How much would you sacrifice...

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: How much would you sacrifice...

Post by JSett » Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:58 am

It's worth noting that we're not talking a 50k guitar here, more like 1/5th of that. It certainly would be insured (inside and outside of the house).

Realistically speaking, I could theoretically have the extra expenditure wrapped up and covered in possibly half the time I'm thinking if I really knuckled down to it. So it's just be the gear sacrifices to weigh up.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

gishuk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gishuk » Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:13 am

I'd probably go for it if its something you really, really want. Vintage guitars IMO aren't ever going to get any cheaper and if this is your one chance to scratch that itch then you may as well.

Especially if you're able to keep the couple of guitars that are most important to you and still have enough ability to go on some trips and stuff. If it doesn't turn out to be everything you hoped for then I doubt it would be too hard to sell it on for what you paid anyway, so its not that huge of a gamble.

I'm guessing this is some kind of custom colour JM? :D My only concern would be, as others have said, being worried about playing a guitar worth that much in the same way that you would normally, I know you're playing shows, would its value be a problem to use it in that situation?
Not quite the same thing, but one reason I sold the 65 Pelham Blue SG Junior I had was that it felt so fragile I wasn't able to enjoy it without worrying about breaking it and it was at the time the most valuable guitar I had owned (although since the crazy covid price rises my Jazzmasters have passed it considerably in value, but they don't have the same fragile feeling).

Jonesie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jonesie » Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:19 am

johnnysomersett wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:53 am
Jonesie wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:38 am
That all seems to be a bit much. It's a guitar, not a cure for cancer.
Well, I'm talking in the context of guitars, not 'big-picture' phycological debate. In the context of cancer cures/world peace/wealth disparity/institutionalised racism/broken governments/etc...sure, it's a bit much ::) That's why I didn't put this in the 'Misc Discussions' section.
Sorry if I came across wrong, cancelling a vacation (even though you said you take other ones) just seems a bit much for a guitar, as does selling most of your guitars. It just seems like a very large sacrifice for something that at the end of the day is just an object. With it being across the world as you said too, what if it doesn't live up to expectations when you finally get it in hand?

That's just my take though. I wouldn't want that much money tied up to a guitar. Hell, I feel guilty having a $2k guitar.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:22 am

I’m lukewarm on this idea. I personally don’t like to have all my eggs in one basket, and increasingly vintage gear is in the “not worth it” category for me.

I think we are similar in that we are minimalists at heart though, so I’m sure you’d manage just fine with less stuff if you decide to do it.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:30 am

gishuk wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:13 am
I'd probably go for it if its something you really, really want. Vintage guitars IMO aren't ever going to get any cheaper and if this is your one chance to scratch that itch then you may as well.
This was one of my main justifications for doing it now (as well as the specific thing popping up). I've had vintages in the 'before times' and regret selling them all on before they got expensive. And now I'm planning to get one again finally and watching them rise and rise and rise thinking "is it is now or never?".

I cant justify (or afford) 25k guitars, and in 10 years those fuckers are probably going to be 35k or more at this rate.
gishuk wrote:
I'm guessing this is some kind of custom colour JM? :D
:ph34r:

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:52 am

I think, in the end, it's what's all about.
Like window shoppi/wishing as a child.
Everyone has that ONE dream, that "she will be mine, oh yes, she will be mine" thing. I guess.

I recently read Johnny Marr's autobiography and I guess, if it's more than just normal GAS, do it.
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:54 am

johnnysomersett wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:30 am
gishuk wrote:
This was one of my main justifications for doing it now (as well as the specific thing popping up). I've had vintages in the 'before times' and regret selling them all on before they got expensive. And now I'm planning to get one again finally and watching them rise and rise and rise thinking "is it is now or never?".

