Jazzmaster and Jag pre cbs evolution till mid 60 ś

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Re: Jazzmaster and Jag pre cbs evolution till mid 60 ś

Post by Sauerkraut » Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:32 am

mbene085 wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:04 am
Sauerkraut wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:51 am
And then some of us do believe wood (type and/or amount of pieces) makes a difference for the tone of solid-body electrics, while others believe it doesn’t. The latter position is backed up by scientific research, which has proven quite convincingly (imo) that it does not. The former is backed up by… marketing and myth-making? With all due respect, of course.
This post comes off as arrogant.

As someone who has spent his entire adult life reading scientific papers, I can tell you that it's important to match the strength of one's conviction with the strength of the evidence. I wouldn't say that that paper proves the point you think it does.

(…) Try to keep an open mind, and to address people respectfully. Saying someone's opinions are based on marketing and myth-making isn't whitewashed by following it up with, "with all due respect."
You’re absolutely right. Thanks for taking the time to write such a great reply to my frustrated ramblings.

I do get stupidly argumentative on here sometimes, and I’m sorry you have to put up with that. I suppose I find it frustrating when seemingly exhaustive research is dismissed so quickly in favor of anecdotal, personal experiences. But of course that doesn’t mean I can disrespect that opinion.

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Post by Sauerkraut » Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:51 am

I’m also in the “wood can change the sound by changing the feel”-camp. I find your earlier post quite convincing, mbene. But personally, I believe the difference that makes is subtle, and that this effect only applies to the wood you touch: the fretboard. Ash vs alder vs basswood bodies, 2 vs 5 vs 7; I hear no difference. As they’re usually covered by a nitro or poly finish, I also feel no difference.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought Fender used to list body wood because people might prefer one over the other aesthetically (for transparent finishes). Not because of any purported sonic qualities.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:05 am

Guitarman555 wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:27 pm
Another one, repaired neck pocket sounds same as intact?
Guitarman555 wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:27 pm
Another one, worn out board with thin rosewood sounds same as board with original non refretted neck?
These are both very odd questions. Have you ever played a guitar? :D
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Guitarman555
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Guitarman555 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:29 am

I have been playing guitar 10 years, and no repaired neck pocket. So I cannot say if there is influence on sound or not. At the same time I have seen guitars with worn fretboard but I haven'made any experimemts with changing necks. So if you it the answer is clear to you, you are wekcome to share it ;D

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:38 am

Guitarman555 wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:29 am
I have been playing guitar 10 years, and no repaired neck pocket. So I cannot say if there is influence on sound or not. At the same time I have seen guitars with worn fretboard but I haven'made any experimemts with changing necks. So if you it the answer is clear to you, you are wekcome to share it ;D
Do YOU think it would have any effect on the sound?

Guitarman555
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Guitarman555 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:43 am

johnnysomersett wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:38 am
Guitarman555 wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:29 am
Do YOU think it would have any effect on the sound?
Well before I thought so but this thread tells me that there would be no difference.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:03 am

There is solid, consistent scientific evidence for the sonic role of the (long, thin, flexible, composite) neck in real solid-body electric guitars (sample below). There is currently no similar evidence for the solid body.

Fleischer, H., & Zwicker, T. (1998). Mechanical vibrations of electric guitars. Acta Acustica, 84, 8.
Paté, A., Le Carrou, J.-L., & Fabre, B. (2013). Ebony vs. Rosewood: Experimental investigation about the influence of the fingerboard on the sound of a solid body electric guitar. Proceedings of the Stockholm Musical Acoustics Conference (SMAC2013), 182–187.
Paté, A., Le Carrou, J.-L., & Fabre, B. (2014). Predicting the decay time of solid body electric guitar tones. The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 135(5), 3045–3055.
Paté, A., Le Carrou, J.-L., & Fabre, B. (2015). Modal parameter variability in industrial electric guitar making: Manufacturing process, wood variability, and lutherie decisions. Applied Acoustics, 96, 118–131.
Paté, A., Le Carrou, J.-L., Teissier, F., & Fabre, B. (2015). Evolution of the modal behaviour of nominally identical electric guitars during the making process. Acta Acustica United with Acustica, 101(3), 567–580.
Sebera, V., Mikuljan, M., Niemelä, J. A., Prislan, R., Mrissa, M., Kutnar, A., & Pečnik, J. G. (2021). Electric guitar neck from densified poplar? Experimental and numerical analysis. 9TH Hardwood Proceedings - Part II (HWC2021). 76–82.
Zollner, M. (2010). The Physics of E-Guitars: Vibration – Voltage – Sound wave—Timbre. 8. 26th TONMEISTERTAGUNG – VDT International Convention.
Zollner, M. (2017). Die Bundhöhe als klangbestimmende Größe [The fret height as the size that determines the sound] (No. Z33; p. 10). www.gitarrenphysik.de/gitarre
Sproßmann, R., Zauer, M., Pfriem, A., & Wagenführ, A. (2013). Zum Einfluss der Holzart in Bassgitarrenhälsen auf das Schwingungs- und Klangverhalten [Investigation of the vibration and sound behaviour of bass guitars depending on the used wood species in the neck of the instrument]. Holztechnologie, 54(4), 19–25.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:53 am

