Like button

For troubles with forum features or general questions regarding site moderation/administration.
guitalias
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Like button

Post by guitalias » Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:52 pm

I suggest a like button for posts would be a good feature for the forum. For when you appreciate a post but don't want to quote or reply, just show support.

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Like button

Post by DeathJag » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:34 pm

Oh gawd please no. We’ve already had this discussion. No offense but it’s a terrible idea. If you want to support a post, just quote it and say “I like this” like a human being. A like button would kill so much of the “old school people-to-people forum” vibe here, and replace it with a “bored kids posting stupid crap trying to get likes” one.

parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by parry » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:01 pm

DeathJag wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:34 pm
Oh gawd please no. We’ve already had this discussion. No offense but it’s a terrible idea. If you want to support a post, just quote it and say “I like this” like a human being. A like button would kill so much of the “old school people-to-people forum” vibe here, and replace it with a “bored kids posting stupid crap trying to get likes” one.
I like this.
Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by parry » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:01 pm

guitalias wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:52 pm
I suggest a like button for posts would be a good feature for the forum. For when you appreciate a post but don't want to quote or reply, just show support.
I do not like this.

parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by parry » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:02 pm

see? :)

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:09 pm

DeathJag wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:34 pm
100 times this, very well said.

There are plenty of other internet cesspits (Faecebook / Twatter / Reddit) where you can get your 'Like button' dopamine hit.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:26 pm

For serious, I've eliminated all like-based media from my life and would hate to have to cut out OSG as well.

If you agree or disagree with me, say so and let's chat further.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

soggy mittens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by soggy mittens » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:29 pm

OR make it a feature that you have to manually turn on in your profile settings so those that want it can have it and those with a stick up their butt don't have to see or know about it and not have to shake their fist at it. Ya know.. as a way to try to make more people happy instead of arrogantly pissing on someone else's suggestion because you don't like the thing and suggesting it is for some dopamine self-indulgence when it is more about showing appreciation to others.
If OSG has tort me anything...

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:38 pm

soggy mittens wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:29 pm
OR make it a feature that you have to manually turn on in your profile settings so those that want it can have it and those with a stick up their butt don't have to see or know about it and not have to shake their fist at it. Ya know.. as a way to try to make more people happy instead of arrogantly pissing on someone else's suggestion because you don't like the thing and suggesting it is for some dopamine self-indulgence when it is more about showing appreciation to others.
Maybe you and the OP could do some reading of the established research into the negative effects of this type of feedback loop on the brain and let us know.

If you think my comment amounts to 'arrogance' that's your problem. HTH. :-*
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:47 pm

I see Like buttons being used judiciously on other guitar-related web forums. As a sign of agreement, or appreciation. I've said before I think one would be a useful addition here. Not having one almost seems to me as like saying "you can't be trusted not to misuse it". Thankfully we're not like Facebook guitar groups where the signal-to-noise ratio is so low that you're sometimes more likely to get the wrong or a snide answer to a question than the right one. While it's not really a big deal, a Like button "trial" would tell us if it would work here.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

guitalias
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by guitalias » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:30 am

I also frequent the squier talk forum. Sometimes I comment, sometimes I like & comment. Sometimes I just like, seems to stop the threads getting unnecessary comments if people just want to indicate they agree with something that has already been said.
But I'm unlikely to get concerned either way, was just a suggestion I didn't know had been made before.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:06 am

Or, you know, just leave it as-is? The forum has worked excellently for well over a decade without the need for this sort of thing.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

LVC
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by LVC » Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:17 am

soggy mittens wrote:
when it is more about showing appreciation to others.
If it is really about showing appreciation, then isn't actually thinking up and typing a compliment relevant to the original subject matter a much more meaningful way to do so than clicking a generic button? Or is that too much effort, and the 30 seconds or so it takes considered a waste of time?

The purpose of "like" buttons and other similar devices inherent to web 2.0 has never been to offer a means to express an opinion (as that existed before), but to induce and measure engagement for the benefit of the platform as a business, not the users.

guitalias wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:30 am
Sometimes I just like, seems to stop the threads getting unnecessary comments if people just want to indicate they agree with something that has already been said.
Interestingly, the first rule of OSG is
Jay wrote: 1. If you don't have anything useful to add, don't say anything.
...and I think that rule is pretty well respected here. One of the reasons OSG is my favorite guitar forum — and the only one I'm still active on — is that it's very informative. Of course, there's the occasional "+1" style post (I've been guilty of that myself every now and then), but ont the whole when people give their opinion it's usually in a constructive manner that brings something to the topic.

As a matter of fact, I've seen several OSG members lament that the forums aren't as active as they were, and the volume of new posts daily seems lower than a few years ago indeed. I dont' think it would encourage members to post more if they had the option to click a "like" button instead.
Create art, not content

soggy mittens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by soggy mittens » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:23 pm

LVC wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:17 am
soggy mittens wrote:
when it is more about showing appreciation to others.
If it is really about showing appreciation, then isn't actually thinking up and typing a compliment relevant to the original subject matter a much more meaningful way to do so than clicking a generic button? Or is that too much effort, and the 30 seconds or so it takes considered a waste of time?

The purpose of "like" buttons and other similar devices inherent to web 2.0 has never been to offer a means to express an opinion (as that existed before), but to induce and measure engagement for the benefit of the platform as a business, not the users.
Well I don't know what you want me to say as it is clear to me that you have already made up your mind and cemented your position on this topic with little to no room for further information from the other side of the table and more like you want to remove any opinions I currently hold about where you think I am coming from.

To be clear I am not 100% for or against, my view is an attempt to please as many people as possible, those that want it can opt into it and those that are against it won't even see it at all, so how can that be a bad thing to you? Or do you just want to not let people to have the thing that makes them happy because it doesn't also make you happy? hhmmm. As far as trying to come at this from a point of view that "like" buttons have a certain function or affect on people is completely subjective, it is up to the individual that uses them and that isn't really up for you or anyone to decide, if they opt in that is their responsibility and not really something you can control and if anything a little weird that you'd want to. Basically if someone is susceptible to those sorts of things then they are going to have it happen somewhere somehow. I mean how many people do you see with their faces buried in their phones when out in public addicted to that dopamine notification bell etc. I don't have internet on my phone or deal with those sorts of thing as I am all too conscious of it, to me a like button is much more innocuous compared to what else is out there but if that is the life style they prefer then who is anyone to judge it, that is their choice and their deal. If it helps them stay engaged with the site then that is a good thing. If you're concerned about the level or amount someone responses to someone and thinking a like button will hinder that then that is just a straight up judgement no? They are either going to write a reply out or nothing, in my understanding a "like" is much closer to a nothing, it is like saying "hey your post made me smile and I would just like to express that in a quick concise way". And again for those that don't opt into it you wouldn't even know they liked any of your posts, separate world. Not to go too meta but isn't this something that the world truly needs right now? Acceptance of coexistence, no one point of view is better than the other, just different and they can be in harmony from one small selfless act of acceptance.

Either way I'm not going to lose sleep over this, I don't think it will happen but it nice to still try to offer an option that pleases as many people as possible even if some will still find a way to shit on it.
If OSG has tort me anything...

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:10 pm

+1
The artist formerly known as mbene085.