62 Bass VI...Finally!

Bringing your older offset back to life.
DB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: 62 Bass VI...my oh my... [Update}

Post by DB » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:01 pm

Bulrich, great work so far!  You've got a lot of stamina and patience.  The chrome and pickup surrounds came out really nice.  Amazing what someone did to that headstock - it will be great to see it whole again.

DB
IV, V, VI, XII...

haesslich
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by haesslich » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:39 am

that's a joke, right?
the pickups look like new ones!

you are not interested in coming over and polishing a few things here? :-)

tsalwel
Expat
Expat

Post by tsalwel » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:50 am

haesslich wrote: that's a joke, right?
the pickups look like new ones!

you are not interested in coming over and polishing a few things here? :-)
;D ;D
    d
music ALLways
music  IS my motor

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:10 am

bulrich wrote: I could file them as that really is the only difference. I'm looking mostly to return the bass as close to original.
Wow...that really isn't the only difference, and I certainly wouldn't go filing down some vintage klusons! You'll have some serious problems..I'll post some more pictures in a bit so hopefully It clears it up once an for all.  :)

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:17 am

Ok here are the pics...the shaft profile between a standard kluson and a VI kluson are totally different..it becomes quite clear once you see the photos and also pretty clear why you can't file a standard kluson to match it. Be interested to see the profiles of the US custom and the japanese re-issue VI Klusons..

VI
Standard
Last edited by eggwheat on Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

tsalwel
Expat
Expat

Post by tsalwel » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:03 am

yes !

yes yes......

orange yellow red.........

:)
  d
Last edited by tsalwel on Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
music ALLways
music  IS my motor

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:15 am

eggwheat,  great pics ...  I went and had a look at my bass VI and although it is strung, the tuners certainly seem to match the first pic.

So this then leads to the following questions:

1.  what tuners are on the CS reissue bass VIs ?  Can someone who owns a CS bass VI take a similar style pic of the tuners Fender CS have used...
2.  For those who have made (USCG) bass VI previously  (Brian, Alfred etc) have you just used normal reissue (guitar)  Klusons ?
3.  If the CS has used a special Bass VI tuner style Kluson, does anyone have any leads on where to purchase these ?

I just took out the low E string from my spare pack of Labelle Flats and although the main part of the string will not fit in a standard guitar Kluson, the cloth taped thinner section (which is all that gets wound on the tuner on my vintage bass VI) just fits in the tuner gap  ... I then summise that the remaining strings should be OK.  So maybe standard guitar Reissue Klusons might just work... and given at this stage for my USCG Bass VI that I am working on, that is all that is available, then  ... as they say ... that is all that there is available...
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:31 am

haesslich wrote: you are not interested in coming over and polishing a few things here? :-)
I think he's straight. That doesn't mean he's not interested though. Good luck!

bulrich
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bulrich » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:22 am

;D Yes polishing is kept

DB,
Thanks for the kind words. I'm on a bit of a mission to get the instrument up and running. Combine that with a healthy dose of OCD and you've got some polished chrome. I did notice that the chroming on those bridge pups is very durable.

Eggwhe,
Thanks for those clarifications. I used to know all this stuff but since I parted with my 63 VI, things get foggy. I wonder if the tuner holes in the headstock are different to accommodate the larger tuners? Mine appear to be about 3/8" across. Is this the same as strats/jags/teles?

Sook,
I used Fender Kluson repros on my USACG VI. They would great. Never had a problem but I'm only using the Fender string set.
I did email Fender about the CS tuners (and Jaguar Baritone tuners) for part numbers. Because the CS VI is a done by the custom shop it makes getting in touch with them near impossible.

Would really be helpful is someone could send along some measurements of their headstock or a tracing. What is the measurement of the thickness of the headstock? (i.e. same vantage point as Eggs pic).
http://www.notifbutwhen.com/2/Offset-Basement.JPG

tsalwel
Expat
Expat

Post by tsalwel » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:38 am

the measurement of the thickness of the headstock : 14 mm

some measurements of their headstock or a tracing  :-[

start measuring that thing  ???

tracing can be done but i dont have a scanner..... mm

???
  d
music ALLways
music  IS my motor

bulrich
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bulrich » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:43 am

Thanks Tsalwel. So a bit over half an inch? I thought they were thicker.

As for a tracing, you could always snail mail it! or fax. ;D

tsalwel
Expat
Expat

Post by tsalwel » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:21 am

bulrich wrote: Thanks Tsalwel. So a bit over half an inch? I thought they were thicker.

As for a tracing, you could always snail mail it! or fax. ;D
So a bit over half an inch  : indeed

yes i can do that..
pm me a fax n° and i do the tracing

its a 63 but with a 62 neck  Image

:)
  d
music ALLways
music  IS my motor

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:33 am

bulrich wrote: Eggwhe,
Thanks for those clarifications. I used to know all this stuff but since I parted with my 63 VI, things get foggy. I wonder if the tuner holes in the headstock are different to accommodate the larger tuners? Mine appear to be about 3/8" across. Is this the same as strats/jags/teles?
No problem...if i can save some vintage kluson from the file it's been worth it  :D

The shafts are exactly the same diameter and height, the differences are all in the profiling..I wonder if someone could repro just the shaft then fit that to a normal kluson?
sookwinder wrote: eggwheat,  great pics ...  I went and had a look at my bass VI and although it is strung, the tuners certainly seem to match the first pic.

So this then leads to the following questions:

1.  what tuners are on the CS reissue bass VIs ?  Can someone who owns a CS bass VI take a similar style pic of the tuners Fender CS have used...
2.  For those who have made (USCG) bass VI previously  (Brian, Alfred etc) have you just used normal reissue (guitar)  Klusons ?
3.  If the CS has used a special Bass VI tuner style Kluson, does anyone have any leads on where to purchase these ?

I just took out the low E string from my spare pack of Labelle Flats and although the main part of the string will not fit in a standard guitar Kluson, the cloth taped thinner section (which is all that gets wound on the tuner on my vintage bass VI) just fits in the tuner gap  ... I then summise that the remaining strings should be OK.  So maybe standard guitar Reissue Klusons might just work... and given at this stage for my USCG Bass VI that I am working on, that is all that is available, then  ... as they say ... that is all that there is available...
Yeh i'd certainly like to know this and also what was on the Japanese re-issue..

bulrich
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bulrich » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:16 pm

Ugh. I actually don't have a fax.
May be able to get access to one. I'll let you know. thanks. In the meantime if anyone else can pdf a tracing, i'll be forever indebted.

Egg, copying the tuner shaft may be an interesting option. Perhaps that dude in France?

Wondering if I can't just get a USACG headstock from Tommy and shape/fit to the 62.

jetset
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jetset » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:34 pm

bulrich wrote: Ugh. I actually don't have a fax.
May be able to get access to one. I'll let you know. thanks. In the meantime if anyone else can pdf a tracing, i'll be forever indebted.

Egg, copying the tuner shaft may be an interesting option. Perhaps that dude in France?

Wondering if I can't just get a USACG headstock from Tommy and shape/fit to the 62.
Cool pic.  It would be a hell of a surgical procedure, but I'd think you could build it back to size with very carefully selected and shaped maple.  And then plane it down a mm, and do a maple veneer over everything, front and rear.  If you go with a matching headstock color, you should be looking good.
-J
I can't hear the forest for all the falling trees.