Competition Mustang, except it barely has an original part on it ...

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
stratoclutter
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Competition Mustang, except it barely has an original part on it ...

Post by stratoclutter » Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:35 am

I've been heavily recording with this, it features heavily on this track

https://rousetheboroughs.bandcamp.com/t ... art-of-tin

Found in the depths of Reverb, at first I thought it was a heavily worn japanese reissue but ... turned out to be a legit early 70s 'Stang

Pickups are some form of early Seymour Duncan single coils, no clue what they are exactly, they sound a bit hotter than regular single coils so there is that ... Oh yes ... those tuners are Schallers made in West Germany ! My only change was to the Mastery Bridge to replace the pitted original, it sounds amazing and just works ! thought I'd share it here !

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Competition Mustang, except it barely has an original part on it ...

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:17 am

It looks as though only the pickups, bridge & tuners are non-stock though, right? There're still quite a few original parts on it!

I had the very same guitar but mine was squeaky clean & I ended up selling it on, a little before these shot up in price.
Strangely, I slowly went of the competition stripe, finding it a bit too flashy. Still, it's a gorgeous colour combo.
I love Mustangs though. Great tone & the perfect size for me. I just wish the vibratos weren't so temperamental.

A couple of black pickup covers & maybe some strong tape behind the pickguard should clean things up a lot.

Oh, and throw the Mastery in the bin & buy a Staytrem ;) ;D
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:45 am

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:17 am

Oh, and throw the Mastery in the bin & buy a Staytrem ;) ;D
A man of culture. 8)

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:11 am

Keep the Mastery; don't be fooled by the Staytrem hype. Mine is a dog. It barely intonates with 10-46 strings and flops back in its mount if I pull up on the bar.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:30 am

There's always one! ::) ;)

Interestingly, this is the very first time I've read a complaint about a Staytrem bridge but I've read several about Masterys.

Sorry for the thread de-rail.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

stratoclutter
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stratoclutter » Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:27 pm

I had tried the Stay Trem on another guitar, I guess that the mastery system works well for me, I have a peculiar way of setting up my guitars and at this point from tension, break angle to string height it's just simpler for me to copy and paste from one axe to another what I want.

I know that the Stay Trem is closer to the original bridge in looks but tbh, I've been recording a ton of music in the last few years and I put a ton of focus on tried tested and true right now ... I usually have more time experimenting between records but the latest one had 9 songs and we're already working on 2 new ones for the third ... Who has time !!!

GreenKnee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GreenKnee » Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:42 am

Maggieo wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:11 am
Keep the Mastery; don't be fooled by the Staytrem hype. Mine is a dog. It barely intonates with 10-46 strings and flops back in its mount if I pull up on the bar.
I've also found this with the Staytrem. Apparently a greater break angle will help remedy this, but my neck's already fairly well shimmed...
I prefer the Mastery for reliability purposes, I just know it's going to work throughout an hour long set, whereas the Staytrem may move and throw out the intonation.
The Staytrem looks nicer, and feels nicer to palm mute on. Pros and cons for both so use whichever you're happiest with :)