Help me decide what to do with this 63

Bringing your older offset back to life.
Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Help me decide what to do with this 63

Post by Embenny » Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:44 pm

Originality aside, I think that is a good-looking finish. If it's a refinish, it's a very competent one from a quality perspective, just not from a "vintage accuracy" perspective.

Also, knowing it was my dad who had it refinished would make me want to keep it as-is, but that's my feelings a out my father and not your feelings about yours, so do whatever feels right to you.

But if you're going to refinish, do the guitar justice and have it done professionally. It's a fraction of the value of the guitar but will affect how it looks and feels to you for many years.

With the electronics, my approach to vintage guitars with "some" changes (i.e. I'm not losing value by undoing original solder joints on a time capsule vintage harness) is to simply disconnect the ground points that attach it to the shielding plates and bridge, and store them in their current state. That way, if I ever feel the need to extract maximum value from it someday, or restore it to as close to original as possible, I can. I then have the freedom to put in high quality modern components that will function without giving me grief, including my preferred noiseless Kinman pickups.

The short answer is that it is a physical object that you own, so you can do literally whatever you want. The above are just suggestions based on my past experiences and lessons learned (like "your first DIY will look bad no matter what").
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

MustangDaddy1966
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by MustangDaddy1966 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:11 pm

Plus, sunbursts are the coolest finish!

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:42 am

Unfortunately it looks like T70 hasn't posted since last Halloween and hasn't logged in since March... Between this beauty and the other thread about rescuing his dad's collection I'm surprised he doesn't spend more time cavorting with us OSGers.