Univox Hi-Flier Phase 2 tremolo arm broken in trem unit.

Bringing your older offset back to life.
WillyP
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Univox Hi-Flier Phase 2 tremolo arm broken in trem unit.

Post by WillyP » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:57 am

Hello, I just purchased an early Univox Hi-Flier Phase 2 with the tremolo arm broken off in trem unit. It looks like its been in there for a long time. I was able to buy a new tremolo arm, but I have to get that old piece out.

2 questio0ns:

1. Does anyone know where I can buy a new socket or part the tremolo arm screws into? I suppose, where can I buy tremolo parts for my Hi-Flier?

Or...

2. Does anyone have any tips on how I can remove this broken off thread from inside the tremolo arm reciprocal or socket? I'd rather just replace this part because it looks like its been in there for such a long time, but that might not be an option...

Thank you.

ohm-men
Expat
Expat

Re: Univox Hi-Flier Phase 2 tremolo arm broken in trem unit.

Post by ohm-men » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:18 am

It's possible to remove the broken piece from the trem collet (if you have some acces to the right tools)

1 - drill a hole in the middle of the broken piece of the trem bar (preferebly with a drill press)
2 - cut some counter/clockwise thread in the broken trem bar piece.
3 - screw in the broken of trem bar piece a screw that fits the thread you cut and carefully unscrew the broken piece out of the trem collet.

This is how broken of strat trem arm get removed. But you'll need the right tools for it.
It's the same "operation/process" to remove a broken off screw from a guitar body

I "think" there are kits for this, I think the guitar parts online shops sell these. But I'm sure more educated formites here can put you in the right direction.

WillyP
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Univox Hi-Flier Phase 2 tremolo arm broken in trem unit.

Post by WillyP » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:51 am

In case anyone searches for this answer in the future, this is the way to do it...

if you take the trem unit apart, you can access the back of the channel that the tremolo arm screws into. You can see the bottom of the broken tremolo arm from the bottom. With some WD-40 and a small screwdriver it can be unscrewed from the back, and pushed out the front. Be patient, work smart, and don't try to force it.

Unless its been stuck in there for many, many years, and it is rusted and/or corroded, it shouldn't be too difficult.