Jazzmaster and Jag pre cbs evolution till mid 60 ś

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jazzmaster and Jag pre cbs evolution till mid 60 ś

Post by timtam » Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:53 pm

Sauerkraut wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:50 am
timtam wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:53 am
Sauerkraut wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:51 am
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought Fender used to list body wood because people might prefer one over the other aesthetically (for transparent finishes). Not because of any purported sonic qualities.
Nah .. Fender is totally drunk on its own nonsense 'tonewood' koolaid ...
No no, I meant back in '62, when they offered ash and alder. What I meant is that I think the whole idea of tone wood wasn't actually a thing back then. Ash was just considered prettier than alder for transparent finishes. Nicer grain. But I haven't seen examples of Fender making claims back then about alleged tonal differences between woods.
Oh OK, sorry. And not only was there no notion of 'tonewood' back then (where the notion did eventually arise is obscure - no one seems to know where it came from), but in fact the exact opposite was understood to be key - that the solid wood should not vibrate significantly. And if it doesn't, there is no mechanism for solid wood to exert a sonic effect (see my other very long post today). For example, see how Les Paul spoke about it below. He had an intuitive understanding of guitar physics and the Conservation of Energy Law that obviously pre-dated the guitar science research that has shown real solid-body guitars to work in a way that is consistent with his understanding ...

'Soon after moving to Chicago, Les commissioned the Larson Brothers to build him a solid-top guitar: “Early on,” he told Sievert, “I figured out that when you’ve got the top vibrating and a string vibrating, you’ve got a conflict. One of them has got to stop, and it can’t be the string, because that’s making the sound. So in 1934 I asked the Larson Brothers – the instrument makers in Chicago – to build me a guitar with a half-inch maple top and no f-holes. They thought I was crazy. They told me it wouldn’t vibrate. I told them I didn’t want it to vibrate, because I was going to put two pickups in it. As far as I know, I was the first guy to put two pickups in a guitar. The next step was in the late 1930s, when I took an Epiphone [archtop] and bolted a 3/8-inch steel bar across the top of the body on the inside. The pickup was completely immune from vibrations from the bridge and neck. It was suspended, so it didn’t touch the bar or the guitar and was shock-mounted so that it would not move. It gave me the equivalent of a solidbody guitar. The sides of the body were for cosmetic purposes only.”'
http://theguitar-blog.com/?p=989
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:28 pm

timtam wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:20 pm
Highnumbers wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:58 am
There is a world of difference between people waxing on about “tonewoods” and a basic understanding that the density of certain woods has a minor effect on the sound. Even on a solidbody.

Whether or not you agree with this is another matter altogether. But let’s not flame those who have firsthand experience testing this out, while others are just reading about it online and making “scientific” claims.
It's worth saying that the guitar science literature presents a consistent picture of the physics of real solid body electric guitars - a significant body of work by independent (guitar-playing) scientists, on different guitars, using a range of different scientific methods, in different labs, over several decades. All pointing to similar, consistent conclusions. The results of that work is entirely consistent with everyone's real heard experience of guitars - just not always the ‘explanations’ for that heard experience that some people dreamed up.

Of course the material properties of wood affects way that vibrations pass through it, as they do for any material. But that falls far short of meaning that those properties are relevant in a real solid-body electric guitar. The actual research has shown that the long, thin, flexible, composite neck (neck wood, fretboard wood, truss rod, headstock) in real guitars has a sonic role. There is little evidence that the solid body has any any similar role. They are of course very different physical structures.

A large part of the evidence against the likelihood of any significant sonic role for solid body wood is that a mechanism does not obviously exist for it to play a significant role. Despite what some players believe, little vibration actually reaches the body from the strings. Bridge admittance (conductance) of real guitars is measured as very small, much smaller than that of the neck (where it can be significant). Direct measurements of body vibration also show that very little vibration reaches the body. Direct measurements of the proportion of string vibrations excited by the pick that remain in the strings show that the overwhelming proportion do so - unlike in an acoustic guitar. And direct sustain measurements show it to be much better than in acoustic guitars. Sustain has also been accurately predicted just from the neck's resonant modal frequencies and the string's properties. Together all that indicates that significant vibration energy cannot be leaving the strings.

