NGD : Pat's old Greco Super JG700 Jaguar

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
Mondaysoutar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD : Pat's old Greco Super JG700 Jaguar

Post by Mondaysoutar » Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:14 pm

ohm-men wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:01 pm
MatthewK wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:13 pm
Oh cool! Well my Jag currently has a 55mm bridge so I might see if there's some way to adapt the plate from that into the Fender J vibrato.
I think it can be done. I did something oposite. Adapted a Fender AVRI trem plate to fit a 10.5 string plate.
The screw holes align perfectly, I only needed to enlarge the trem arm hole as on the MIJ/CIJ/aftermarket trems with 10.5 string spacing the trem arm sits a bit more to the center then the Vintage/AVRI. I think this trem is made up from parts from at least 3 trems. ;D
I bought the AVRI plate from a formite here who converted his trem for a Marauder project.
It's an older AVRI trem plate that is different from the current batch. The plating/chrome is thicker and the Fender logo is stamped deeper.
Found it a good match for my Partsmaster/Frankenmaster as this has aftermarket 10.5 Mustang saddles. I like these as they have somewhat deeper grooves and I don't mind the smaller string spacing as the E strings don't run too close to the fretboard edge.

On a side note, what strings you got on this Jazzmaster out of interest man?

ohm-men
Expat
Expat

Post by ohm-men » Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:21 am

[/quote]

[/quote]

These are Pyramid Pure Nickel roundwound strings. (0.11-0.48) (Green package)
Here in Europe (@ Thomann) they are among the cheaper guitar strings.
I like them as they last really long and the wrapping arround the strings ends makes 'em sturdy for the JM/Jag trem.

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:38 am

ohm-men wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:21 am
I like them as they last really long and the wrapping arround the strings ends makes 'em sturdy for the JM/Jag trem.
That is a thing I'm learning with the offset trem. I ended up buying a cheap set of needle files to clear up any burrs in the trem but I've also only popped a few high E's (and one A when I was giving it that new string tug).

Mondaysoutar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mondaysoutar » Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:55 am

ohm-men wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:21 am
[/quote]

These are Pyramid Pure Nickel roundwound strings. (0.11-0.48) (Green package)
Here in Europe (@ Thomann) they are among the cheaper guitar strings.
[/quote]

Ah thanks man, I use Thomastik Infeld flats, but it’s only the bass strings that have the red wraps. I’ve seen these Pyramid boys around the way so might give them a bash. I prefer a plain G and just (finally!!) managed to find somewhere that could source me a .020 brass plated single right enough haha. I’ll give Pyramid a shot man, only heard good things on them. Great collection you have byeway man, well in. Sorry to derail the thread, I’ll shut it now.

ohm-men
Expat
Expat

Post by ohm-men » Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:13 am

I took the guitar to a reputable guitar tech to have it looked over.
He did a fret level and full crowning of the frets + a full setup.

Picked it up last week and I have to say...OMG... this guitar is really great.
It plays like a dream, no more string rattle and low action.
All notes sounds like they should and the dead spots and notes are gonne.

The trem unit is really superb. Super smooth, no clanking, works like an old one should.
I'm always surprised that these old trem unit's have some kind of magik.

Tech confirmed the neck radius to be 9.5" and not 7.25". He said he found no evidence that the guitar had been worked on previously (no traces of a refret of radius change) so my guess is that the radius is factory stock. So the 9.5" radius Mustang bridge stayed on the guitar.
So, I'm kind of curious if all Greco JG-600 had the 9.5" radius as most sources state them to be 7.25"...
But, I really like the 9.5" radius on a Jag as I usually struggle a bit with the 7.25" radius on short scale guitars.

I'm really happy how it all turned out and finally got my hands on a vintage Jaguar in Oly white with matching headstock.
Again, Super thanks to Pat for the smooth deal :)
Kind of hooked on Pat's prefered string brand. GHS boomers 0.49-0.11, great sound and feel.

I'm sad to say the Squier FSR Charcoal black Jaguar will have to go. But I have no need for 2 jags :P

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:51 am

;D :-* I'm so happy you're so happy with it. Love a happy end!