Sauerkraut wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:51 am
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought Fender used to list body wood because people might prefer one over the other aesthetically (for transparent finishes). Not because of any purported sonic qualities.
Nah .. Fender is totally drunk on its own nonsense 'tonewood' koolaid ...
https://fendercustomersupport.microsoft ... e/KA-01944
"Alder: full and rich, with fat low-end, nice cutting mids, and good overall warmth and sustain.
Ash: exhibits a "snappier" tone with a bright edge, but with a warm bass and long sustain. "

More ...
https://www.fender.com/articles/tech-ta ... s-the-diff
https://support.fender.com/en-us/knowle ... e/KA-01916
https://www.fender.com/articles/how-to/ ... s-compared

Of course Fender is hardly a disinterested party in the discussion, given it charges a premium for guitars made of certain 'tonewoods'. Although it has started to hedge its bets on what it says in some places about the sonic 'importance' of woods like ash, as ash becomes harder to find; and as CITES continues to juggle its restricted international wood trading list. Of course having a vested interest doesn't preclude the possibility of there being solid science to back up the above quotes, which are fundamentally scientific assertions about guitar physics ... except that there isn't any such solid evidence from real guitars (only anecdotes and poorly-controlled demonstrations). You don't need to fully understand guitar physics in order to make great guitars (although it helps). And few people would take Fender as an authority on the subject - Fender have no staff with relevant physics-related qualifications/experience, they don't do any physics testing, and they have no history of statements that reflect any awareness of the significant body of published guitar science research (some of it on their guitars, by independent scientists).
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Post by Sauerkraut » Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:50 am

timtam wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:53 am
Sauerkraut wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:51 am
Nah .. Fender is totally drunk on its own nonsense 'tonewood' koolaid ...
No no, I meant back in '62, when they offered ash and alder. What I meant is that I think the whole idea of tone wood wasn't actually a thing back then. Ash was just considered prettier than alder for transparent finishes. Nicer grain. But I haven't seen examples of Fender making claims back then about alleged tonal differences between woods.

As for my own experiences, for what they're worth... I don't have a ton of experience with swapping stuff myself, but I did do some swapping of bodies and necks on two of my partscasters:
My partscaster Jazzmaster is on its fourth neck; one maple, two rosewood, currently pau ferro. To my ears, my Jazzmaster sounded exactly the same with the maple neck, I was really expecting it to sound brighter, because that's "what they tell you". I was even a little afraid it would be, because it's plenty bright as it is. But it really was no snappier, nor any brighter. So yeah, personally I think that whole maple is snappier/brighter, rosewood is darker/mellower thing is entirely imagined. The maple neck did feel and play different, but that was mainly due to its tall frets (too tall for me, so it went). What I took from that is that frets seem to be far more important to how a guitar feels and how you play it than what wood the fretboard is made of.
On my partscaster Telecaster, I swapped an alder body for an ash one. I needed a new body for a new finish, and both new bodies cost the same, so I figured... why not? Again, I couldn't hear any difference until I swapped the bridge. And I think the ash weighs marginally less, so that's nice for my back.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:52 am

Feels like TGP in here now, people going on about tonewoods

gishuk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gishuk » Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:56 am

I think the whole tonewood idea was just brought over from acoustic guitars (Where it very obviously makes a big difference, as does every part of an acoustic) and was just applied to electrics without any thought. This has gone on so long its become such an accepted idea that people actually feel somewhat uncomfortable with the idea that its got zero evidence backing it up. End up with people thinking some electric guitars sound 'brighter' plugged in because they have maple fretboards, which is patently absurd!

Highnumbers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Highnumbers » Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:58 am

There is a world of difference between people waxing on about “tonewoods” and a basic understanding that the density of certain woods has a minor effect on the sound. Even on a solidbody.

Whether or not you agree with this is another matter altogether. But let’s not flame those who have firsthand experience testing this out, while others are just reading about it online and making “scientific” claims.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:07 pm

johnnysomersett wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:52 am
Feels like TGP in here now, people going on about tonewoods
Next thing you know, we’ll be talking about hiding things from “the wife”, the careers of various modern blues players, and the never ending untouchable greatness of Suhr guitars.

I went on there recently to read Maggie’s Jag NGD. You should have seen the replies. One guy even asked her what kind of music she planned on making with it, but not in a caring matter. Real facetious like.
The worst attitudes seem to come from the pro musicians and session guys. Anyhow, let’s not open a wormhole, that can’t be closed.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

welshywelsh
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by welshywelsh » Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:24 pm

I'd imagine the sound is completely dependent on the genre you play too. If you're channeling Kevin Shields, that wall of fuzz is going to trample over any subtle differences in wood or whatever

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:20 pm

Highnumbers wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:58 am
There is a world of difference between people waxing on about “tonewoods” and a basic understanding that the density of certain woods has a minor effect on the sound. Even on a solidbody.

