help me date this JM body (vintage find) - need expertise again

Discussion of vintage Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Bass VIs, Electric XIIs and any other offset-waist instruments.
fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

help me date this JM body (vintage find) - need expertise again

Post by fuzzking » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:56 am

another find from the plethora of moving boxes:
went to my dad's place to pick up parts that I stashed away ages ago (last 15 years have been so-so), found the box which said: "vintage parts" and found a few wah-wahs and other old stuff. mission was to find a vintage pickguard and harness. emptied the box and the box still weighed 3 kgs. an extra layer of cardboard. wtf? seems like I stashed something away. like my bitcoins. took the extra piece of cardboard out (seems like I wanted to protect what's underneath back then?), okay, a big bubble wrap envelope, it must be a guitar body. I know, this all must sound like bullcrap to most of ya, but this is what I found
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSnFp3dVcNY
Nobody exists on purpose.

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: help me date this JM body (vintage find) - need expertise again

Post by fuzzking » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:10 pm

and please excuse the excenricity. how can we identify the OG year? I've been trying to find the original thread from ages ago (I think this was the body that I refinn'd in comp: Orange around 2003-5) but I simply can't vouch for it. upon further rumination, I sent the_older_brother some kind of vintage body and kept requesting a banana vintage white. I most likely would have done so

old-timers: any kind of analysis (maybe even just for fun's sake?) would be highly appreciated. I don't want to advertise this thing for what it might not even be worth. I'd really need some input from some original offset guitar gangstas first.

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:44 pm

whatever, I was so excited to find that old wood

countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by countertext » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:57 pm

A lot of those old timers only check new threads on Monday when they’re supposed to be working. Your vid already had 30-something views when I looked, so somebody will have an idea eventually.
Last edited by countertext on Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:38 pm

Hey Mike, is this the thread you were looking for? I did a bit of digging & found it.

I always had a thing for Comp Orange Mustangs (a friend bought one around the same as me buying my '59) and I remember you discussing refinishing a body. I was so sure you should go the orange route I drew this...

Maybe you stripped it again after the stripes didn't work out?
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:48 am

I removed the offending post.

Let's all remember site rule #1:
1. If you don't have anything useful to add, don't say anything. Be polite and respectful. Disagreement can be good and is perfectly acceptable. Don't take it personally if someone disagrees with you. Personal attacks, insults, hate speech or trolling will not be tolerated, and neither will displays of racism, homophobia, etc.
Resident Spartan.

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:15 am

thanks Zhiv.

To anyone I offended: my excuses. I'm on experimental meds at the moment. :-X maybe I had three tabs open and typed the wrong answer into the wrong thread in the wrong forum, maybe I meant to be 'funny'. I can't pee (new meds), I'm aggro (new meds), I can't sleep (new meds), I have meomory loss (new meds) Not much of an excuse, I know, but sort of an explanation. Mods gave me a slap (thanks!), and I'll try and stay way until stuff has settled. Thanks for the patience.

A big excuse to anyone I offended. :ph34r:

FrankRay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FrankRay » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:10 am

Well, I'm not too up on Jazzmasters in general, but Fender started using paint trees in mid-late 62, so before that there wouldn't be any bare wood showing in the neck pocket. This must be later than July-ish 62.

It looks like it might be original paint, but in really good condition. Not sure.