So all in all, we have a panel of measurements from real guitars that consistently supports the contention that body vibration is not significant. So if little vibration ever reaches the body, the material properties of different solid body wood species, or even just different pieces of solid wood, has no real mechanism to significantly and variably affect the sonic output of the guitar.

Is it possible that one day we might still see an unequivocal, consistent measurement of a sonic effect of solid-body wood ? Of course. But the ‘bar’ of existing evidence is high. As it stands, all of the anecdotes or poorly controlled, supposed 'demonstrations' of solid wood effects are at least consistent with another important set of findings from the guitar science research - that there are many, many things that can sometimes (but not always) affect the sonic output of real solid body guitars. Many more than was once thought, and many not widely known by players (see for example ch7 of Zollner's "Physics of the Electric Guitar"). So just showing that two guitars made of different solid woods - that appear otherwise nominally similar - sound different unfortunately falls far short of evidence that solid wood is sonically important. To prove that, one would need to make a lot of exacting measurements to be sure that none of the other many factors varied between those two guitars, or measure enough samples of the same woods that any consistent sonic effect of the wood would emerge from the 'noise' of the other potentially sonically-influential factors.

How then do some players say how much they can feel the body vibrating ? Well the skin mechanoreceptors via which we feel vibrations are very sensitive (but only to a rather narrow band of low frequencies; other frequencies are not felt at all). So it's easy for some players to convince themselves that the solid body is vibrating much more than it is. Especially given the echo chamber of famous players, guitar journalists, and guitar manufacturers who have been reinforcing and embellishing such misunderstandings of guitar physics for some decades. With the possible exception of one (non-US) manufacturer, none of the major electric guitar manufacturers do any guitar physics work (some acoustic manufacturers do some). And I have seen no evidence that they are even aware of the work done elsewhere. Admittedly, most of the work has been done in Europe (mainly in Germany and France), and some of the most important work has only been translated into English in recent years. But guitar manufacturers don’t employ such scientists, because you can build great guitars without a full understanding of their real physics.

Furthermore, when some players say "the body really resonates", as if it's obviously a "good" thing, they are basically failing to understand the Conservation of Energy Law. If the body were vibrating at a particular frequency due to energy from string vibrations, the strings would no longer be vibrating at that frequency - those vibrations would be lost from the strings. So not obviously a 'good' thing (the related notion of 'transfer of vibrations to the body' as a good thing is similar physics nonsense). Paul Reed Smith's notion of the "subtractive" nature of guitars is one thing about guitar physics he gets right. Of course you might subjectively "like" the sound of a guitar with a particular set of such losses (which have been measured as mostly to the neck and the bridge's internal vibrations). But once vibration energy at a particular frequency has been lost from the strings, you can't get it back.

Sure some guitars are ‘really resonant' as players say. But it's because most vibrations are remaining in the strings. That’s what they’re hearing. Some of that can be heard acoustically, but the acoustic sound is also mediated by other things that make it a less-than-ideal predictor of the amplified sound; which of course is also heavily influenced by the pickups (whose individual frequency response is not supplied by manufacturers, so we are usually just guessing about their sonic variability due to manufacturing variations) and the rest of the signal chain.

I've cited some of the published guitar science work that supports this overall picture elsewhere in this thread. But happy to supply more.
I hope everyone takes the time to read this. Really informative.

And you haven’t even begun to go into detail around the pickup frequency range vs the speaker in your amp vs human hearing range.

Although that gets way more complex for acoustic instruments. I guess that’s where psychoacoustics gets really interesting - can we actually ‘feel’ resonances beyond our hearing when watching an orchestra play live vs listening back on a high quality hifi, or is it a psychological phenomenon?