Whether or not you agree with this is another matter altogether. But let’s not flame those who have firsthand experience testing this out, while others are just reading about it online and making “scientific” claims.
It's worth saying that the guitar science literature presents a consistent picture of the physics of real solid body electric guitars - a significant body of work by independent (guitar-playing) scientists, on different guitars, using a range of different scientific methods, in different labs, over several decades. All pointing to similar, consistent conclusions. The results of that work is entirely consistent with everyone's real heard experience of guitars - just not always the ‘explanations’ for that heard experience that some people dreamed up.

Of course the material properties of wood affects way that vibrations pass through it, as they do for any material. But that falls far short of meaning that those properties are relevant in a real solid-body electric guitar. The actual research has shown that the long, thin, flexible, composite neck (neck wood, fretboard wood, truss rod, headstock) in real guitars has a sonic role. There is little evidence that the solid body has any any similar role. They are of course very different physical structures.

A large part of the evidence against the likelihood of any significant sonic role for solid body wood is that a mechanism does not obviously exist for it to play a significant role. Despite what some players believe, little vibration actually reaches the body from the strings. Bridge admittance (conductance) of real guitars is measured as very small, much smaller than that of the neck (where it can be significant). Direct measurements of body vibration also show that very little vibration reaches the body. Direct measurements of the proportion of string vibrations excited by the pick that remain in the strings show that the overwhelming proportion do so - unlike in an acoustic guitar. And direct sustain measurements show it to be much better than in acoustic guitars. Sustain has also been accurately predicted just from the neck's resonant modal frequencies and the string's properties. Together all that indicates that significant vibration energy cannot be leaving the strings.

So all in all, we have a panel of measurements from real guitars that consistently supports the contention that body vibration is not significant. So if little vibration ever reaches the body, the material properties of different solid body wood species, or even just different pieces of solid wood, has no real mechanism to significantly and variably affect the sonic output of the guitar.

Is it possible that one day we might still see an unequivocal, consistent measurement of a sonic effect of solid-body wood ? Of course. But the ‘bar’ of existing evidence is high. As it stands, all of the anecdotes or poorly controlled, supposed 'demonstrations' of solid wood effects are at least consistent with another important set of findings from the guitar science research - that there are many, many things that can sometimes (but not always) affect the sonic output of real solid body guitars. Many more than was once thought, and many not widely known by players (see for example ch7 of Zollner's "Physics of the Electric Guitar"). So just showing that two guitars made of different solid woods - that appear otherwise nominally similar - sound different unfortunately falls far short of evidence that solid wood is sonically important. To prove that, one would need to make a lot of exacting measurements to be sure that none of the other many factors varied between those two guitars, or measure enough samples of the same woods that any consistent sonic effect of the wood would emerge from the 'noise' of the other potentially sonically-influential factors.

How then do some players say how much they can feel the body vibrating ? Well the skin mechanoreceptors via which we feel vibrations are very sensitive (but only to a rather narrow band of low frequencies; other frequencies are not felt at all). So it's easy for some players to convince themselves that the solid body is vibrating much more than it is. Especially given the echo chamber of famous players, guitar journalists, and guitar manufacturers who have been reinforcing and embellishing such misunderstandings of guitar physics for some decades. With the possible exception of one (non-US) manufacturer, none of the major electric guitar manufacturers do any guitar physics work (some acoustic manufacturers do some). And I have seen no evidence that they are even aware of the work done elsewhere. Admittedly, most of the work has been done in Europe (mainly in Germany and France), and some of the most important work has only been translated into English in recent years. But guitar manufacturers don’t employ such scientists, because you can build great guitars without a full understanding of their real physics.

Furthermore, when some players say "the body really resonates", as if it's obviously a "good" thing, they are basically failing to understand the Conservation of Energy Law. If the body were vibrating at a particular frequency due to energy from string vibrations, the strings would no longer be vibrating at that frequency - those vibrations would be lost from the strings. So not obviously a 'good' thing (the related notion of 'transfer of vibrations to the body' as a good thing is similar physics nonsense). Paul Reed Smith's notion of the "subtractive" nature of guitars is one thing about guitar physics he gets right. Of course you might subjectively "like" the sound of a guitar with a particular set of such losses (which have been measured as mostly to the neck and the bridge's internal vibrations). But once vibration energy at a particular frequency has been lost from the strings, you can't get it back.

Sure some guitars are ‘really resonant' as players say. But it's because most vibrations are remaining in the strings. That’s what they’re hearing. Some of that can be heard acoustically, but the acoustic sound is also mediated by other things that make it a less-than-ideal predictor of the amplified sound; which of course is also heavily influenced by the pickups (whose individual frequency response is not supplied by manufacturers, so we are usually just guessing about their sonic variability due to manufacturing variations) and the rest of the signal chain.

I've cited some of the published guitar science work that supports this overall picture elsewhere in this thread. But happy to supply more.
Last edited by timtam on Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.