'77 Telecaster restoration project

Bringing your older offset back to life.
Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: '77 Telecaster restoration project

Post by Veitchy » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:30 pm

Sweetfinger wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:44 pm
How are you going to deal with the round heel on the Deluxe neck vs. the flat heel of the body and pickguard?
A mate had a 70s/deluxe headstock on a 50's style body. He used to cram joints into the gap...

raphaël
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by raphaël » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:22 am

Sweetfinger wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:44 pm
How are you going to deal with the round heel on the Deluxe neck vs. the flat heel of the body and pickguard?
Do you mean the gap ?
If so, my answer is : so be it :P
I was already ok about that with the coronado neck i wanted to put in that square neck pocket in the first place, so it doesn't really matter.
But i have to confess that I didn't know tele deluxe necks were rounded heeled :blush: :whistle:
That they basically were strat necks...But as i said, it doesn't matter, as I was already prepared.

bfulgham
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by bfulgham » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:52 pm

raphaël wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:31 am
I originally wanted a 60s Coronado neck, but as none showed up I couldn't wait anymore. But patience is a vertue and I should have wait because some finally came up for sale.
Where did you find them? I’m looking for a neck to reattach to a ‘67 Coronado! Can’t find one anywhere. 😢

raphaël
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by raphaël » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:54 am

SUCCESS !!!!!!!

Not a victory yet, but a success indeed : my natural Tele body is in a good way to have its black binding.
I've spent countless HOURS to chip the glittery black coat off, then I've spent COUNTLESS hours to sand what was remaining down, then I've spent COUNTLESS hours to shape it with a precision scalpel, sanded it down again, then reshape, then more sanding :fp: :wtf:
At several points during this year of sanding ( No, I didn't do it all this time) I've almost gave up, saying to myself there might be a big no point on doing this at all because I wasn't sure my idea would actually work in the end.
But it did, and I'm beyond happiness.
It's not done at all, just the front of the body, and an area on the side, just to see how good it would look when done.

Pics now !!
But keep in mind it's still a work in progress, not that neat, but in a good way :

FROM HERE :

TO HERE :

AND THEN HERE :w00t: :w00t: !!!!! :

Cool huh?

Now I have to finish this work. But the goal makes it painless.
And I have all the parts to get it done.
Can't wait !

A question :
I've never polyshed a guitar, how do I do it?

And my special pickguard project might actually not work, too cost prohibitive...will see. I'll explain later what I have in mind, and what is my backup idea. Which is actually not so bad.

Cheers !!