Have a look at this '66 Jaguar.

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
Bronco Billy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Have a look at this '66 Jaguar.

Post by Bronco Billy » Fri May 12, 2023 10:31 pm

Hey Guys,

It's been a while, I'm sorry. I've been busy with life, kids, buying guitars, gigging. (in no specific order).

I'm not normally looking for Jaguars because I'm such a jazzmaster freak, but yesterday I walked into a musicstore, where the owner just died, and they had this 1966 in it's original case. No trem bar, but everything else seems to be legit. The will open it up with me, and go trough it, and check everything out. The price($4386) is OK, not a good deal at all, but it needs frets. Badly. It sounds great and the pickups seem really strong, very spaghetti western.

The guy at the shop first offered me to include a refret at a very small fee, but he took that back. Do you guys see anything unusual ?

Of course I won't overpay, but It could potentially be a keeper for life, but a refret with bindings is expensive here ind Denmark.

I used to be like "uhhh, it needs to be pre-cbs, and I can't take dots and bindings!" But now I actually have played a few '62 jags and som 66 and 67's. And The ones with bindings, don't feel quite as "small" as the 62's. Jags can sometimes feel a bit cramped compared to Jazzmasters IMO. But this on doesn't. Dunno why.

I probably can't remember how to put in photos, so here's a link to my google album. (I did make the pics work! )
https://photos.app.goo.gl/SBac34dDmjqn2pE56

ImageImage

HarktheUmpire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Have a look at this '66 Jaguar.

Post by HarktheUmpire » Sat May 13, 2023 2:14 am

I’m by no means an expert, but that actually seems like a really good deal by European standards. From what I can see, it looks to be completely original. A Staytrem trem arm will only cost you something like 40 pounds, and it’s actually a (small) improvement over the original. Personally, I don’t think the difference with pre-CBS ones is all that big; in ‘66, these were being made by mostly the same people, using mostly the same methods and materials. They were just churning them out a lot faster, so things got a little sloppier, which brings me to…

…the only thing that might bother me a little about that particular Jag: the gap at the heel of the neck. I don’t know if it matters, and gaps are quite common on CBS-era Fenders, or at least I’ve noticed them more often. I see them more often on the sides though, where I believe they don’t cause any trouble. A gap at the actual heel might worry me more, although I suppose the only thing that matters is that, gaps permitted, the neck and body are tightly attached? Perhaps someone here knows if a heel gap could negatively affect anything?

If you can, I would measure the pots. I’m convinced these break or drift way off spec far more often than people are aware of. In my case, the surprisingly mellow sound of my old Jag turned out not to have anything to do with aged pickup magnets or anything like that. Its 1meg volume pot when maxed out read… 40k! No wonder the rhythm circuit actually sounded a tad bit brighter. Not that I minded tbh; it allowed me to put in a 250k pot without worrying about keeping things original. Using 1megs wasn’t Fender’s best idea in the first place if you ask me.

Also, dots and binding look great. It’s actually my favourite look on a Fender neck. As for the frets… I had the same thought with my ‘66. But after playing it for many months, I adjusted to it very quickly and now think it might need a refret in fiveish years, rather than one. I quickly got used to the frets being quite low, to the point where it’s become by far my favourite guitar. Of course, there might be even less left of the frets on that particular guitar, but I wouldn’t rule out that it may still be good for years. You may also find you get used to them, or even are happy with them

Also, I forgot to mention, but that guitar looks very clean and really, really nice. If it is in fact all original, I’d say it’s an absolute no-brainer if you have the money.
Last edited by HarktheUmpire on Sat May 13, 2023 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

simonhpieman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by simonhpieman » Sat May 13, 2023 2:50 am

The grain on that neck is wild! I love it!

Agree that the price actually seems pretty good for Europe. Heaven knows I regret selling my 65 Jag in 2020, given what I'm seeing them go for now!

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Sat May 13, 2023 2:52 am

Buy it before Pat drives across the border and picks it up instead.

