(Its here--pics pg. 2) Incoming NGD - Most expensive, rare guitar in my collection! (so far)

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
copacetic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

(Its here--pics pg. 2) Incoming NGD - Most expensive, rare guitar in my collection! (so far)

Post by copacetic » Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:50 pm

Welp, as elder millenials say: I did a thing.

But before we get to the fun parts, unfortunately the preceding story is hella sad. Consider yourself warned and just skip this next paragraph if you dont wish to have your vibe harshed.

My bday was Jan 19th and in addition to having somewhat of a quarter life crisis due to turning 26 and entering the "end of my 20s," I had pretty much the worst day of my life a week before when my beloved senior cat Luna suddenly started having a scary health episode. I rushed her to an emergency vet but they basically told me there was nothing that could be done, and even if we spent all the money in the world she still only had maybe a 5% chance of ever leaving the hospital again. I went from snuggling my girl that morning, to suddenly having to make the awful choice to say goodbye. It all happened so fast and i felt so unprepared to say goodbye. I knew she was old (anywhere from 8-12 when i rescued her from the streets 4 years ago) but i just thought we would have more time.

So, needless to say, i was in a pretty bad depression after that, and its definitely still lingering although i can finally get out of bed again and think about guitars and work, so thats good. Shortly before everything happened with Luna, I had gone to a local vintage guitar shop and played a few vintage guitars and fell in love with one model in particular and played it for like an hour. However, it was priced at $4k so even if i got them to give me a great deal on it and put it on layaway or a credit card, it just simply wasnt obtainable for me. I more or less put it out of my mind.

Then once my bday was approaching and I was still super sad and feeling like I didnt even want to stick around to see another birthday, I started watching guitar videos to try and get my mind off things. Lo and behold, i saw a virtually identical model to the one i had played in a video with a really inspiring player and amazing close up shots of it, and for a moment, i wasnt focused on being sad and was amazed by this guitar. I started looking around online just to see what the cheapest beat up example i could find was going for and something incredible happened.. I saw ONE listed about 30% lower than any of the others, and almost half the price of the one i had played at the shop, at a number that was (barely) doable for me, but it would have put me in a tight spot. The gears inevitably started turning, and it felt nice to be somewhat excited about something instead of depressed, even if it is a totally vain material thing like an expensive guitar i dont need..

I mentioned my predicament to Adam (our own NoCamping_4U) as weve become pretty good buds in the past year or so thru all the projects weve worked on together and we text each other every so often just to nerd out over guitars or send each other deals we find. Hes such a damn nice guy he wanted to help me get this dream guitar in memory of Luney Tunes, so he paid me in advance for some projects we have planned over the next few months, giving me just enough wiggle room in my budget to afford this beast. I couldnt have done it without his help, (we were both worried it would sell before i was able to save up since it was such a crazy good price) and its truly crazy to me that someone ive never met in person and who I only really know because of this website is generous enough to care about helping me get a guitar that i really dont need, just to help cheer me up and make my birthday less shitty. I truly cant express enough how grateful i am for this little corner of the internet and all the amazing ladies and gentlemen and nonbinary pals that populate it. You guys are like my extended musical family and i think thats fucking rad in this day and age!

SO i know this post is long as shit already, but i wanted to fully explain how special this guitar is going to be to me, and to share a little about my wonderful, sweet cat and the great friends I've made on these forums.
In loving memory of Luna :-* AKA Luney Tunes, Lunar Lander, Luna-tick (when her belly is full) Luna Balloona

NOW for the fun part. This wont be here until thursday. So while I'm sweating bullets and checking the tracking every 3 hrs, you guys get to have the fun of guessing whats on the way!

HINTS:
The letters "RR" have some significance
"German designed"
Crazy, wild and increasingly rare finish for the model

Happy guessing!! :)
Much love to all you weirdos
Last edited by copacetic on Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Owner/Operator - Feelgood Guitars

caples
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Incoming NGD - Most expensive, rare guitar in my collection! (so far)

Post by caples » Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:01 pm

Maybe an Antigua coronado?
1969 Comp Blue Mustang, 1965 Natural Jaguar

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:27 pm

I have no idea but I'm excited for you nonetheless
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:39 pm

Firstly, my condolences. There's no pain quite like losing a beloved pet. If I'm not careful, I can sometimes get sucked into reliving the final moments of pets past instead of the many joyous moments that preceded them. Nothing helps heal but time.

As for the guitar, clearly RR is Roger Rossmeisl, which means Coronado or Telecaster Thinline.

Rare finish is making me think Coronado. Either antigua or Wildwood. Describing it as wild makes me think Wildwood.

So, final answer. Fender Coronado in Wildwood finish.

Thinking about it, you build tons of guitars with Coronado necks, so I'm thinking a vintage Coronado has been on your wanted list for a long time.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

MattK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MattK » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:13 pm

I bet you're right mbene, hits all the marks.
Vale Luna, looks like a lot of personality in a fur package. Maybe a bit naff these days but I'm still fond of the Pumpkins track of that name, would probably sound pretty good on a Coronado. You should pick a song you love playing and make that hers.

copacetic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by copacetic » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:35 pm

MatthewK wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:13 pm
I bet you're right mbene, hits all the marks.
Vale Luna, looks like a lot of personality in a fur package. Maybe a bit naff these days but I'm still fond of the Pumpkins track of that name, would probably sound pretty good on a Coronado. You should pick a song you love playing and make that hers.
Well alright i wanted to keep a bit more mystery going, but you guys are too good haha.

