That $trat guy, Matthew Scott, finally picks up a Jazzmaster...

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: That $trat guy, Matthew Scott, finally picks up a Jazzmaster...

Post by sal paradise » Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:06 pm

I’ll opt for a 1960 model! Oh no, there’s only 2 of those as well.
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

marginwalker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marginwalker » Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:57 pm

When I think of “artificial” manipulation in the used guitar market I think of Mike & Mike’s Guitar Bar and their insane prices with no option to even send an offer. People dumb or desperate enough with lots of money buy from sellers like them, which raises the average asking price by people lower on the food chain and then the perceived “value” of these guitars goes up. An endless snowball effect

At the end of the day we’re all just playing a game of arbitrary BS. We’re all born into this shit system and everything’s all set and locked into place. The “free” market is a total crock

Sorry for the rant lol

Highnumbers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Highnumbers » Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:16 pm

I’ve never bought a guitar from M&M GB because I felt their prices were too high and there was no option to submit a lower offer. That’s how I voted.

If others chose not to do the same (or have more money than time to gain an understanding of more typical market prices), that’s on them. Asking higher than typical current prices (and even achieving those prices) does not make an artificial market. Still a finite supply and a strong demand.

andare
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andare » Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:39 am

Apparently defining restoration as pump and dump is ok. Using a hyperbole like "almost as bad" is not and apparently it means "just as bad".
Artificial and natural only apply to things you consider artificial or natural.

It seems like semantics is not our forte in this thread.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:01 am

andare wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:39 am
It seems like semantics is not our forte in this thread.
I'd argue getting bent out of shape about semantics on an internet forum is a not going to go too well. Languages are constantly evolving. If you use a word or phrase incorrectly long enough it can become correct. 'Guys' is now gender neutral. Irregardless now means regardless. 'I could care less' is now considered the same as 'I could not care less' as much as I loathe all of those examples.

This forum has people from all over the world (I mean... mainly USA, Canada, UK and Australia, but lots of other spots). We have had threads about grammar and the abuse of whatever proper English is supposed to be. There are people on here that speak multiple languages, and then plenty of discussions about it. Complaining about how we miss key words and have double standards after making less than 70 posts seems premature to me.

Then there is the whole way forum chats go. Most of DO have double standards and beliefs that somewhat contradict each other. You get into some random discussion/quibble with someone else and they latch on to some phrase that you absentmindedly tossed off. Then some knob will take a little quote from your post and go to town for no good reason. Analogies are ripe to be picked apart and can send someone else off the ledge. I've certainly seen some bad ones over the years.

I can't tell you the number of times that I made what I thought was a devastatingly great observation/joke about whatever and it gets completely ignored. :'( Such is life on the forums.

All of these thoughts and values we have in our head that make perfect sense don't always align with everyone else's. If you want people to understand your points better then it's on you to write more clearly and also accept that it still might not work. Rolling your eyes and complaining might work too. Who knows?

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:06 am

Yeah, passing judgement on here as to how it's (often long standing) members conduct themselves or how they converse when you're not even into triple figures of posting yet is a bit p00p

There's not a lot of grammar-nazi'ing that goes on here at all, just a mutual respect not to use 'txt spk n othr stupid ways f typin'
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

andare
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andare » Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:18 am

I'm aware some members here are not native English speakers, I'm not one either. My comments were not about language ability and I don't think I used words that are easy to misunderstand.

I don't see how my post history has anything to do with the way my words are interpreted or me having the right to point out that certain language exaggerations are tolerated and others are taken literally, misunderstood or used to make assumptions.

I guess the lesson here is that one should be less opinionated before having been accepted into a tight-knit community.

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 46346 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:25 am

andare wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:18 am
I'm aware some members here are not native English speakers, I'm not one either. My comments were not about language ability and I don't think I used words that are easy to misunderstand.

I don't see how my post history has anything to do with the way my words are interpreted or me having the right to point out that certain language exaggerations are tolerated and others are taken literally, misunderstood or used to make assumptions.

I guess the lesson here is that one should be less opinionated before having been accepted into a tight-knit community.
aye, i found your words to be well-chosen, and your take on generally flipping for profit seemed sincere and correct. this topic seemed to derail into a gripe session opportunity, though - such is our lot in the western world these days, when we see our neighbors struggling with the basic economics in life. some of our regulars here have some pretty nuanced observations in this area, and i enjoy how they relate it to our access to the guitars we strive to enjoy. but i don't think anyone here should discourage you from expressing your opinion.

i've been on (and off) this board for a dozen years, i still love it, but it's often the newer contributors who keep me interested!

cheers.
Cat Museum, ACME, Malcolm Mooney, Dream Apes, The Cooling Time, Kind Hearts and Coronets, Quarks

andare
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andare » Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:08 am

46346 wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:25 am
andare wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:18 am

aye, i found your words to be well-chosen, and your take on generally flipping for profit seemed sincere and correct. this topic seemed to derail into a gripe session opportunity, though - such is our lot in the western world these days, when we see our neighbors struggling with the basic economics in life. some of our regulars here have some pretty nuanced observations in this area, and i enjoy how they relate it to our access to the guitars we strive to enjoy. but i don't think anyone here should discourage you from expressing your opinion.

i've been on (and off) this board for a dozen years, i still love it, but it's often the newer contributors who keep me interested!

cheers.
Thank you, I appreciate your comment!