I’ve got to say, hearing a track from lord of the rings score played back via Abbey Road studio 2’s mixing room sounded mind-numbingly amazing. Not sure I remember a concert sounding that good. But the music was being fired at me in a way say, the royal Albert hall doesn’t. And I was excited to be there etc etc…
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:15 am

Well the necks changed noticeably. My no date '59/'60 JM neck is something completely different in feel than the NOV64 one.
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

Guitarman555
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Guitarman555 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:20 am

Pacafeliz wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:15 am
Well the necks changed noticeably. My no date '59/'60 JM neck is something completely different in feel than the NOV64 one.
Yes, I played 59 jazzmaster and it had wider neck than 64. (64 was more comfortable to me)

Axolotl
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Axolotl » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:34 am

I think a noticeable difference on earlier Jazzmasters necks is the taper amount. My 59 starts as rather thin and it gets baseball thick by the 12th fret, while my 65 and 66 have a much more consistent thickness throughout the neck.
Last edited by Axolotl on Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Guitarman555
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Guitarman555 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:01 pm

Axolotl wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:34 am
I think a noticeable difference on earlier Jazzmasters necks is the taper amount. My 59 starts as rather think and it gets baseball thick by the 12th fret, while my 65 and 66 have a much more consistent thickness throughout the neck.
Yes, exactly, taper shape, slim at the nut and wide at the 12th fret, wide but shallow. Man, it is to me hard to believe that the sonic differences between the 60´s evolution is only in pickups/bridge/nut and not in amount body pieces, or venner/slapboard. But obviously indeed, everybody in this discussion says that. On the other hand, even 2 guitars from the same year have different sustain. And I don´t belive that sustain is not affected by body wood.

Guitarman555
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Guitarman555 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:23 am

This video of Fender factory production shows that body really matters:) It is evident that sounds like jazzy or jag, but with strat pickups and strat bridge. Sound clearly influenced by offset body.
https://youtu.be/QuVD1zx-aUA

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:08 pm

Guitarman555 wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:23 am
This video of Fender factory production shows that body really matters:) It is evident that sounds like jazzy or jag, but with strat pickups and strat bridge. Sound clearly influenced by offset body.
Sounds like a Strat to me. Which is no surprise.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Guitarman555
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Guitarman555 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:34 pm

johnnysomersett wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:08 pm
Guitarman555 wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:23 am
Sounds like a Strat to me. Which is no surprise.
I can hear both, not only strat but jag/jazzy too, you can hear that jag typical "staccatto".

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:54 pm

I disagree. Sound's nothing like a Jaguar (and I have owned about 15 jaguars over the years).

It sounds like a Strat with overwound pickups. Which is basically what it is. That guitar could be this shape...

...and it'd more than likely sound identical. You're listening with your eyes.

garyptaszek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyptaszek » Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:44 am

johnnysomersett wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:54 pm
I disagree. Sound's nothing like a Jaguar (and I have owned about 15 jaguars over the years).

It sounds like a Strat with overwound pickups. Which is basically what it is. That guitar could be this shape...

...and it'd more than likely sound identical. You're listening with your eyes.
bro, it doesn't sound like a Strat because it doesn't have a Strat jack plate bro :shifty:

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:32 am

johnnysomersett wrote:
Yeah, I've been playing Jaguars primarily for the last 20 years and I hear absolutely no Jaguar in that tone.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Guitarman555
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Guitarman555 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:12 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:32 am
johnnysomersett wrote:
Yeah, I've been playing Jaguars primarily for the last 20 years and I hear absolutely no Jaguar in that tone.
And are you sure you hear only strat? I am not at all, hand on heart, this is not a pure strat sound.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:43 pm

Guitarman555 wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:12 pm
mbene085 wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:32 am
johnnysomersett wrote:
And are you sure you hear only strat? I am not at all, hand on heart, this is not a pure strat sound.
What's a "pure strat sound?" It's not a vintage strat tone, but you can put any manner of thick sounding pickup in any particular strat and get that type of tone.

It doesn't have the quick attack and rapid decay of a Jaguar, nor the BTB sympathetic resonance, which are really the only things inherent to a Jaguar (the rest can be changed via pickup swaps).
Last edited by Embenny on Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:43 pm

garyptaszek wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:44 am
bro, it doesn't sound like a Strat because it doesn't have a Strat jack plate bro :shifty:
Ahh, the Strat jack plate.... singlehandedly keeping the sales of straight plug guitar cables alive. Almost as annoying as the volume knob placement