes the litany of empty/needless “+1” and “QFE/QFT” responses. I find this to be a massive net-positive, as it clearly increases the proportion of substantive content

It’s VERY snappy and fast, making it eminently usable even when on weak internet connections (e.g. throttled-back “free” international mobile data roaming at 2G speeds).

You can set it up to be notified when a thread in which you’ve participated has been replied-to, or when you’ve been quoted, etc. I find this to be a real time-saver and improvement to user experience.

You can add small attachments—photos, etc—by uploading directly (instead of using Imgur or whatever). This is not only way easier, it means that the posts will still be whole ten years down the line (which is almost never the case with linked photos/files).

I realize the hosting for those attachments surely isn’t free, but personally a banner ad or voluntary donation is more than worth it to have a site with intact archives (nothing more frustrating than a schematic or informative picture that’s just gone; its utility tantalizingly out of reach)

There’s probably more, but that’s all for now. If I think of/notice others, I’ll add!

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:57 pm

Yeah, that’s all pretty straightforward stuff I would agree with. You can subscribe to topics here, the little wrench icon at the top of a topic has this feature but I don’t think you can be notified of direct replies to your posts with this version of phpBB.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:19 pm

Totally, the thing I like is when I get subscribed automatically by replying—but with a forum notification only (not an email)

I’ll never go to the trouble to click a few things and subscribe on purpose, for whatever reason