Electric XII project

Bringing your older offset back to life.
Jay
Admin
Admin

Re: Black XII

Post by Jay » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:33 pm

That guard really does look a lot like mine.  I thought I was the only one to get that erm...  lucky?  Haha...

Seriously though, this should be a great project.  It's gonna look terrific once it's finished.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:39 pm

great to hear it got there in the end! :)

I gotta say the fact that person sprayed on the electronics baffles me!  ???
Resident Spartan.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:02 pm

zhivago wrote: I gotta say the fact that person sprayed on the electronics baffles me!  ???
Yeah, me too. I mean, what the hell. I don't understand how you even could  paint the body in such a way that you could paint over the underside of the control plate. Other than that and the replaced pickguard and strap button screws which aren't a big deal by any means, it looks nice and complete. I can't wait to see it come back to life.

Justin
This isn’t some kind of metaphor
Goddamn this is real

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:32 pm

someone actually did the same thing to a much lesser extent on my previous JM, they sprayed almost the same shade of blue all over the inside... got all of the shielding near the back, the input jack, and even the back of the bridge pickup. I assume the electronics work, at least that's what the shop said.. I stupidly started taking it apart before plugging it in. I was going to just take the neck off, lift the guard off, snap a few pics and put it back together but I got carried away and just dismantled it.

the screws aren't a big problem.. I have an extra pack of pickguard screws and I doubt the ones for the strap buttons will be difficult to find. you probably can't tell in the pics but it has the eight hole spacer, I don't know what difference it'll make over the six hole but it's there.

yeah the pickguard is strange.. I don't quite know how I feel about it yet but I'm leaning toward  :-X

wanna trade Jay?  :D

honestly though it'll do.. I'll probably try and clean it up a little and live with it, for now

pullover
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pullover » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:07 pm

Maybe he tried painting it without disconnecting the electronics?
Or maybe he was inspired by the RMC Wizard Wah! Image
Why should we buy postage stamps? We can make our own.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:37 pm

pullover wrote: Maybe he tried painting it without disconnecting the electronics?
Or maybe he was inspired by the RMC Wizard Wah! Image
Jesus. That looks worse than the infamous "Klon goo". Not that you see the inside very often though.

Justin
This isn’t some kind of metaphor
Goddamn this is real

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:43 am

damn!  :o

that seems a little unnecessary

well I was able to chip off a good deal of the paint from the pots, cap, and switch last night.. it worked pretty well and the paint scrapes off easily, anyone know of something I could use to cleanly wipe the paint off without damaging the parts? doesn't seem like it'd take much to dissolve this stuff, it's really thin and brittle

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:53 am

Excellent .. it looks a little rough, but it's salvageable no problem .. I suppose you should just feel grateful that they didn't varnish the fretboard or spray red acrylic over the pup coils or knobs or bridge, or something equally as dodgy.

My '61 had traces of the same red spray paint on the neck and on the trem block .. which is real strange since they came via ebay from different coasts of the US. Another one of those tasteful 70s trends I guess.

What's the story with the guard? Is it a repro or an original guard with varnish sprayed over it? I'm sorry to say that it looks like a giant blood clot.

:o
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:27 am

it does!

I can't explain what's going on with it.. I have no idea, there's so much paint on the bottom too. It's like someone painted a room and left it upside down on the floor, no clue why it's this way. I was going to try some paint thinner but I'm worried it'll damage the guard, maybe some Finesse It will work? if there's anything to cut through, maybe it's just the guard  ???

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:53 am

Well .. I would think varnish would be obviously feel a different hardness from the guard itself?

Maybe try polishing compound; after a while of giving it a good polish you might get through whatever it is, down to a layer of real pickguard .. or maybe not and it actually looks like that which would be weird.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:56 pm

it feels pretty much the same as the guard on my JM and the more I look at it the more I think it's just how the pickguard is. I scraped a tiny bit of it and a little yellow came off of the white edge which could be normal like the yellowed binding that was chipped off of my JM, I went over a small area of the red and nothing changed as I went into it so I think this is just how the guard is. It's a deep enough red that it should still look quite good over black.. even without the yellow bits. I'll still try to buff it out a little and see what happens..

I'm not very good with the codes.. can anyone tell me if the neck plate and pots match up correctly to the heel code?

heel: 12JUN66B
neck plate: 170931
pots both read.. 015479 1MEG AUD 304-6617

dinosaur
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dinosaur » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:07 am

Yeah, that all checks out to 1966!

You know I have a 62 JM body and parts that I am going to restore that has a similar red paint all over the shields and cavities, luckily the electronics were spared.  It really must have been a popular color, though I have never really seen it.

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:20 am

dinosaur wrote: It really must have been a popular color, though I have never really seen it.
Rule number one of the red paint in the cavities club. We do not talk about the red paint in the cavities club.
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man's a freak.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:23 am

Orang Goreng wrote:
dinosaur wrote: It really must have been a popular color, though I have never really seen it.
Rule number one of the red paint in the cavities club. We do not talk about the red paint in the cavities club.
Rule number two of the red paint in the cavities club. We do not talk about the red paint in the cavities club.

8)
Resident Spartan.

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:14 am

what about blue paint in the cavities club? can we talk about blue paint in the cavities?  ???

nice project dinosaur and thanks for the help.. now should both pots on a XII be audio?