What's wrong with this pre-CBS JM? Need advice

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What's wrong with this pre-CBS JM? Need advice

Post by øøøøøøø » Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:28 am

There is some merit to what’s being said above, but it feels perhaps a bit hyperbolic and overly-certain to me.

Here’s what I agree with:

As pure appreciating investments, there are far better choices than a vintage guitar (but there are also far worse ones—like cars)

Some instruments will beat inflation over time, and we can’t predict with anything close to 100% certainty which will be which (or the timetable on which it will occur)

If you can use the instrument(s) to make money (e.g. you’re a studio owner or session player and a reputation for having interesting vintage instruments helps drive business to you), the calculus about instrument-as-investment tilts to be more favorable. This more than offsets upkeep/maintenance and insurance costs

Patina is 100% a factor in provenance (therefore value) of an old instrument (not just guitars). If people like old guitars and pay for the privilege of owning an old guitar, cleaning all the “old” off and restoring it to “more like new” is destroying value, not creating it

I don’t personally care much about smoke smells. I don’t smoke and don’t like being around smokers, but half-century-old cigarettes aren’t going to kill me

Totally agreed that old residues can seem to fuse with old lacquer and you can easily do more harm than good by trying to remove them

Finally, I’ll add that we really can’t tell for sure the extent of the situation from one photo. You’ll have to visit it in person, I think

Nudger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Nudger » Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:40 am

so1up wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:03 pm

Do you think that a luthier/tech could do some magic and restore it to the original color if it's not a refin

JM
If that is untouched with orig patina it would be a shame to mess with it.. Plenty out there who are mad for old /untouched/worn guitars. Thats not me but I can appreciate the beauty. If legit its a fantastic example of a guitar thats had a life.
For those who would be offended by the smell.. Just double up on your perfume X

Guitarman555
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Guitarman555 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:31 pm

The jazzmaster looks cool, if I were you I would buy that, looks great, I think the stink will dissapeae if you have it sometime in nonsmoking place. I would be more curious about the parts of guitar, if they are original.

Britfingersisback
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Britfingersisback » Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:07 am

N0_Camping4U wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:26 pm
Am I the only one who thinks it looks cool as hell? As long as it didn’t stink or leave a stain on my arm… I’d rock the hell out of it. Especially if the price was right.
Same thoughts. Plus I would maybe get good old memories of my younger years when I would smell of cigarettes!

AwesomeWelles
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AwesomeWelles » Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:21 pm

Humid climate will do this to nitro finished guitars, too. Just sayin'...

señormisterioso
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by señormisterioso » Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:51 pm

"L" Serial numbers (1963-1965)

Maybe check here?
https://serialnumberlookup.fender.com/lookup/

Re-Photos: do you happen to have more than those two? I have a couple of jazzmasters that look like that (smoked), but get a picture of the pocket to make sure is not a refin.

Check pictures of electronics and pot numbers to make sure they haven't been replaced, same with the pickups, you should have double line kluson tuners I believe.

All that will matter to gauge how much you should pay for it.

That case is not original or fender made so that should already slice off $300 - $600 based on current case prices I think.

RBJM
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RBJM » Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:15 am

I have a '63 Jaguar that is coated with nicotine, smells like an ashtray and was clearly owned by a voracious smoker. I used vinegar to remove the tar from the chrome but the neck is considerably stained. It looks gnarly, but I love it.