Not only have you and Embenny correctly guessed the model and finish (1968 Fender Coronado Wildwood I) but you also guessed the song that Luna was named after.

I was 22 and had just started to get into the Pumpkins in a deeper way (always heard the radio hits growing up but never really listened to an album) and Siamese Dream became the soundtrack to an era of my life that was kind of lonely as i had just split up with my gf of 3 years who i lived with and she had taken our cat Gatsby (who she later lost :'( ) because "her friend gave him to us." I got a tiny one bedroom apartment and spent a lot of time alone and sad playing Pumpkins songs on my new 66 mustang my mom had bought me for my bday to help cheer me up after the breakup (I obviously have a pattern here of guitar retail therapy lmao) Then one night during a hurricane, i had gone out to get food (we were just getting heavy rain and some wind, not too bad where i lived) and when i got back home, i saw a little fur ball scurry across the parking lot into a storm drain to hide. I set my food down inside and went back out to see what it was, and there was the smallest little cat hiding under the cover of the drain. I approached her slowly so i didnt spook her into falling backwards into the sewer, and luckily she trusted me enough to let me scoop her up.

She was so tiny when i got her, i thought she was a kitten. She walked with a limp and couldnt fully extend her left elbow, and she was very matted and had fleas etc. It was obvious she had been living a rough life on the streets, but i instantly fell in love with my new shy, scared kitten. Cleaned her up and took her to the vet and found out that she actually wasnt a kitten, but a senior cat around 10 years old who was a runt of her litter. She was fixed but not chipped so it seemed she had once been someones cat, but they had lost her or allowed her to suffer in bad conditions. I knew in that moment that I wouldnt have an insanely long time with her due to her age and health, but there was no way i could have walked away or surrendered her at that point. We were buds for life, come what may.

I named her Luna after my favorite riff that was bouncing around in my head at the time. It took her a couple months to really warm up to me and realize she was safe (im pretty sure she was abused and/or bullied on the streets before i got her, she was very scared of people and loud noises, sudden movements etc) but once she opened up, she became the most loving sweet cat ive ever known. Always down for a cuddle, would follow me around to every room in the house, let me pick her up and hold her like a baby as long as i wanted (only me though) loved to headbutt me/my hat bills and sleep nuzzled up in my right armpit haha. I am just looking back at pictures of her and trying to remember the good times and her sweet personality, rather than how awful everything was on the last day, like Embenny said. Its somewhat cathartic to talk about her on here, so i apologize for being so long winded but thank you all for sending me condolences and kind words.

Naming it after Luna even though i never name guitars and sometimes find it "cringe" to do so. This is going to be a lifetime keeper for me and a memoriam to my friend. Luna by the SP's will definitely be the first riff i strum :')

Will post better pics when she arrives. You can see the green much better in other pics, but i gotta save something for the big reveal haha.
Its a "Wildwood I" meaning the color injected into the Beechwood was green (other roman numerals indicate different colors. my favoritve being VI or Blue/green that was only found on wildwood acoustics at the time)
This lovely example is all original with the obvious exception of the 3rd pickup and 2 extra knobs that were added at some point and then filled and refinished/somewhat hidden. These minor imperfections dont turn me off a bit and they allowed the guitar to be priced low enough for me to afford it, so in my mind it was simply meant to be :-*
Last edited by copacetic on Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Owner/Operator - Feelgood Guitars

gishuk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gishuk » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:45 pm

Great cat, great song and a great guitar :-*

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:30 pm

Frick man, I literally typed out "and I'm going to guess that it has more green streaks than reddish brown ones" but then edited and got rid of that part.

I feel pretty good about that guess :D

Congrats, it looks like it'll be a blast to play.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

debudavid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by debudavid » Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:47 pm

Such a beautiful cat! So sorry about your loss but happy you've found an extremely nice guitar. :-*

Caddy65
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Caddy65 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:02 pm

Sorry about your cat, but don’t let 26 get you down. It could be 75 like I am. I have grandkids older than you and 5 great grandkids.

Congrats on the guitar.

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:49 pm

Oooh nice guitar, cat and story.
To me also, Siamese Dream is the #1 important album of all, the companion in my most exciting time in life, what made me pick up a guitar in the end. :-*

Love a guitar with scars and history.
RR might stand for Roger Rossmeisl? Has it been signed by him? :w00t:

Cheers man!
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:02 am

gishuk wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:45 pm
Great cat, great song and a great guitar :-*
This.

A fitting tribute.
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:13 am

Oooh, very nice chap! With the vibrato AND the good pickups too, great score.

I keep toying with getting rid of mine as I don't play it much but, well, then I pick it up and play it and realise I love it.

Looking forward to the NGD post and a detailed rundown.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

F15hface
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by F15hface » Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:51 am

Sorry to hear about your cat, she looks adorable and it’s wonderful you got to have four years that were probably the best of her life and obviously meant a lot to you. I’d be getting a sticker of a minimal cat art interpretation of her on the pickguard asap. Looks like a great guitar too - just the right amount of history to be fun but not fucked.

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:29 am

So sorry to hear about the loss of your companion, she looked like a lovely creature. Good on you for adopting an older animal though. Some of my best pets came "used".

Looking forward to your NGD post though. This seems like a great way to keep her around in spirit.
Doug
@dpcannafax