New Oldass Guitar Day

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
simonhpieman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New Oldass Guitar Day

Post by simonhpieman » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:21 am

Mechanical Birds wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:07 pm
smjenkins wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:28 am
Congrats! That thing looks to be in really good condition. The chrome is still so shiny!
How can you tell it’s an early one?! I’d love any kind of pointers on what to look for with these anyone is willing to share.

It is a truly, truly sick guitar! I was able to find tiny bits of checking but it was almost impossible it’s so subtle and all sealed under so no edges to snag my fingers on or anything. It’s probably just because it’s new, but I feel like a better player with it? Just randomly popped out some new technique stuff I’d never learned or practiced before, wrote a few riffs already, it just fucking zings dudes in almost every way :)

The only negatives are no tremolo, which isn’t as hard to live without so far because it’s such a joy to play, and the high e saddle height screws are different than the others and thus longer, so they stick out and have become an edge I DO scrape my hand on. I checked every other bridge I have looking for some smaller ones to swap, but everything I have is the same size, sadly. Dunno what to do in the short term about it but have to do something because it’s given me a couple painful scrapes already in the past 24 hours. Probably just gonna put tape over it lol
A telltale sign of an early one is that you're missing the serial number from the headstock and I'd therefore stick a fiver on it being on the neckplate instead. I think it was late 76 or early 77 that Fender started putting the serials on headstocks? Someone with a better memory than me will know I'm sure.

I know what you mean about your playing as well, the necks are such a great shape, they just beg to be played. The pups sound so good as a well, just a wonderful, wonderful thing.

If you do decide you don't want it anymore (not that that's looking likely now!!) PLEASE give me a shout! ;)

Mechanical Birds
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mechanical Birds » Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:20 pm

In my dreams somebody has a LPB Jaguar from 1966 but this is their dream guitar so they offer me a trade. Emphasis on dream though obviously.
But I’ll remember you :)

simonhpieman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by simonhpieman » Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:10 am

Mechanical Birds wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:20 pm
In my dreams somebody has a LPB Jaguar from 1966 but this is their dream guitar so they offer me a trade. Emphasis on dream though obviously.
But I’ll remember you :)
You're not so far off... I've got a 1970 LPB (refin) Jazzmaster and used to have a 1973 LPB as well...!!

But I digress. Really glad you're enjoying it, I think they're wildly underrated/quickly dismissed as 70s nonsense and very unfairly in a lot of cases.

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:19 am

Gorgeous guitar. I've always loved the natural maple ones and yours looks perfect. :?
Doug
@dpcannafax

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:08 am

I've had them basically all, at some point.
But the Starcasters, they always got away... :'(
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

badform
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by badform » Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:09 am

Mechanical Birds wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:57 am
Spent 9 hours in Pennsylvania yesterday to get this thing. A large chunk of that time was spent on the turnpike because somehow it’s legal to make roads with no exits or u-turn spots for 30 miles at a time that you only have to go on for 1/4 a mile to find a Steak n Shake that is no longer there and has been replaced by a fucking Roy Rogers so you end up going to a Cracker Barrel in Maryland because it somehow ends up being yr best option and the food is under seasoned and maybe you have COVID and that’s why you can’t taste it very much but you really hope that’s not the case…
I live in MD and I spend an inordinate amount of time driving in PA, and well... this is my life.

Oh, the roadtrips I've taken to pick up gear or go to jams hosted by a grade A level consipracy theorists or just about any other reason you can imagine. Good times.

That said, nice guitar! I've always wanted one of those.