The quest for Kurt's neck, show your vintage Competition '69-'71 Mustangs, you might have his twin

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
Amon 7.L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

The quest for Kurt's neck, show your vintage Competition '69-'71 Mustangs, you might have his twin

Post by Amon 7.L » Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:37 am

Hello everyone,
for those who stumbled on it and/or is following this adventure, me and AcrylicSuperman are still working on the JAG-STANG Prototype - Reverse Engineering project and we're now focusing our research on Kurt's Competition Mustang neck in order to get a better insight to what the actual nut & profile specs are.

In order not to increase an already very long thread with scattered data, we're now thinking about spicing things up a little bit and get this dedicated thread with a different and -hopefully- more engaging twist.

In short:
Everyone is much welcome;
You can stop here if you'd like the fun of the active detective work or just chime in to post your lovely vintage competition Mustangs beauties with no further obligation.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
That said, what we’re looking for now is to gather these measurements to see if we find patterns and or consistencies so, if you got a caliper at reach, this is the laundry list:

Year: 19xx
Neck size: A-B
Nut width:
1st – 12th fret thickness:
Back profile: C-D-U-V
Neck Thickness: Thin, Medium, Chunky.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

For reference, this is the back of Kurt’s Compstang:

Even though any bit of insight could be of great help even by simply posting pictures or measurements, Pics of the back of the neck will likely be important since we know the back of Kurt's directly bleeds into the headstock, same with the Jagstang prototype.

Thank you all.
Cheers

Amon 7.L & AcrylicSuperman

inkeye
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The quest for Kurt's neck, show your vintage Competition '69-'71 Mustangs, you might have his twin

Post by inkeye » Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:45 am

I'm curious if MoPop in Seattle would take some measurements of the Comp Stang if you gave them some money. Might be worth asking them to do.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The quest for Kurt's neck, show your vintage Competition '69-'71 Mustangs, you might have his twin

Post by sal paradise » Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:46 am

inkeye wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:45 am
I'm curious if MoPop in Seattle would take some measurements of the Comp Stang if you gave them some money. Might be worth asking them to do.
The guitar was sold in an auction earlier this year.
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

Amon 7.L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Amon 7.L » Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:07 am

sal paradise wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:46 am
inkeye wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:45 am
The guitar was sold in an auction earlier this year.
We did in fact asked and we've got the measurements of nut width and 1st & 12th fret thickness.

Problem is that we're now crossing data between those given measurements, Larry's own Mustang's neck (which was virtually Kurt's twin and was replicated to be the one in the JAG-STANG Prototype) and the specs of the Jagstang Production model (which was based off his MG69RI made by Scott Zimmerman) and I've found a conflict on which we're investigating.

It's not a bad thing per sè as we might just be in one of the scenarios we've been discussing earlier on behind the scenes that we've just disregard for lack of supporting data even though pretty plausible in the context already described in the master thread.

As we don't want to spread inaccuracies or misinformation before having enough data to confirm or dismiss what we're still processing, what we can do now is gather those measurement out of vintage mustangs of the same period and see what we get.