Incoming 1962 Jazzmaster but a lot of questions

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
terminalvertigo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Incoming 1962 Jazzmaster but a low of questions

Post by terminalvertigo » Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:38 am

HNGD!

It doesnt look too bad in natural either!
GoodDeals:Jaguar018-Skip-Scotty66-Noirengineer-Panoramic-Soundhack-Tribi9-Stereordinary-Dug-Ginnungagap-Loomer-Eupat-FenderBob-Franco-AWSchmit-PeterHerman-TweedleDee-Diceman-Prospect-Danocaster-Glimmertwin-Jetset-Staytuned-ukfuzz-Aen-Atomicmassunit-MT,etc

JVSeller
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by JVSeller » Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:52 am

JVG wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:07 am
Looks nice. It will be fun to see if there are signs of its previous colour lurking under the guard.

Is it just the photo angle, or is the high E string really close to the fretboard edge?
I'll definitely post some pictures when she arrives and see what we can discover. I sure hope everything is original as listed. I have to say, it's one of the prettiest JM I've seen in the photos.

I noticed that too as far as the high E. I hope it's just the angle of the photo. The nut looks normal to me.

JVSeller
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by JVSeller » Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:58 am

gishuk wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:42 am
JVSeller wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:13 am
So as you can see from the pictures, the guitar looks absolutely killer.

But here's where things get sketchy. I was reading the description after I had already placed my bid yesterday with my max bid being 4200 and I ended up getting it at 4000. But anyway this part of the description bothered me "There are some cracks in the lacquer, although never through the body"

I was like, what does that mean? I don't see any cracks and don't know how old this refinish is or if it is even lacquer. So I started looking up all the 62's I could find on the web and came across this long ago sold listing from what I believe is a British Shop called Max Guitars:

https://max.guitars/en-eu/fender-1962-v ... -arc-00032

I started reading about this 62 Jazzmaster and thought "damn, that sure sounds familiar" so I went back to the description of the guitar I had my pending bid in on, and I'll be damned if the auction description wasn't plagiarized word for word from this listing.

So obviously this makes the validity (and integrity) of the auction description be very suspect considering they didn't make any good faith effort to evaluate and describe the guitar but rather just stole the description of a completely different guitar. Of course this doesn't mean the description of the guitar being all original definitely not true, but it sure makes me leary of them.
Small world, I bought that Jazzmaster in the link from Max Guitar.

The one you've bought looks great to me.
Cool, man, definitely a small world when it comes to these vintage offsets. Sounds like you got a smokin' deal from the price your guitar was listed. I sure hope the auction house was just lazy, but I still think it is pretty sketchy to just steal the description of a different guitar from the web rather than have an inhouse expert make an actual evaluation of the piece.

JVSeller
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by JVSeller » Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:27 am

JVG wrote:
Looks nice. It will be fun to see if there are signs of its previous colour lurking under the guard.

Is it just the photo angle, or is the high E string really close to the fretboard edge?
As I think about it, don't the saddles have ridges allowing moving the string left and right? I'm thinking it probably just needs to be slotted more to the left/superior. Hard to say with no pictures without the bridge cover. I sure hope that's all it is anyway.

Mondaysoutar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mondaysoutar » Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:09 pm

JVSeller wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:27 am
JVG wrote:

As I think about it, don't the saddles have ridges allowing moving the string left and right? I'm thinking it probably just needs to be slotted more to the left/superior. Hard to say with no pictures without the bridge cover. I sure hope that's all it is anyway.
That’s exactly what I bet it’ll be man. If it’s the original bridge it’s surely that.

JVSeller
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by JVSeller » Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:47 pm

Invoice came in today so one step closer to getting her home. Sales price 4,000. Auction Buyers Premium 1040.00, shipping surprisingly reasonable at 70 dollars plus 59 handling and 19 insurance. And in fact they offer a 3% discount on the buyers premium which is off the total sales price so knocks it down by another 150 making the premium around $900.00. But the real kick in the ass is paying California state and local sales tax of 532.00!! They actually miscalculated it up by a few buck by listing it at 10.25% when it's actually 10.125%. It's ridiculous that you have to pay sales tax to California for a private purchase from Florida. With the discount and if they correct the sales tax to total should be $5573.00 By far the most money I've ever spent on a guitar, but honestly a good investment I think if it is really all original and looks as good as the pictures. It looks like it's basically been a case queen since the refinish which quite possibly was decades ago. The listing says it comes with paperwork. It will be very interesting to see what that includes.

