VOX Ultrasonic XII - Restoration

Bringing your older offset back to life.
blackradar
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: VOX Ultrasonic XII - Restoration

Post by blackradar » Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:27 am

Yeah, still not able tp post any images. :fp: :fp:

I contacted the admin before but never got a reply...
Any ideas how could I get this sorted or who could I reach to?

Thanks!

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:17 pm

blackradar wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:27 am
Here you go...

blackradar wrote:
Any ideas how could I get this sorted or who could I reach to?

Thanks!
Maybe just sign up to https://imgur.com and use the BBcode provided when you upload an image.
It's very straightforward & I'm happy to talk you through it, if you get stuck :)

Here's what mine looked like, before I removed the whole Palm Wah mechanism...

At first glance it looks like yours is missing the internal components of the Wah (the part mounted on that metal strip in my last photo). It's a bit of a headache jumping back & forth from your picture to mine but I've a feeling your modules are arranged differently too.

You do see the 1348 and 1351 serial numbers though, suggesting there's plenty of similarity. Still lots of unanswered questions though.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

blackradar
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by blackradar » Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:32 pm

Twang Deluxe wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:56 pm
Vox was so innovative in the 60s
In fact they were so innovative, they actually left innovation behind and went into the next level…

They were also extremely creative, adventurous and fun…

At that time the guitar range in particular it was in my opinion product of an insane mind altered by psychotropic drugs from outter galaxies to say the least.

Seriously, it takes some real balls to actually, think, design, sign off create and finally produce such a line of ideas in the shape of cool guitars. To the point that they reached their highest peak of creativity in the industry decades ago and not a si gle brand including themselves have come close to that state of mind.

Very 60s on the other hand…

blackradar
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by blackradar » Thu Jul 13, 2023 1:34 pm

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:17 pm
blackradar wrote:
Here you go...

Hey, thanks for posting your images.

I've tried to sign up on imgur and I'm getting this message:
"Email sign-up is not possible in your region. Register using a third-party service"

Can't believe the rounds it's taking to post some photos in here.

Here are a few more if interested.

I can see the serial numbers match yours, at least 1348 and 1351, can't see the other ones...
Also, do you know why the plastic lid covering the effects in the back of the guitar has that hole right on top of that part of the wah module? Is it to allow adjusting something?

Overall, the effects seem to be legit. At least at first sight, I don't know much about electronics so I can only compare visually.
That missing part from the wah is the only thing that confuses me a bit. Specially cause I've fixed it and it's working now... without whatever is missing there.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:39 pm

Sorry about the pictures problems. No idea what the Imgur.com problem is. I'm happy to post any image you have problems with though (although I know it's a bit of a faff). I find you guitar pretty fascinating as I'm almost certain it an earlier incarnation (or prototype).

So, in this last picture I added for you...

..you can see that flat rectangular brown unit. That's the Wah mechanism. Does your Palm Wah work? If I remember correctly, there's a thick, shaped length of wire that connects the bottom of thee Palm Wah mounting to the "module", effectively sliding the metal bit stick out back & forth (creating the Wah sweep)...if that makes sense. Yours id just mounted differently.

That hole looks to be allowing easy access to the top of the coil. I think they're a cross-head screw that is use to calibrate the unit. My memory of the finer details is pretty patchy now as I only watched the overhaul of my Ultrasonic. Someone else was at hand with the knowledge & expertise to complete the job.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:47 pm

The bit circled in red. That's the key part that connects the external part to the internal part of the unit.

blackradar
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by blackradar » Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:58 am

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:47 pm

The bit circled in red. That's the key part that connects the external part to the internal part of the unit.
If you look at the first image you posted for me (thanks again), you can see that part, It's the same part, isn't it? It's not showing very clearly on that image but it's there, the metal strip part connected to the lever outside that you pull to activate the mechanism, right? It's there.

Maybe these images show it a bit better...