Need Advice: '59 Tweed JM Case, restore or not?

Bringing your older offset back to life.
OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Need Advice: '59 Tweed JM Case, restore or not?

Post by OffYourFace » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:50 pm

I just bought one of those RI Blonde JM cases for my '59.  I have the old tweed case but it's pretty much useless for travel/gigs.  The inside needs some work, end pieces are coming unglued and there's not any 'cushion' left.  The leather handle cover is completely gone and the leather ends are intact but they'll rot soon for sure.  The latches are useless.  Both are springless and one female latch doesn't spring shut.

I was thinking of restoring it... should I?  Or should I just sell it?  Eh, I guess I have to keep it in case I need to sell the guitar for some reason...I guess.  What to do...?  I don't really want both cases in the house (nor does 'she').

Marc
Expat
Expat

Re: Need Advice: '59 Tweed JM Case, restore or not?

Post by Marc » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:59 am

I would just use another case as you are and leave the original to slowly fall apart. When you sell the guitar I think most people prefer to see something original even if it doesn;t function well (apart from the guitar of course!).

It will add value if you ever need to sell it.
Yes the cat has opposing thumbs and extra digits.

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:41 am

Agree with Marc...  it's a pain to store a bunch of cases but I think it's best to keep it with the guitar it came with even if you have another that protects better.  I actually have one case I use for taking a JM out of the house for this reason.

Stratelejazzuar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Stratelejazzuar » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:03 am

it's too bad ziploc doesn't make giant resealable bags for these situations - that way you could keep what freshness remains of your case.  :D

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:39 pm

Thanks guys!  I guess I knew the answer to my question but you know, i was looking for the gold at the end of a rainbow...  ???  :-\  8)