Jazzmaster and Jag pre cbs evolution till mid 60 ś

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
Hugo281
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Jazzmaster and Jag pre cbs evolution till mid 60 ś

Post by Hugo281 » Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:59 pm

what is true is that we cannot know in advance if a guitar will sound good or not.
on the same model of the same year we will find good and average models.
but the wood used is also an important factor.
david guilmour uses mapple necks all the time.
he needs that special twang on the mapple necks that brings a big attack and a clearer, less gritty timbre.
when I change the neck of one of my strat it becomes an unstoppable observation to my ears.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:06 pm

Someone should call Greenpeace, there's been a major snake-oil spill in this thread
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Highnumbers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Highnumbers » Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:01 am

What there has been in this thread is a whole lot of closed-minded groupthink.

Plenty of OSGers are intolerable to differing opinions, it seems.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:44 am

Highnumbers wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:01 am
closed-minded groupthink.
I think you mis-spelled 'educated and experienced consensus'

Highnumbers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Highnumbers » Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:22 am

That’s ripe.

Experience is the primary factor that people are rejecting in this thread.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:45 am

Highnumbers wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:22 am
That’s ripe.

I mean, you have for the most part agreed with everyone in this thread so far. I just read back the posts and you, me, and all the others have been saying basically the same thing. As for you objecting to the 'groupthink'...
Highnumbers wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:27 am
Agree with the crowd here, the pickups are the only change that substantially affects the sound.

The rest is all really minute details, mostly pertaining to personal preference.
But I'm not gonna sit here and argue with you if you're happy to just contradict all your earlier responses.

Highnumbers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Highnumbers » Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:11 am

johnnysomersett wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:45 am
Highnumbers wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:22 am
That’s ripe.

I mean, you have for the most part agreed with everyone in this thread so far. I just read back the posts and you, me, and all the others have been saying basically the same thing. As for you objecting to the 'groupthink'...
Highnumbers wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:27 am
Agree with the crowd here, the pickups are the only change that substantially affects the sound.

The rest is all really minute details, mostly pertaining to personal preference.
But I'm not gonna sit here and argue with you if you're happy to just contradict all your earlier responses.
No need to twist my words. The focus of this thread was dissecting differences over a five-year period between otherwise similar instruments.

To that point, I agreed that the pickups were the main factor that changed the sound.

Then somebody brought up ash bodies and the discussion shifted to comparing dissimilar instruments. That's the point at which I diverge my opinion, when you get into significant changes in materials.

But really though, no need to ridicule people for having a differing opinion.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:24 pm

Highnumbers wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:11 am

No need to twist my words. The focus of this thread was dissecting differences over a five-year period between otherwise similar instruments.

To that point, I agreed that the pickups were the main factor that changed the sound.

Then somebody brought up ash bodies and the discussion shifted to comparing dissimilar instruments. That's the point at which I diverge my opinion, when you get into significant changes in materials.

Apologies, I wasn't trying to twist words, I think I misunderstood the point you were making in that case. I'm sorry.

I wasn't ridiculing anyone, but the very 'TGP'-esque way of describing tonewoods etc that's starting to creep out in some posts I do find kind of funny, and it's not the sort of nonsense that's entertained much on here usually. I don't think a single person on this forum, or any other forums, could convincingly and consistently tell the difference between the sound of a rosewood or maple fretboarded guitar by sound alone. Or the body wood.

Highnumbers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Highnumbers » Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:08 pm

johnnysomersett wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:24 pm
Highnumbers wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:11 am

Apologies, I wasn't trying to twist words, I think I misunderstood the point you were making in that case. I'm sorry.

I wasn't ridiculing anyone, but the very 'TGP'-esque way of describing tonewoods etc that's starting to creep out in some posts I do find kind of funny, and it's not the sort of nonsense that's entertained much on here usually. I don't think a single person on this forum, or any other forums, could convincingly and consistently tell the difference between the sound of a rosewood or maple fretboarded guitar by sound alone. Or the body wood.
Cheers, I appreciate that.

If somebody claimed that red guitars sound better than black ones or something like that, it would certainly warrant some level of ridicule. But there is a more substantial argument to be made for the wood, and some people can discern a difference (even without getting into the "tonewoods" thing).

The real TGP approach would be people telling you how horrible vintage guitars are, and that anybody paying over $300 for a guitar is a fool. And then talk about tonewoods. :fp:

Guitarman555
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Guitarman555 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:15 am

Let´s get back to the original question in this thread. I would be interested about the steps in body, pickups, neck that were done between 1959 and 1965.
I have interesting question to talk about. Why do you think Jazzy from 59, 61, 63 sounds slightly different and sounds characteristics shifted slightly.... I was doing a bit research on internet and I found out following:
1. Body used to start as 1 or 2 pieces and in 65 started to be more pieces
2. Material and technique of wiring of pickups changed several times during early sixties
3. slab board to venner shift in 1962

Any more details to those points or any more evolutions that changed the sound? I would be curious to see pictures of differences of pickups coils through those years..

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:52 am

Guitarman555 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:15 am
Why do you think Jazzy from 59, 61, 63 sounds slightly different and sounds characteristics shifted slightly?
Because every guitar sounds different from the next one.

blacktiger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blacktiger » Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:09 am

Based on personal experience, the main difference is pickups, as has already been said by most people. I have owned a ‘67, a ‘64, two or three ‘65s, and a ‘62 Jazzmaster. The only one that sounded noticeably different was the ‘62, which I’m guessing was mainly the result of the earlier pickups. It was definitely “woodier” than the others. That said, I have never owned an ash body JM or a JM with an anodized gold guard, both of which reportedly result in a brighter sound (I’ll trust the people with first-hand experience on those points). How much brighter or different, I couldn’t say.
Thread killer

Guitarman555
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Guitarman555 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:27 am

I would be interested, when exactly:
1. What kind of pickups construction changes were made till 1965 and when exactly.
2. Body changes. Same for body, that obviously influences sound too, but less. (number of pieces of body etc).
3. Maybe also shape of neck could slightly influence the sound, but Fender was experimenting a lot with it, so here we cannot have any milestones. I am not mentioning veneer (to me slapboard sounds a bit darker), that came in mid 62 because everybody knows about it.

The other part, like bridge, nut were not changed (just slight construction changes that didn´t influence sound of course).

Guitarman555
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Guitarman555 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:19 pm

Guitarman555 wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:27 am
I would be interested, when exactly:
1. What kind of pickups construction changes were made till 1965 and when exactly.
2. Body changes. Same for body, that obviously influences sound too, but less. (number of pieces of body etc).
3. Maybe also shape of neck could slightly influence the sound, but Fender was experimenting a lot with it, so here we cannot have any milestones. I am not mentioning veneer (to me slapboard sounds a bit darker), that came in mid 62 because everybody knows about it.

The other part, like bridge, nut were not changed (just slight construction changes that didn´t influence sound of course).
Any fresh thoughts here?