I'm getting pretty excited :w00t: even though it's probably still a couple weeks before she will actually arrive. I'll update when she gets here.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:54 pm

A relative bargain in today’s market. Looks nice.

JVSeller
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Incoming 1962 Jazzmaster but a lot of questions

Post by JVSeller » Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:03 pm

Well, check cleared so there's that. Item being moved to shipping dept. This is a slow process. I think I should get her by next week hopefully.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:33 pm

JVSeller wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:47 pm
I'm getting pretty excited :w00t: even though it's probably still a couple weeks before she will actually arrive. I'll update when she gets here.
JVSeller wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:03 pm
Well, check cleared so there's that. Item being moved to shipping dept. This is a slow process. I think I should get her by next week hopefully.
Please dude, can I politely request you don't 'she/her' guitars?

I think I can speak on behalf of most here when I say this: we don't tend to 'she' or 'her' our guitars here on OSG. This is not TGP.

Much thanks 👍🏻
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

caples
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by caples » Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:05 am

johnnysomersett wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:33 pm
JVSeller wrote:
JVSeller wrote:

I think I can speak on behalf of most here when I say this: we don't tend to 'she' or 'her' our guitars here on OSG. This is not TGP.

Much thanks 👍🏻
+1
1969 Comp Blue Mustang, 1965 Natural Jaguar

Nudger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Nudger » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:37 am

caples wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:05 am
johnnysomersett wrote:
JVSeller wrote:
JVSeller wrote:

Much thanks 👍🏻
+1
Way to suck the joy outa some ones excitement/anticipation of a new guitar..
You dont speak on my behalf

countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by countertext » Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:13 am

Nudger wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:37 am
caples wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:05 am
johnnysomersett wrote:

Much thanks 👍🏻
+1
Better to be made aware of your casual sexism by some dudes on a guitar forum than by people irl that you genuinely care about. OSG is doing you a favor.

PS to OP: Congratulations on the guitar. Post pics when you can, make good noises with it.

JVSeller
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by JVSeller » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:02 am

johnnysomersett wrote:
JVSeller wrote:
JVSeller wrote:

Much thanks 👍🏻
Would not a rose by any other name be just as badass?

Anyway, still no shipping info. This wait is getting difficult.

While we're waiting, okay, the finish on these pics looks absolutely killer to me. I'm assuming there certain shops that did refin that were more highly regarded. The listing said it includes paperwork. It's probably wishful thinking but I'm hoping the paperwork includes original paperwork along with the refinishing details. I could have asked them to send pictures of whatever paperwork they have but figured I'd just wait for the unboxing. #tired of waiting.

On the negative, doesn't the rosewood look kind of weird in the attached pictures? I'm used to vintage rosewood looking darker, more oily, deeper grain pores with time, where this looks faded, smooth and dry. And the frets look too perfect. I'm wondering if it had the fretboard sanded and a re-fret.

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:05 am

johnnysomersett wrote:
You are certainly speaking for me, and thanks for saying it. I hate HATE putting a gender on inanimate things.
Nudger wrote:
This forum is enlightened. If you don’t agree with this stuff your joy will be completely sucked. I remember some friction you were involved in not too long ago. A small part of my joy was sucked reading that, but then you turned out to be reasonable.

You seem to be fine speaking on the OP’s behalf here. We don’t actually know their joy was sucked. So let’s agree the only joy that is known to be sucked was yours, by inference. Was it Nug? Was your joy sucked? Now let’s account for the joy sucked IN to this thread by Johnny’s comment. Mine and at least two others got an influx of joy reading his post. The net change here is a gain.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:17 am

Nudger wrote:
I said "of most people". Get your knickers untwisted.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?