I cant justify (or afford) 25k guitars, and in 10 years those fuckers are probably going to be 35k or more at this rate.
gishuk wrote:
I'm guessing this is some kind of custom colour JM? :D
:ph34r:
DUDE I BET IT'S THE BLUE ONE ON SOUTH SIDE GUITARS, innit?!
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:55 am

Pacafeliz wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:54 am
DUDE I BET IT'S THE BLUE ONE ON SOUTH SIDE GUITARS, innit?!
Nahhh. Although that was tempting...it's too much money

N0_Camping4U
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by N0_Camping4U » Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:29 am

If the wife is cool with it, and you can live up your end of the bargain of replenishing funds/bringing your lunch, and make it up to your wife later down the line - do it. Some dude on SurfGuitar101 once told me when I was mulling over if I should buy an early 60's Blonde Showman... "Life is too short for a 'B' rig"

It was a lot of money 6 years ago to drop on an amp. I got that sickly feeling as soon as I bought it. But I still have it, and it's gone up a lot in value. And I love that thing more than any other non-living thing on this planet. No regrets. It was an investment, really. Your guitar is an investment. But how much can it really increase? Shit is getting unobtainable price-wise.
"I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."

terminalvertigo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by terminalvertigo » Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:39 am

If it's located in Canada, I'm happy to help you get it cheaper to your location :P
GoodDeals:Jaguar018-Skip-Scotty66-Noirengineer-Panoramic-Soundhack-Tribi9-Stereordinary-Dug-Ginnungagap-Loomer-Eupat-FenderBob-Franco-AWSchmit-PeterHerman-TweedleDee-Diceman-Prospect-Danocaster-Glimmertwin-Jetset-Staytuned-ukfuzz-Aen-Atomicmassunit-MT,etc

garyptaszek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyptaszek » Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:09 am

... I think I know what it is... and I wouldn't. I think you'd end up just flipping it in 6 months anyway ;)

zepset
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by zepset » Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:37 am

I've done it, selling tons of stuff to get that one piece of gear I had to have. Never regretted it, even years and decades later. Only you can say how important that gold hardware LPB offset is to your peace of mind :)

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:35 pm

N0_Camping4U wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:29 am
If the wife is cool with it, and you can live up your end of the bargain of replenishing funds/bringing your lunch, and make it up to your wife later down the line - do it. Some dude on SurfGuitar101 once told me when I was mulling over if I should buy an early 60's Blonde Showman... "Life is too short for a 'B' rig"

It was a lot of money 6 years ago to drop on an amp. I got that sickly feeling as soon as I bought it. But I still have it, and it's gone up a lot in value. And I love that thing more than any other non-living thing on this planet. No regrets. It was an investment, really. Your guitar is an investment. But how much can it really increase? Shit is getting unobtainable price-wise.
People have been saying things can't go up any more for decades, they almost never stop (least not in my lifetime). The speed they rise may waver but, eventually, everything goes up.
terminalvertigo wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:39 am
If it's located in Canada, I'm happy to help you get it cheaper to your location :P
If it was, I'd definitely hit you up...even though I know there'd be a 'delay' :D
garyptaszek wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:09 am
... I think I know what it is... and I wouldn't. I think you'd end up just flipping it in 6 months anyway ;)
You probably do, but it's not that one. And I've not flipped that many guitars...FireStang has been well over a year
zepset wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:37 am
I've done it, selling tons of stuff to get that one piece of gear I had to have. Never regretted it, even years and decades later. Only you can say how important that gold hardware LPB offset is to your peace of mind :)
This is the stuff I want to hear hahaha although, I wish I could afford a gold hardware LPB :D

Rob
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rob » Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:02 pm

I say go for it -- and for all the good reasons folks have already provided; they only getting rarer, they're only getting more expensive, you still have a solid palette of gear, etc. Most of all, if it hits you hard enough that it starts twisting up your insides, it'll likely chew you up indefinitely if you let it get away.

Besides, you're a responsible adult, you have the buxx available, you have both the means and a plan to replenish the coffers by downsizing your inventory and tightening the domestic belt a little. And if it's worth that much money to you today, it'll likely be worth at least that much money later if you change your mind. But these are usually lifers.

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:04 pm

If you can afford it, do it

Don't settle for second best, you just won't be happy.

But do try before you buy.

You can always sell it if you need to.

HTH
:)