That $trat guy, Matthew Scott, finally picks up a Jazzmaster...

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
andare
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: That $trat guy, Matthew Scott, finally picks up a Jazzmaster...

Post by andare » Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:12 am

Price hike due to having been noodled on by a Stevie Ray clone.
What could possibly justify a $4000 increase?
Shameful.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:30 am

So he paid probably the going rate, exposed that it had been irreversibly modified (and documented as such on YouTube) then decided it was worth almost double what he paid?

Little bellend is smoking crack
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:51 am

For a guy who supposedly lives by the "bargains are still out there, if you're lucky" ethos, he's sure fucking it up for everybody else.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:19 am

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:51 am
For a guy who supposedly lives by the "bargains are still out there, if you're lucky" ethos, he's sure fucking it up for everybody else.
He’s a hypocrite. Big surprise. YouTubers are a special breed.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:26 am

I commented asking for his logic with upcharging $4k even though it's technically worth less since his discovery
Don't assume I overpaid. And the price I list a guitar for vs what it may actually sell for, are usually different numbers. Thanks for watching 👍🏻
A total non-answer. He knows he's being a cunt

repoman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by repoman » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:43 am

The economy is so weird. Massive inflation, economy has been fubarred well for 3 years now...but there are tons of people paying huge amounts of money for guitars.
2-3 years ago dept store acoustic archtops would go for like 100-300 bucks, now ebay is littered with Kay archtops that no one is going to buy for $800. IDGI.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:06 am

repoman wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:43 am
The economy is so weird. Massive inflation, economy has been fubarred well for 3 years now...but there are tons of people paying huge amounts of money for guitars.
2-3 years ago dept store acoustic archtops would go for like 100-300 bucks, now ebay is littered with Kay archtops that no one is going to buy for $800. IDGI.
It seems like every recession worsens wealth distribution. The people who are being squeezed by food and energy prices aren't the people spending $10k on vintage guitars. Most people who could buy a $10k guitar 5 years ago can still buy a $12k guitar today after inflation.

Plus, anyone who already had some vintage guitars before the pandemic got to ride that price wave upward, and could fund new overpriced guitars by selling their old overpriced guitars.

It's kinda like the housing market - the people who bought ages ago can deal with the new prices no problem, as can rich folks. It's the new buyers of average income who get fucked by inflation. The number of houses being sold hasn't dropped as prices rise; it's just a smaller number of richer people buying all of them.

Seems to be the case with guitars as well. None of my musician friends have been buying new gear this past year or so, unless it was funded by sales of old gear, and prices have not dropped all that much from their peak, despite the market being slower.

Weird times.

Edit: autocorrect.
Last edited by Embenny on Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:34 am

Embenny wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:06 am
It seems like every recession worsens wealth distribution. The people who are being squeezed by food and energy prices don't the people spending $10k on vintage guitars. Most people who could buy a $10k guitar 5 years ago can still buy a $12k guitar today after inflation.

Plus, anyone who already had some vintage guitars before the pandemic got to ride that price wave upward, and could fund new overpriced guitars by selling their old overpriced guitars.

It's kinda like the housing market - the people who bought ages ago can deal with the new prices no problem, as can rich folks. It's the new buyers of average income who get fucked by inflation. The number of houses being sold hasn't dropped as prices rise; it's just a smaller number of richer people buying all of them.

Seems to be the case with guitars as well. None of my musician friends have been buying new gear this past year or so, unless it was funded by sales of old gear, and prices have not dropped all that much from their peak, despite the market being slower.

Weird times.
I think the only part of the market that'll potentially slip will be the 3-7k range. People paying that much for a guitar and then feeling that burning GAS for something fresh (which happens to most guitarists eventually) will try and recoup their costs or make a profit, but will probably stagnate as people that would/could possibly stretch to that amount will also be feeling the pinch a little. It's too expensive to just stash away and buy another so eventually they might take a small hit on resale in order to quell the thirst for new shiny toys.

