Guitar Refin in London

Bringing your older offset back to life.
User avatar
PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 24479
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:46 am
Location: Leipzig
Contact:

Re: Guitar Refin in London

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:10 am

Paul-T wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:48 pm
Jo Dobson at Joseph Kaye guitars. I think he's the foremost vintage restorer in the city. He's done work on my 52 Tele and I'm getting him to restore the wiring on my 63 JM.

https://www.josephkayeguitars.com/
I wonder, is this the same Joe who shared a workshop for a while with Philippe Dubreuille on Denmark Street?

They both had a hand in restoring my '59 Jazzmaster.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

User avatar
blackradar
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:10 pm
Location: London

Re: Guitar Refin in London

Post by blackradar » Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:34 am

blackradar wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:42 am
Paul-T wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:48 pm
Jo Dobson at Joseph Kaye guitars. I think he's the foremost vintage restorer in the city. He's done work on my 52 Tele and I'm getting him to restore the wiring on my 63 JM.

https://www.josephkayeguitars.com/
Hey, thanks very much for the link.
Just emailed him.
:)
Thanks for the contact.
I emailed this person more than 3 weeks ago and no reply.... at all.
People must have so many clients don't even bother to be polite and reply...
Last edited by blackradar on Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
blackradar
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:10 pm
Location: London

Re: Guitar Refin in London

Post by blackradar » Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:39 am

Highnumbers wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:00 am
If you are looking for an aged finish option, I can highly recommend Mike Bowes at MB Guitars.

He's in southeastern Kent (in Deal) https://www.mbguitars.co.uk/

Mike recently restored my '64 Jazzmaster and I shipped it to him from Los Angeles, which is a testament to the quality of his work. Very accurate finish aging, quick turnaround times (a few months or less) and very fair prices.

Well worth venturing outside of London a bit, I don't know of anybody in the city that could be recommended.
Thanks for the contact... but same here... no reply... in more than 3 weeks.

Not even getting a reply. Not sure how to take this. Lack of interest? Everybody's busy and have so many customers and jobs queuing and not even time to email back? Is that rude? Now I'm intrigued.

Well, I guess if I can't find anybody I'll have to figure out a way of doing it myself. Can't see any other way of getting this done otherwise.

User avatar
Highnumbers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 652
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:21 am
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Guitar Refin in London

Post by Highnumbers » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:32 am

blackradar wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:39 am
Highnumbers wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:00 am
If you are looking for an aged finish option, I can highly recommend Mike Bowes at MB Guitars.

He's in southeastern Kent (in Deal) https://www.mbguitars.co.uk/

Mike recently restored my '64 Jazzmaster and I shipped it to him from Los Angeles, which is a testament to the quality of his work. Very accurate finish aging, quick turnaround times (a few months or less) and very fair prices.

Well worth venturing outside of London a bit, I don't know of anybody in the city that could be recommended.
Thanks for the contact... but same here... no reply... in more than 3 weeks.

Not even getting a reply. Not sure how to take this. Lack of interest? Everybody's busy and have so many customers and jobs queuing and not even time to email back? Is that rude? Now I'm intrigued.

Well, I guess if I can't find anybody I'll have to figure out a way of doing it myself. Can't see any other way of getting this done otherwise.
I would say with near 100% certainty that Mike is not getting your emails. Either they’re getting stuck in a spam filter or something, he’s not the type to ignore a potential client, I assure you. Also try sending a DM on Instagram.

Or DM me with your email address and phone number and I’ll relay that to Mike.

If multiple people are not responding to your emails, it could be your email provider not getting through.

User avatar
blackradar
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:10 pm
Location: London

Re: Guitar Refin in London

Post by blackradar » Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:31 am

Highnumbers wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:32 am
blackradar wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:39 am
Highnumbers wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:00 am
If you are looking for an aged finish option, I can highly recommend Mike Bowes at MB Guitars.

He's in southeastern Kent (in Deal) https://www.mbguitars.co.uk/

Mike recently restored my '64 Jazzmaster and I shipped it to him from Los Angeles, which is a testament to the quality of his work. Very accurate finish aging, quick turnaround times (a few months or less) and very fair prices.