£3.5k is excellent for something in that condition. An AVRI II will be nearly £2k, if they even release a Jag.
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

Bronco Billy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bronco Billy » Sat May 13, 2023 6:45 am

HarktheUmpire wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 2:14 am
I’m by no means an expert, but that actually seems like a really good deal by European standards. From what I can see, it looks to be completely original. A Staytrem trem arm will only cost you something like 40 pounds, and it’s actually a (small) improvement over the original. Personally, I don’t think the difference with pre-CBS ones is all that big; in ‘66, these were being made by mostly the same people, using mostly the same methods and materials. They were just churning them out a lot faster, so things got a little sloppier, which brings me to…

…the only thing that might bother me a little about that particular Jag: the gap at the heel of the neck. I don’t know if it matters, and gaps are quite common on CBS-era Fenders, or at least I’ve noticed them more often. I see them more often on the sides though, where I believe they don’t cause any trouble. A gap at the actual heel might worry me more, although I suppose the only thing that matters is that, gaps permitted, the neck and body are tightly attached? Perhaps someone here knows if a heel gap could negatively affect anything?

If you can, I would measure the pots. I’m convinced these break or drift way off spec far more often than people are aware of. In my case, the surprisingly mellow sound of my old Jag turned out not to have anything to do with aged pickup magnets or anything like that. Its 1meg volume pot when maxed out read… 40k! No wonder the rhythm circuit actually sounded a tad bit brighter. Not that I minded tbh; it allowed me to put in a 250k pot without worrying about keeping things original. Using 1megs wasn’t Fender’s best idea in the first place if you ask me.

Also, dots and binding look great. It’s actually my favourite look on a Fender neck. As for the frets… I had the same thought with my ‘66. But after playing it for many months, I adjusted to it very quickly and now think it might need a refret in fiveish years, rather than one. I quickly got used to the frets being quite low, to the point where it’s become by far my favourite guitar. Of course, there might be even less left of the frets on that particular guitar, but I wouldn’t rule out that it may still be good for years. You may also find you get used to them, or even are happy with them

Also, I forgot to mention, but that guitar looks very clean and really, really nice. If it is in fact all original, I’d say it’s an absolute no-brainer if you have the money.
Thx for your thoughts man! I didn’t notice any gap in the neck pocket, towards the neck pickup. I think it’s because the guard has shrunken!
I’m gonna remember to check it when I see it again!

graceless
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by graceless » Sat May 13, 2023 12:22 pm

I'd buy this without hesitation if I was in the market for a jag. In fact that's sort of how I came across my '65. It was ~4k all in after tax, was borderline on needing a refret, and I got it done, and whew, it's a lifer guitar. I can't imagine these pop up too often in Denmark, so, I know I'm a bad influence, but that's a beaut. I love the D+B!

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Sat May 13, 2023 2:18 pm

Go for it!
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

Highnumbers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Highnumbers » Sun May 14, 2023 10:54 pm

Yeah that’s solid good deal, even in the U.S.

Good deals don’t stick around waiting for you, either. If you’re at all considering buying this, do so quickly.

kapepper
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kapepper » Tue May 16, 2023 11:27 am

Great price and comes with the original case even. Go for it!

Bronco Billy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bronco Billy » Wed May 17, 2023 10:53 am

Thx for your inputs guys!

I'm seeing It again tomorrow, and we are gone op it up, and see how it is under the hood.

If it's good, and the vibe is still there, I'm taking it home!

Bronco Billy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bronco Billy » Thu May 18, 2023 6:14 am

Well someone got himself a new guitar!

It was totally untouched inside. 🙌

I’ll post some pics one of the coming days!

GreenKnee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GreenKnee » Thu May 18, 2023 6:48 am

Bronco Billy wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 6:14 am

Yess!! Congratulations it's a stunner, dots and bound is a winner every time

whitewatersky
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by whitewatersky » Thu May 18, 2023 4:37 pm

Bronco Billy wrote:

ripper ! congrats :?

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Sat May 20, 2023 4:34 am

Bronco Billy wrote:

Congrats! Gorgeous Jag for sure!
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

Bronco Billy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bronco Billy » Sun May 21, 2023 5:29 am

As Promised!!