I made a small loss on a few things over the last few years to help pay for other things, I just chalked it up to the price you pay to have a ride on the train and moved on. C'est La Vie and all that.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:00 pm

JSett wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:34 am

I think the only part of the market that'll potentially slip will be the 3-7k range. People paying that much for a guitar and then feeling that burning GAS for something fresh (which happens to most guitarists eventually) will try and recoup their costs or make a profit, but will probably stagnate as people that would/could possibly stretch to that amount will also be feeling the pinch a little. It's too expensive to just stash away and buy another so eventually they might take a small hit on resale in order to quell the thirst for new shiny toys.

I made a small loss on a few things over the last few years to help pay for other things, I just chalked it up to the price you pay to have a ride on the train and moved on. C'est La Vie and all that.
I could see that happening. The low end of the used market is propped up by the rising replacement cost of new guitars, and the pricey collector shit lives in a world where food and housing prices aren't on anyone's mind. The "pricey but attainable in small quantities by regular people" range is where a squeeze might actually be felt.

Of course, that's unless the economy bounces back before the guitar market collapses.

The wild card is the alleged windfall of Boomer collections entering the market as estates liquidate them. We're at a point where that should start happening in earnest, but it's unclear how many guitars that represents and whether they'll simply be absorbed by the Gen X and Millennials who will be inheriting boomer wealth concurrently.

People are quick to point out that Boomers hold historic majorities of wealth and pricey vintage guitars, but they seem to miss the part where their passing will mean a historic influx of wealth to the two generations behind them.

For every extra pre-CBS Fender on the market that increases supply, there might be an extra Gen Xer or Millennial who finds themselves in a position where they can afford a 5-figure guitar for the first time.

Us adult and middle-aged whippersnappers have very different spending and investing habits from our Boomer parents. We tend to have less money saved up compared to when Boomers were our age, and nobody knows whether inheriting money will make those habits change. If we're used to having a lower percentage of our money in savings and investments, there's a chance that we put a higher proportion of that inherited boomer wealth into purchasing things like vintage guitars, and actually drive prices up despite so many collections hitting the market.

superficial
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by superficial » Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:08 pm

Also I'm not bothered about a 50's Strat so I can look like Hank Marvin. I want a competition Mustang or a modded Jazzmaster. So I really think the patterns of vintage guitar buying will change as the boomers die off and millennials start inheriting money.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:00 pm

superficial wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:08 pm
Also I'm not bothered about a 50's Strat so I can look like Hank Marvin. I want a competition Mustang or a modded Jazzmaster. So I really think the patterns of vintage guitar buying will change as the boomers die off and millennials start inheriting money.
Entirely possible, but make no mistake, there are a ton of non-Boomers who would jump on a pre-CBS Strat or Telecaster if they could afford it. They're popular in a lot of genres still played by younger generations, and pre-CBS Fenders are still appreciated by anyone who plays them. The thing keeping them out of most hands is price, not desirability. I mean, how many non-Boomers buy reissues of pre-CBS Strats and Teles? A lot. We see NGDs and posts about them here regularly.

We're biased here on OSG, obviously those guitars will be less popular with a forum dedicated to Fender's oddballs, but even here, there are plenty of Strat and Tele fans. We just don't see the pre-CBS ones in NGD posts too often because we don't tend to run with the $25k guitar crowd.

So, there are two ways for them to become more attainable. Either prices drop, or purchase power climbs. We might see either, or both, as Boomer wealth gets inherited.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:16 pm

JSett wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:26 am
I commented asking for his logic with upcharging $4k even though it's technically worth less since his discovery
Don't assume I overpaid. And the price I list a guitar for vs what it may actually sell for, are usually different numbers. Thanks for watching 👍🏻
He got a bit salty when I mentioned the massive price increase in the YT comments.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:33 pm

andy_tchp wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:16 pm
JSett wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:26 am
He got a bit salty when I mentioned the massive price increase in the YT comments.
This just in! Massive cunt behaves in unfriendly manner when called out on cunt-like behaviour.

More at 11.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:36 pm

I was shocked and stunned
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:44 am

Such profanity :P

I don’t know the bloke, but can’t really blame him for trying to get a high price, provided he is honest in the ad about the guitar’s mods. (I haven’t seen the ad, so don’t know if this is the case.)

I’ve read plenty of posts here on osg from people admitting that they have advertised a guitar at “tell him he’s dreamin” prices, just to see if anyone bites.