73/74 Jaguar restoration project with a question

Bringing your older offset back to life.
kidblast
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

73/74 Jaguar restoration project with a question

Post by kidblast » Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:57 am

Hey all, first post.

I've recently come upon a 73/74 Jaguar. Starting the restoration process.

here's how it arrived.

unfortunate situation with that neck, but I'm going to hang on to it, maybe there's a way to restore it.

I have one question for now, if anyone knows.. there's a round metal disc under the bridge, the only speculation here is possibly for a damper?

thanks in advance, I'm probably going to have more questions!

/Ray

FrankRay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: 73/74 Jaguar restoration project with a question

Post by FrankRay » Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:19 am

HI Ray
The disc is for a mute, fitted as standard on every Fender Jaguar from 62 to 75, and still fitted on most American models today. It was almost invariably removed upon purchase because they send the guitar out of tune.
The mute has a screw which fits inside the hole, and the disc inside the hole is sprung forcing the mute to either be on or off, basically.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:24 am

"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

kidblast
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by kidblast » Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:29 am

Hi Frank and Timtam

Thanks for clearing that up. I had referred to that as possibly a damper, but mute would make sense.

Cheers
/Ray

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:36 pm

i'm curious what the hell is going on with that fretboard? i feel like will would have some greater insight than i can give BUT, i think you might only 2 options for it.

1. replace the rosewood but try to keep as much of the binding and the blocks intact.

2. remove the blocks, fill in the cracks with rosewood sawdust mixed with some kind of wood epoxy then re-glue the blocks.

my big fear is what caused those cracks. they seem to be mostly down the center of the fretboard around the areas where the trussrod would exert a lot of force...... someone correct me if i'm wrong here.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

powerdroid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by powerdroid » Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:24 pm

To me the cracks look like they run with the grain, maybe just a result of severe dryness? If the fretboard feels like it's still solid and properly attached, just filling the cracks with sawdust+glue should do the trick? And scraped/sanded level. And then a proper oiling!

But yeah, hard to tell by just looking a picture, and not being an expert either! Cool project though, good luck!

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ludobag1 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:49 pm

Nice project ,but the fretboard scare me a lot first time i see this
If you can take pics of cracks and block who seems unglued too

If it is only drying to much it could be solve easy ,but if is it truss rod crack need much work ,pull off the fret , binding ,unglue the fret board without broke it (slabboard or venners ? )reglue it or more bad need a new one

kidblast
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by kidblast » Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:07 pm

so from what I can gather the picker that had this in his possession left it outside.
in new hampshire
in the winter,,,
yea......... what the heck was he thinking.

not sure if the neck was already like that, but the damage is done

I hydrated the rosewood, and have applied a few treatments, not much progress there.

I'd be happy to work with anyone who could restore it as I'm sure there is some one out there that can.

I've got the body about 80 % down to the wood. I may work with an autobody shop that my son is good friends with the owner.
he thinks we could use the spray booth and they may even work with me to do the refinish. That could be aces for getting the body restored.

color choice atm is sea foam green, or Olympic white

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:15 am

kidblast wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:07 pm
so from what I can gather the picker that had this in his possession left it outside.
in new hampshire
in the winter,,,
yea......... what the heck was he thinking.

not sure if the neck was already like that, but the damage is done

I hydrated the rosewood, and have applied a few treatments, not much progress there.

I'd be happy to work with anyone who could restore it as I'm sure there is some one out there that can.

I've got the body about 80 % down to the wood. I may work with an autobody shop that my son is good friends with the owner.
he thinks we could use the spray booth and they may even work with me to do the refinish. That could be aces for getting the body restored.

one moment. i'll summon pat (by summon him, i mean send him a message on facebook) he had a neck restored a while ago.

also, this is going to sound weird but i'd keep the natural look of the body. but if you are going oly white, please match the headstock.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

kidblast
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by kidblast » Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:03 am

ok cool, maybe there's a way..

thx in Advance!

Sweetfinger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sweetfinger » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:47 pm

kidblast wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:07 pm

Um... looks like it was Olympic White, and you removed it?

kidblast
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by kidblast » Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:16 am

no idea what it was originally,

the picture at the top of the thread is how it came to me about 2 weeks ago.