Btw the Boomers are actually .11-.50 ;)

Cheers!
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

shigginpit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shigginpit » Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:29 pm

ohm-men wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:02 am

Great looking Greco! Would look even better if you swap out the trem lock button with the fender style from Angela's or wherever you may find one, hardly noticeable except for the picture of this angle.

It's crazy how as late as the early 80's there were still these awesome lawsuit models in production, I think it must have just been generally difficult to enforce and Greco was probably a "not for export" brand.
offset since 1994.

ohm-men
Expat
Expat

Post by ohm-men » Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:06 pm

shigginpit wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:29 pm
ohm-men wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:02 am

Great looking Greco! Would look even better if you swap out the trem lock button with the fender style from Angela's or wherever you may find one, hardly noticeable except for the picture of this angle.

It's crazy how as late as the early 80's there were still these awesome lawsuit models in production, I think it must have just been generally difficult to enforce and Greco was probably a "not for export" brand.
It crossed my mind to do just that, but the Greco trem is really on par with a 60's Fender trem. Just as smooth.
So, I'm keeping it on this Jag. AVRI is nice, but the Greco trem is nicer imho...

The Greco was indeed not for export. It's indeed crazy they went all the lenghts to produce a clone of 60's Jaguar. It feels and plays a Vintage Fender Jaguar. Just a few small differences. Also the pickups are just mad... They are soo close to the mid 60 Jag pick ups. Even up to the slight microphonic snap they have.

It's strange, as the thin switch sounds soo different then any other modren Jag I played. Also the Rythem circuit sounds somewhat different, less muffled, but still dark. Hard to explane.

The Greco is nice piece of guitar history, not only for being so rare, but being the pre- Fender Japan offset makes it kind of cool.
I honnestly did not expect it to be this good... It's one of the nicest playing guitars I ever owned.

I had a Vintage Oly White Jag on my wanted list for decades... So I'm really happy to have this one. ;D

ainm
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ainm » Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:50 am

ohm-men wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:06 pm
It's strange, as the thin switch sounds soo different then any other modren Jag I played. Also the Rythem circuit sounds somewhat different, less muffled, but still dark. Hard to explane.
I wondered about the switch and the rhythm circuit too on my beater 60’s partscaster Jag. The cut/boost switch is way more obvious, and the rhythm circuit far sweeter/smoother, than on my modern Jags. The neck pickup in the beater is probably the nicest neck pickup I’ve had and would go some way to explaining the better-sounding rhythm circuit The switch, I dunno. Are modern Jags just rubbish there or is it some aging thing?

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:28 am

:-*
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:50 pm

ainm wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:50 am
ohm-men wrote:
I wondered about the switch and the rhythm circuit too on my beater 60’s partscaster Jag. The cut/boost switch is way more obvious, and the rhythm circuit far sweeter/smoother, than on my modern Jags. The neck pickup in the beater is probably the nicest neck pickup I’ve had and would go some way to explaining the better-sounding rhythm circuit The switch, I dunno. Are modern Jags just rubbish there or is it some aging thing?
Different/out-of-spec part values?

ainm
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ainm » Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:15 pm

GilmourD wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:50 pm
ainm wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:50 am
ohm-men wrote:
Different/out-of-spec part values?
Probably this tbh. The changes are a 250 volume pot and the bridge pickup is an SD mini-bucker. Of course that combo is going to have an effect, obviously on the bridge but also on the neck in the main circuit. No complaints, though. I love the monstrosity. Rhythm circuit appears original from what I can tell. The neck pickup is probably just better than I’m used to. And I also haven’t spent a lot of time with the American RIs, which I’m sure are equally as good.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:13 am

FUCK YEAH!!!!! :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

clintburgess
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by clintburgess » Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:23 am

Had to weigh in on this beauty of a Greco jaguar. Aged white finish with a tort guard is a brilliant combo and all the chatter regarding specs and playability surely point to this thing being a great find. Again, another awesome part of this forum, gear moving from one offset enthusiasts hand to another and genuine excitement from the forum members on NGD reveals. Enjoy that Greco!

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:37 am

i recently got a CIJ jag quite alike to this one but... i still think often about this greco! :-* :-*