Incoming 1962 Jazzmaster but a lot of questions

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
JVSeller
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Incoming 1962 Jazzmaster but a lot of questions

Post by JVSeller » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:04 am

Update: There's no update :(
Last edited by JVSeller on Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

JVSeller
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by JVSeller » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:16 pm

Just got the tracking number.
Last edited by JVSeller on Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

gishuk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gishuk » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:17 pm

Hopefully you get it soon, thats a ridiculous wait time for it to be shipped.

T70
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by T70 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:29 am

Cool, open it up when it gets to you and we can assess originality! The hardware at least looks original which seems promising for the internals. At least if there are swapped electronics and you want to return it, you have a good case since they plagiarized their description.

Do you plan to paint it?

JVSeller
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by JVSeller » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:13 am

T70 wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:29 am
Cool, open it up when it gets to you and we can assess originality! The hardware at least looks original which seems promising for the internals. At least if there are swapped electronics and you want to return it, you have a good case since they plagiarized their description.

Do you plan to paint it?
Yes, will definitely open it up so you guys can help me confirm it's all original,

It looks like a sweet natural refin in the pics so no plans to have it painted unless it looks a lot different in person.
Last edited by JVSeller on Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

JVSeller
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by JVSeller » Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:37 pm

Well, guitar is finally here.

More shortly
Last edited by JVSeller on Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

JVSeller
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by JVSeller » Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:26 pm

Almost impossible to believe is guitar was packed upside down with neck at opposite end of the shipping label. :( I've literally bought at least 50 guitars that I had shipped to me and shipped probably 100 more and this is the first time I've ever seen someone dumb enough to pack a guitar upside down.
Last edited by JVSeller on Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:35 pm

JVSeller wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:26 pm
Next almost impossible to believe issue is the guitar was packed upside down with neck at opposite end of the shipping label. :( I've literally bought at least 50 guitars that I had shipped to me and this is the first time I've ever seen someone dumb enough to pack a guitar upside down. Figures it had to be the most expensive by a factor of 5 of any guitar I've bought online.
Not sure what you mean by upside down? It wasn't shipped in a case?
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

JVSeller
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by JVSeller » Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:05 pm

andy_tchp wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:35 pm
JVSeller wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:26 pm
Next almost impossible to believe issue is the guitar was packed upside down with neck at opposite end of the shipping label. :( I've literally bought at least 50 guitars that I had shipped to me and this is the first time I've ever seen someone dumb enough to pack a guitar upside down. Figures it had to be the most expensive by a factor of 5 of any guitar I've bought online.
Yes in the case but headstock down and body up. In other words they put the case in the box then put the shipping label on the wrong end of the box so it’s been sitting ass up the whole time.
Last edited by JVSeller on Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

JVSeller
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by JVSeller » Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:30 pm

The listing said the guitar came with paperwork but that was a stretch. Only thing in there is a printed copy not original copy of the owners manual and a receipt for a setup from 2012 that says :

setup 10’s 75 dollars
1 set strings 5 dollars
Clean pots, etc 25 dollars
Last edited by JVSeller on Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

JVSeller
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by JVSeller » Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:27 pm

Not sure how to remove the tremolo bar. I’ve turned it enough to be pretty sure it doesn’t unscrew but I’ve also pulled on it pretty damn hard and it doesn’t seem to want to budge. Is there a trick to it?

I got the neck off and heel says 2/62. So far so good. The pocket is painted red which was obviously the original color.
Last edited by JVSeller on Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:49 pm

JVSeller wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:05 pm
andy_tchp wrote:
Yes in the case but headstock down and body up. In other words they put the case in the box then put the shipping label on the wrong end of the box so it’s been sitting ass up the whole time.
I hate to shatter any illusions about the way freight is treated during transit but this is less than a non-issue. Nobody in the chain of handlers cares which side the shipping label is on, it will have literally been thrown around facilities/vehicles/conveyor belts/cages and oriented in whatever way made it fit in with the rest of the cargo the easiest.

(Aside from that it doesn't matter anyway... there is no damage to be caused having the guitar oriented 'upside down').

For the most recent replies:

Bridge just sits in the thimbles and is held in place by the strings - Intonation screws towards the tailpiece.

Pickguard is most likely lightly bonded to the finish underneath. If you're taking the guard off make sure you have a piece of wood you can re-attach it to (all screws) so it doesn't shrink further than it already has.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

JVSeller
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by JVSeller » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:32 pm

andy_tchp wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:49 pm
JVSeller wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:05 pm
andy_tchp wrote:
I hate to shatter any illusions about the way freight is treated during transit but this is less than a non-issue. Nobody in the chain of handlers cares which side the shipping label is on, it will have literally been thrown around facilities/vehicles/conveyor belts/cages and oriented in whatever way made it fit in with the rest of the cargo the easiest.

(Aside from that it doesn't matter anyway... there is no damage to be caused having the guitar oriented 'upside down').

For the most recent replies:

Bridge just sits in the thimbles and is held in place by the strings - Intonation screws towards the tailpiece.

Pickguard is most likely lightly bonded to the finish underneath. If you're taking the guard off make sure you have a piece of wood you can re-attach it to (all screws) so it doesn't shrink further than it already has.
Thanks man. I’ve bought and sold, shipped and had shipped hundreds of guitars. You can check out my reverb store if linking it here is allowed. If you don’t believe there’s a top and a bottom of a bottom and that the label goes on the top often with the words “this end up” and the head of the guitar goes at that end, I don’t know what to tell you, but trust me, doing it this way is wrong and the one and only time I’ve seen this. It did actually cause a little damage to the inside of the case but not worth worrying about.

Got the pickguard off and Everything looks legit as far as I can tell. Have my pictures hosted at Imgbb, thanks for the tip!

Took a picture of the pots but it’s not very clear. Hopefully someone can take a look and see if you can decipher the date. If not I’ll open it up again and try to get a better view.
Last edited by JVSeller on Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

GreenKnee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GreenKnee » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:47 pm

If you upload photos to somewhere like imgbb.com then there will be an option of direct links where the URL will end with .jpg
Post that URL in-between these two: [ img ][ /img ] without the spaces

The pickguard will continue to shrink when off the guitar so please heed the advice above and get it either screwed back on to the guitar or a piece of wood to prevent it from shrinking further.

There's a wealth of information regarding how to treat and maintain offset instruments on YouTube (look up Puisheen) and this should help you get to grips with things.

JVSeller
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by JVSeller » Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:04 am

Okay, here’s some pics.

Here it is with the neck off. The finish is really really nice. I don't know if it's nitro or poly but it's super thin without flaws so kudos to whoever did it and definitely no plans to get it painted. The 2 piece body has great grain.

Ash, correct?
Last edited by JVSeller on Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.