Well worth venturing outside of London a bit, I don't know of anybody in the city that could be recommended.
Thanks for the contact... but same here... no reply... in more than 3 weeks.

Not even getting a reply. Not sure how to take this. Lack of interest? Everybody's busy and have so many customers and jobs queuing and not even time to email back? Is that rude? Now I'm intrigued.

Well, I guess if I can't find anybody I'll have to figure out a way of doing it myself. Can't see any other way of getting this done otherwise.
I would say with near 100% certainty that Mike is not getting your emails. Either they’re getting stuck in a spam filter or something, he’s not the type to ignore a potential client, I assure you. Also try sending a DM on Instagram.

Or DM me with your email address and phone number and I’ll relay that to Mike.

If multiple people are not responding to your emails, it could be your email provider not getting through.
Hey man, thanks very much for your reply.
Might have been stuck in a spam filter cause every other non guitar related emails I've been sending for years seem to be reaching correctly and people replying. Maybe the spam hypothesis.

I'll DM you my email and details now. Thanks very much!

User avatar
Paul-T
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 225
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:41 am
Location: London

Re: Guitar Refin in London

Post by Paul-T » Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:28 am

blackradar wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:34 am
blackradar wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:42 am
Paul-T wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:48 pm
Jo Dobson at Joseph Kaye guitars. I think he's the foremost vintage restorer in the city. He's done work on my 52 Tele and I'm getting him to restore the wiring on my 63 JM.

https://www.josephkayeguitars.com/
Hey, thanks very much for the link.
Just emailed him.
:)
Thanks for the contact.
I emailed this person more than 3 weeks ago and no reply.... at all.
People must have so many clients don't even bother to be polite and reply...
Sorry about this - maybe his website is like mine, deluged with spam

If you'd like to PM me with your note and your email, I'll Facebook msj him?

Paul
"classic marked down to 20 pence bargain bin fodder'

User avatar
TagoMago
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:46 pm
Location: France, mais oui, etc...

Re: Guitar Refin in London

Post by TagoMago » Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:12 am

Another recommendation for Joe at www.joesephkayeguitars.com here.

He did an oly white nitro refin on a frankly knackered '68 Tele for me and aged it beautifully. And that was almost 20 years ago, so I'd imagine he'll have seriously upped his (already strong) game by now.

User avatar
PJazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 5166
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:59 am
Location: Bo Diddley Technical Institute of Cryptozoology (European HQ)

Re: Guitar Refin in London

Post by PJazzmaster » Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:33 pm

zhivago wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:42 am
Highnumbers wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:00 am
If you are looking for an aged finish option, I can highly recommend Mike Bowes at MB Guitars.

He's in southeastern Kent (in Deal) https://www.mbguitars.co.uk/

Mike recently restored my '64 Jazzmaster and I shipped it to him from Los Angeles, which is a testament to the quality of his work. Very accurate finish aging, quick turnaround times (a few months or less) and very fair prices.

Well worth venturing outside of London a bit, I don't know of anybody in the city that could be recommended.
Very cool! This isn't too difficult for me to get to actually, so I will keep him in mind! :)
Another vote for Mike. 2 years ago I have sent him a vintage body for a nitro refin and he did a great job :-*

User avatar
zhivago
Mods
Mods
Posts: 22064
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:18 am
Location: London, UK

Re: Guitar Refin in London

Post by zhivago » Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:42 am

PJazzmaster wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:33 pm
zhivago wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:42 am
Highnumbers wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:00 am
If you are looking for an aged finish option, I can highly recommend Mike Bowes at MB Guitars.

He's in southeastern Kent (in Deal) https://www.mbguitars.co.uk/

Mike recently restored my '64 Jazzmaster and I shipped it to him from Los Angeles, which is a testament to the quality of his work. Very accurate finish aging, quick turnaround times (a few months or less) and very fair prices.

Well worth venturing outside of London a bit, I don't know of anybody in the city that could be recommended.
Very cool! This isn't too difficult for me to get to actually, so I will keep him in mind! :)
Another vote for Mike. 2 years ago I have sent him a vintage body for a nitro refin and he did a great job :-*
Very good to hear, 8)

I think Mike will be painting something for me in the coming months... :ph34r:
Resident Spartan.

Post Reply